Player Watch #32 Samson Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

I like to give any kid a go but no, just no. He can't mark despite being 10 foot. He cannot stand his ground. He can't bend down. Not quick. Low footy IQ. We had a look but unfortunately just not good enough. Wish him well and move on.

Edit - Did I hear they have offered him a new contract? Who is making these list decisions?

he did ok as a fringe afl player tbh, brought the ball to ground and gave a chop out in the ruck.

I'm not sure of his role on the night. But I seriously only remember him getting to no more than half a dozen contests down the line which is a worry.

When he's a beanpole I don't know why for the life of me does he want to wrestle with his opponent who will just ragdoll him like a little baby?
No intensity, no heart, doesn't want it hard enough. Why did we offer him a contract this early in the season when all we've see over the last couple years is nothing but weak efforts.

I'm not sure of his role on the night. But I seriously only remember him getting to no more than half a dozen contests down the line which is a worry.
he had a pretty low time on ground, i think he was there for structure and to bring the ball to ground essentially

Sad Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It'd be rough to drop him on the back of one game, but he's making it easy to do. He's made the memory of the stench of Kozitsche all of a sudden smell like roses. Soldo gone. Naismith realistically shouldn't get extended. Colina gone EOY, Bogan Basketball dude playing c grade Amo's. Injury prone banged up Nank is gonna need a chopout. Can always take the 2x 1st rounders for Dan Rioli. Wait for the ink to dry. Offer FOLD COAST picks 71, 76 and 94 for Moyle as payback for Hardwick shafting us. They don't accept it.

Fine walk him to the preseason Draft and take him for free cos North have no use for him. Colinas probably on $150, Naismith $200, Basketball bogan $120, Samson $280? Offer Moyle $500 and use the leftover $250k on a long term speculative ruck and a rookie. Ryan has zero presence. Limited game time but 77mins is the equivalent of 2.5 quarters. Nank played 99mins in comparison. For anyone who's forgotten he played Opening round where he was subbed off for only having 1 touch. Basically in his 4th year he's played 2 games and been worst on ground by a mile both times.

He's 24 EOY as he wasn't a gangly 18yo when we drafted him he was already 20 playing against 17yo's. I now see why Brisbane didn't want him. With all our Injuries to tall players he could've covered himself in glory and played 15-20 games this year, I'd rather Pickett as back up ruck. God I hope they don't re-sign him unless something dramatically changes. Shouldn't be getting an AFL salary just for being tall.

I've never bagged Mason Cox cos his careers been pretty remarkable for a bloke who'd never even seen the game or held a sherrin before coming over. In Masons 4th year (2018) he ended our finals with a BOG obliteration making Rance look like an Auskick player. In Ryan's 4th he'd most likely get out marked by an Auskicker himself.

Last edited:
Angus Graham was better than Sampson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2nd Q...when the contest was hot he fumbled fumbled for the ball in the center, on the ground, he could not pick it up...went down like a wounded inept baby giraffe! Around the same time he stood his ground for a mark as the footy came to him alone and the footy bounced off both his palms...this kid has no proper idea of how to mark the footy!
Had high hopes...but still reckon he's a forward!

Was at the game watched him closely... He did some OK things too and at least got the ball to ground, his effort was better

I agree though that the signs don't look great but Let's judge him properly after a block of games.

His job description is to firstly kick goals and mark the ball whether up forward or long down the line on the wings. Secondly, if he can't do the first 2 things his job is to make a contest and crash packs and when he's the ruck he's supposed to crash in and follow up his ruck work with tackles and clearances.
He will never take the job off Nank if he continues the way he's going. Nank may be undersized for a modern ruckman but the big man will follow up his work and go in hard around the contest and even float down back to take an intercept mark.
I know we are depleted due to a huge injury list but at least it's good for everyone to see how bad Samson is, I need to understand if it's an attitude problem or he is just devoid of any footy IQ or fitness.
I would take Vickery over Samson with my eyes closed and buried in the ground any day of the week with what he has dished up and is borderline disrespecting the jumper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back