Player Watch #32 Samson Ryan

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
What's our obsession with Brisbane academy players? Fully expecting us to draft the whole lions academy with our 6 picks next year in the super draft
Hmmm Obsession with Brisbane Academy playrs

Am i in the wrong thread ? Thought this was about a Brisbane Academy player names Samson Ryan

Miller1971

Club Legend
Jun 15, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Been watching this kid for 2 or 3 years. He's definitely not AFL ready. Lions had a free shot at him last year and didn't take him, however their own academy completely stuffed him around - so was probably a blessing in disguise.

Every time I see this kid he seems to have grown 2cm and put on 5kg, so thats a big positive.

His engine is good, strong hands in the air, one of the best tap ruckmen you will see and his foot and hand skills are elite for someone his size. However, he will get monstered by AFL ruckmen everywhere but at the centre bounce, needs to seriously work on his core strength - gets pushed under the footy and loses his feet.

He massively benefited from playing QAFL Senior footy this year and just settling in one place, these academy types when they are are aged 17-18 they end up playing for about 5 or 6 different teams and its no good for them, seems the better they are, the more teams they get bounced between. His improvement in the last 12 months was immense, he was nowhere near it 12 months ago. I put that down to training and playing at the one club with only 1 senior coach in his ear, not bloody 6 or 7 of them.

Also, word on the street is that he can have a bit of an ego - but I'm sure that will be knocked out of him pretty quick in an AFL environment.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Been watching this kid for 2 or 3 years. He's definitely not AFL ready. Lions had a free shot at him last year and didn't take him, however their own academy completely stuffed him around - so was probably a blessing in disguise.

Every time I see this kid he seems to have grown 2cm and put on 5kg, so thats a big positive.

His engine is good, strong hands in the air, one of the best tap ruckmen you will see and his foot and hand skills are elite for someone his size. However, he will get monstered by AFL ruckmen everywhere but at the centre bounce, needs to seriously work on his core strength - gets pushed under the footy and loses his feet.

He massively benefited from playing QAFL Senior footy this year and just settling in one place, these academy types when they are are aged 17-18 they end up playing for about 5 or 6 different teams and its no good for them, seems the better they are, the more teams they get bounced between. His improvement in the last 12 months was immense, he was nowhere near it 12 months ago. I put that down to training and playing at the one club with only 1 senior coach in his ear, not bloody 6 or 7 of them.

Also, word on the street is that he can have a bit of an ego - but I'm sure that will be knocked out of him pretty quick in an AFL environment.

Good info thanks. I thought in his highlights he was getting shoved under the ball pretty easily as well. Maybe the Tigers reason he will improve sharply in that area under full time training, giving him a chance to be a well rounded big man at AFL level. Or maybe they know it is always likely to be a limitation but they can use the likes of Balta and Lynch at throw ins in future years to complement him if he makes it.

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
I know that there is a degree of tongue in cheek here, but I am hopeful that the pick of Martyn and Cumberland are two of the most astute draft choices that we have ever made.

granted that proof is going to be in pudding, but I am more curious about these two than most of the other pick ups.
I think we bid on Hipwood too. Trusted scouts up up Sunshine state. I'd put my hand up for that task. Hang on is that Hipwood's brother. Let me investigate...

Last edited:

Miller1971

Club Legend
Jun 15, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
I probably watched 3-4 full games of his this year.

Wehenever he rucked D50, the oppo key forward would push him out, take the ball from the ruck and regularly had a shot on goal. His biggest flaw by far.

Just needs to build his core and be more aware that ruck isn't always about aerial ability.

I don't know how old he is, but there was a bloke playing for Marcoohydoore called Jacob Simpson who won the evquivalent of the AFLCA Medal for the QAFL competition and he was the best ruck in the competition by far, including Ryan and Fraser Thurlow. This kid could do it all, I'd be shocked if clubs weren't looking at him - but he might be a bit older.

Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers

Keeping a good weight while growing is difficult. So thats a plus. RCD had that growth spurt problem

Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers

Wehenever he rucked D50, the oppo key forward would push him out, take the ball from the ruck and regularly had a shot on goal. His biggest flaw by far.

