AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Aussie Swim Team,
2008_StevenMotlop_246_v1.jpg

Height: 181 cm
Weight: 68kg
DOB: 12/03/1991

Geelong has selected Steven Motlop, younger brother of Port Adelaide's Daniel, as its third-round pick

A medium forward with uncanny ability around goal, Motlop has clean hands and excellent evasive skills. He is a Northern Territory representative at both under-18 and under-16 NAB AFL championships. From Wanderers FC.

Jason McCartney says: Steven is the brother of Port's Daniel and Shannon Motlop, who played in a premiership at North Melbourne, and he has an amazing bag of tricks like his brothers. He's got good endurance, but around goals he has an unbelievable sixth sense and can slot them from everywhere. I've seen him kick five goals in a game where you wouldn't have thought he was a really dominant player, but he still can have these bursts and kick a bag.

Stats:
TAC Cup Team Mt K HB D M HO T G N.T. 3 8.7 2.3 11.0 6.3 1.7 0.0 1.3
In his own words

What type of player are you?

I’m a medium-sized forward, so I like playing anywhere around the goals.

Strengths?

I’d probably say my speed and my marking. I did three seconds flat last time I did the 20m sprint, so that’s probably one of my biggest attributes.

Weaknesses?
My strength would be my biggest weakness. I’m certainly not the biggest guy out there, but my fitness isn’t too bad.

Which AFL player do you most resemble?
I suppose I do resemble my brother, Daniel. We look pretty similar and I don’t mind taking a big mark and kicking a goal too. I don’t try and model myself on him, but people always say we’re exactly the same

Re: 2011 Geelong Board player review - THREE senior players remain!

Joel Selwood
Joel strutted –not arrogantly as such, but in a ‘let’s get on with it, no fuss’manner- into our club in 2007 and I have been a fan ever since. He was picked at number 7 in the draft but there was a question mark over his knee-yet he clicked straight into playing football at Geelong. It was clear almost immediately that he would be a key player for us. I read once how he sometimes goes to Corio Bay after a match at night and walks in the water to ensure his body stays strong-I thought –good –such attention to detail-such willingness to do the hard yards.
I like how he puts his body on the line in contests, how he puts his head over the ball--and so he came to be injured in the first game of 2011-not flinching in his endeavour to get that ball. I was there and I thought he was a goner for a minute. He missed a game after that but came back and played good, solid football epitomised by his game against Hawthorn in round 12. The usual instruction from the Hawthorn bench-‘take Selwood out of the game by fair means or foul’, must have been given- but his application to the task didn’t waiver, particularly in that willing last half when he got to so many contests and turned the ball our way with such deft skills.
Then he missed four games and I thought that when he returned, although he got plenty of the ball, it took him a while to regain his real form --it was a long time out and we lost 2 games in that time-for several reasons- and I am not saying we would have won them, but I am happier when he is in the team. He will always compete and keep us in the contest. His skills have been lovely-he could kick for goal better, but what else could he do better-not much?
He led from the front again this year-cool and calm and made sensible decisions, showed good vision, all the time really. He ran himself back into lively form at the business end of the season and was instrumental in the finals. I enjoyed reading the quote from Darren Glass? after the West Coast final when he said at the stoppages you’d look around and Joel and Scott Selwood would be lying on the ground after a clash of heads, going in for that ball.
What about that Grand Final when Joel and Jimmy were everywhere in the last part of that second quarter when something had to be done-so the tough got going?
A terrific year from a natural footballer, a tough and determined competitor and a resolute, consistent player who refuses to yield when it matters.

Tom Gillies ..NO 25
21 Years of age
Last recorded height 192cm weight 88kgs.
Taken pick no 33 in the 2008 National Draft.
Junior club Narre Warren.
Recruited from Dandenong U18s

Year 1
After a solid VFL first half of the 2009 season,his chance to debut came in rd 15 against Brisbane with Scarlett and Milburn missing through injury, and went on to play six of the last eight games. And win the Cats best first year player.

After playing NAB Cup, Tom suffering groin problems found it difficult to break back into the AFL side due to fitness ( lets face it who wouldn't,)and he spent the year honing his skills in the VFL playing 18 games and being named 5 times in the best players despite carrying the injury.

Tom hard work earned him another couple of games in the first 22 under new coach Chris Scott and in the game against Adelaide rd 14 we got a glimpse of what the kid has to offer, the following week he was given the Sub job.
He finished the season with 15 games in the VFL and running 7th in their B/F.

I've been some times critical of this kid and it has been good for me to do this review,it reminds me of what a magnificent and solid back half we have had the last few years and how unrealistic it would be to think a first or second year player could just walk in and take a spot with out there be Injuries or retirements.
I'm sure Hawthorn recognized this and is why they made a play for him in trade week this year.

Who knows a big preseason and good NAB cup may see him grab Milburns old spot he has a bit of pace and would add much needed depth for the inevitably rotations.

The balls in his court.
The time is now for Tom Gillies and I hope he makes it and more importantly as a Cat.

