Player Watch #32 Samson Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

Not an expert, but an avid watcher of the upper levels of QLD footy and a former recruiter at clubs other than Richmond. I never recruited anyone any good though, so take my views with a grain of salt.

Most clubs don't really listen though, even if you're on the payroll!

Cool, i'm not sure a win ball only type players are wanted in the game anymore? who are we talking about here like a Tom Mitchel? or win ball but team orientated player like dusty?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not an expert, but an avid watcher of the upper levels of QLD footy and a former recruiter at clubs other than Richmond. I never recruited anyone any good though, so take my views with a grain of salt.

Most clubs don't really listen though, even if you're on the payroll!
You can’t recruit them if the talent you are watching is not there. We’re there any players you missed or that you recommended that made the grade?

Maybe he will go cry himself to sleep on his giant pillow.

Look at the size of that thing, it's a virtual planatoid.... its got its own weather system

Good info thanks. I thought in his highlights he was getting shoved under the ball pretty easily as well. Maybe the Tigers reason he will improve sharply in that area under full time training, giving him a chance to be a well rounded big man at AFL level. Or maybe they know it is always likely to be a limitation but they can use the likes of Balta and Lynch at throw ins in future years to complement him if he makes it.

It was a pretty noticable negative in his game. Though, later in the highlights he did get a bit stronger and push into it a bit more. I'm stunned by this pick to be honest, but, maybe he is cheap insurance for the next 12 months.

I probably watched 3-4 full games of his this year.

Wehenever he rucked D50, the oppo key forward would push him out, take the ball from the ruck and regularly had a shot on goal. His biggest flaw by far.

Just needs to build his core and be more aware that ruck isn't always about aerial ability.

I don't know how old he is, but there was a bloke playing for Marcoohydoore called Jacob Simpson who won the evquivalent of the AFLCA Medal for the QAFL competition and he was the best ruck in the competition by far, including Ryan and Fraser Thurlow. This kid could do it all, I'd be shocked if clubs weren't looking at him - but he might be a bit older.

Think he might be 25 or 26 now......

"100 GAMES!!!
Congratulations to Jacob Simpson, our superstar ruckman, who will play his 100th senior Maroochydore game at Surfers Paradise this weekend.
Simmo, a gentle giant who never seems to run out of legs or leap, has been with the Roos since Colts, is a dual premiership player and has represented SEQ 3 times.
Well done Jacob on a wonderful footy career so far, we are so grateful to have you! 👏🏼👏🏼💛💚"

1614548909876.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back