Just needs to build his core and be more aware that ruck isn't always about aerial ability.

I don't know how old he is, but there was a bloke playing for Marcoohydoore called Jacob Simpson who won the evquivalent of the AFLCA Medal for the QAFL competition and he was the best ruck in the competition by far, including Ryan and Fraser Thurlow. This kid could do it all, I'd be shocked if clubs weren't looking at him - but he might be a bit older.
This was Hawkins ruck trick. Hard to combat even for mature AFL players

Miller1971

Club Legend
Jun 15, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
I know that there is a degree of tongue in cheek here, but I am hopeful that the pick of Martyn and Cumberland are two of the most astute draft choices that we have ever made.

granted that proof is going to be in pudding, but I am more curious about these two than most of the other pick ups.

Cumberland maybe. Martyn needs to learn a hell of a lot before he is even remotely ready, but I guess he''s in the right environment for learning.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
This was Hawkins ruck trick. Hard to combat even for mature AFL players
Why ? Dont think a ruckman has to get into a wrestle with Hawkins . They can just keep distance and jump over him or tackle him once he grabs the ball
This was shown on 360 with king and montagna and the players that played him without wrestling were more effective

db26

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2007
Punt road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa,A-league
Cumberland maybe. Martyn needs to learn a hell of a lot before he is even remotely ready, but I guess he''s in the right environment for learning.

Great information.To be honest Martyn is highly rated at the ćlub was emergency couple times what were his weaknesses.

On Cumberland were do you see his best position on the ground.Ryan got time to develop good thing his is improving continually.

Miller1971

Club Legend
Jun 15, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Martyn dominated junior footy, but struggled against men or in representative footy as he finds it hard to accept that midfields operate as a unit. He just wants to win the footy and won't do anything other than hunt the footy. Watch a stoppage and look at how Richmond mids block for Dusty, or Cotch etc - Martyn is incapable of being anything other than the #1 ball winning mid, and he would be a long way down the pecking order for that role at the Tigers

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Great information.To be honest Martyn is highly rated at the ćlub was emergency couple times what were his weaknesses.

On Cumberland were do you see his best position on the ground.Ryan got time to develop good thing his is improving continually.
Whilst Cumberland has mainly played foward in juniors and has midfield ability he also has some mongrel and run and i would love to see him tried in the Houli position now that Markov & Egg are gone. He is very quick and a good size but kicking would need to improve

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Martyn dominated junior footy, but struggled against men or in representative footy as he finds it hard to accept that midfields operate as a unit. He just wants to win the footy and won't do anything other than hunt the footy. Watch a stoppage and look at how Richmond mids block for Dusty, or Cotch etc - Martyn is incapable of being anything other than the #1 ball winning mid, and he would be a long way down the pecking order for that role at the Tigers

Pretty sure Richmond wouldn’t recruit Martyn or almost anyone else just wanting them to hunt the footy. They will try to develop his game and if he doesn’t develop the attributes they want, they won’t persevere.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond

Yes, but Hawkins is Hawkins. This kid was getting pushed out by blokes who are 185cm and 90kg
Thanks for the insight on Samson & others.:thumbsu:

Dragonss

Premiership Player
Jun 9, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New Orlean Hornets
Whilst Cumberland has mainly played foward in juniors and has midfield ability he also has some mongrel and run and i would love to see him tried in the Houli position now that Markov & Egg are gone. He is very quick and a good size but kicking would need to improve
Really? The writeup on Cumberland was that he was a good left kick, even his highlights package showed him having a penetrating pick (know highlights package only shows the best, but still).

wart101

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 18, 2006
Under the fridge
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Portland FC

Are you an expert?

Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
Not an expert, but an avid watcher of the upper levels of QLD footy and a former recruiter at clubs other than Richmond. I never recruited anyone any good though, so take my views with a grain of salt.

Most clubs don't really listen though, even if you're on the payroll!
RFC seems to taking quite a few good Qld kids. Looking forward to 2021. PS keep up the posting I find it intresting

Back