Steven Motlop (#32)
Born: March 12, 1991, Age: 20
Origin: Wanderers

Draft: 2008 National Draft selection no. 39
Height: 182cm, Weight: 75kg
Games: 5
Goals: 2
Position: Forward pocket/midfielder

2011 Statistics (Total, Average)
Games: 4 (started two as substitute)
Disposals: 35, 8.8
Kicks: 23, 5.8
Handballs: 12, 3.0
Contested possessions: 14, 3.5
Marks: 4, 1.0
Goals: 2, 0.5
Behinds: 3, 0.8
Tackles: 7, 1.8

2011 BigFooty Geelong Board MVP votes:

Review
In his third year on Geelong's senior list, "Little boy" Motlop finally got to play a full match at AFL level after a number of setbacks faced early in his career.

After missing the first game of the VFL season, he returned in Round 2 against Werribee. The Cats went down in a scrappy match, however Motlop played well, kicking a goal and featuring in Geelong's best. In the disappointing one-point loss to the AIS-AFL Academy in a curtain raiser practice match on the MCG the following week, he again stood out.

Down at Torquay against Williamstown in Round 4, again the Cats would go down, but not before putting up a fight against the Seagulls with Brown and Vardy combining for eleven goals. Motlop didn't kick a major.

I made the trek out to Sandringham for the Round 5 match for my weekly dose of footy as the seniors had the bye. The Zebras kicked seven goals to nil in the first quarter but the Cats were plucky and got the margin back to within a goal late in the last quarter before Sandy steadied and kicked a few late ones. Motlop was quiet but had some impact during the resurgence. A highlight was his specky between multiple opposition players (think Christensen in the grand final) on the half-forward flank, before playing on, getting caught, spinning out of trouble and kicking to Guthrie in the square to set up another goal.

Back at Kardinia in the curtain raiser in Round 6 against North Ballarat, Motlop again played well, breaking multiple tackles and kicking a goal, however again drifted in and out of the game. The young Cats lost easily, with Edwards kicking 10 for the visitors. Arguably Steven's best game for the season came the following week when he kicked four against the Magpies and was named in the best as Geelong lost another heartstopper.

Geelong had another bye in Round 8 and faced Bendigo Bombers at Kardinia after the week off. Motlop couldn't find any fluency and had a frustrating game, as good work was offset by lazy mistakes as he perhaps didn't always choose to the best option for the team. The following Saturday at Box Hill, Motlop had another patchy game running between half-back and half-forward, before kicking two scintillating goals in the last to get the Cats over the line by a point for their first victory of the season. He almost mirrored his match-winning heroics against Werribee in Round 10, the Cats falling just short however Motlop had a great game, featuring in the best with a couple of majors and having a big impact late in the game. The second time I got to see him for the season, this time on ABC TV, was against Northern Bullants at Kardinia Park - a day when most eyes were on Cameron Mooney. Again patchy, and again frustratingly brilliant and lazy almost simultaneously, he struggled to use the footy to the team's benefit on a day when the young Cats ran the Bullants a lot closer than most expected.

This form, and a host of Geelong omissions, saw Motlop called up to the senior side for the Round 14 game against Adelaide for the first time in 2011. It was to be only his second career match at senior level, following the five minutes he played against Hawthorn last year before dislocating his shoulder. Motlop was quiet as other youngsters filled the void left by the experienced 'outs', although he kicked his first goal at AFL level with a floater to the city end in the last. Geelong fell for the first time against Essendon the following week, with Motlop quiet apart from another goal. This led to him being named subsitute for both the Round 16 and 17 away matches against West Coast and Brisbane, where he would subbed in during the third quarter on both occasions. Unfortunately this gave him little time to find his feet, and Steven found himself back in the VFL for the remainder of the season.

In the curtain raiser to the 186-point win over Melbourne by the AFL side, the VFL side knocked off Casey by 128. Motlop was again quiet early in the match before lifting his intensity in the second half and kicking two of Geelong's 31 goals (14 were shared by Troy Selwood and Simpkin). Back at Kardinia the next Saturday against the Magpies, Motlop kicked another brace and had one of his better games and was duly named in the best. Pleasingly, he made most of his disposals count and helped the Cats to a 6-goal win.

The penultimate match of the VFL side's 2011 season was away to the Bullants. Again Motlop ran between half-back and half-forward and was lively at times, failing to convert most of his chances and ending with one goal in a close loss, thanks to Geelong's far superior accuracy. His season ended at Kardinia against Sandringham, with the Cats coming from six-goals down at three-quarter time to win by four points. Motlop played through the middle and kicked a major.

After reading through every VFL match thread and seeing Motlop play live on about six occasions in 2011, there is a very clear read on where he is at and what he needs to work on going forward. His talent is obvious but often is not rewarded due to poor decision making or laziness. Almost every match he is described as having a very patchy game, with brilliance at times but failure to convert or choose the team options letting himself down. Also he doesn't have the fitness to play four quarters of good footy, nor the strength to impose himself on the contest, and as such can play a great quarter but go missing for the other three. A huge preseason is needed for him to take the next step. His shoulders have caused him problems in the past and have hindered his physical development and limited his time on the field. No doubt small forward/half-forward positions in Geelong's senior side will become available in the next couple of years but Motlop will need to work very hard to grasp onto one of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back