Player Watch #32: Tom Sparrow – in until 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Early days Gysberts and early days Blease were good too. And looking at a picture of Tappy.
Eh on Blease. Gysberts definitely had potential, as with Tapscott, to be at least a solid role player. Same with James Strauss who was trending upwards when he broke his leg.

Eh on Blease. Gysberts definitely had potential, as with Tapscott, to be at least a solid role player. Same with James Strauss who was trending upwards when he broke his leg.

Yeah liked Strauss a lot. From memory, Blease got nominated for the Rising Star two years in a row.

I never liked Blease. One of the worst skilled footballers ever. He makes Rohan an Hunt look like complete players

That five goal game he had (against Geelong?) was one of the most disgustingly effective displays of shithousery I've seen in my life, which is saying something.

That five goal game he had (against Geelong?) was one of the most disgustingly effective displays of shithousery I've seen in my life, which is saying something.

I wanna say against the saints?
Amazing to think there was a game that he could kick the ball straight to register 5 goals.

I wanna say against the saints?
Amazing to think there was a game that he could kick the ball straight to register 5 goals.

You'd be right, it was the Saints, so Wikipedia tells me. Round 20 of 2012, when the Saints would still have been good. We were smashed and he kicked about half of our score.

Maybe I am thinking of the Geelong game, then. I just remember one of the most dreadful hacked helicopter shanks somehow sailing between the big sticks when an out on the full wouldn't have been a fitting enough punishment for the effort.

Edit: Got to love the Youtube still shot - Sylvia enjoying another 8 to 10 goal drubbing with a grin.

You'd be right, it was the Saints, so Wikipedia tells me. Round 20 of 2012, when the Saints would still have been good. We were smashed and he kicked about half of our score.

Maybe I am thinking of the Geelong game, then. I just remember one of the most dreadful hacked helicopter shanks somehow sailing between the big sticks when an out on the full wouldn't have been a fitting enough punishment for the effort.

Edit: Got to love the Youtube still shot - Sylvia enjoying another 8 to 10 goal drubbing with a grin.

The helicopter punts atleast went forward, I remember half of his kicks falling off his foot and rolling about 2 metres infront of him while he fell down doubled over an out of breath

The last goal, watching Trenners take burn away from the pack to hit a target in the 50.....such a wasted talent.

Can't even remember all of what it was, but he did some great stuff tonight. He was useful in those handball chains, seemed super hard at it and kicked a clutch goal. Keep him in.

I've always had a soft spot for him yet kinda of unsure why. Think it could be I feel he's been given the short straw by us a lot of the time, he's a quiet kid who never seems to complain, just tries his best at the role asked of him.

The goal and epic link up handball to Harmes in mid air resulting in the Slick goal were nice to see. 🤗

Good player. The good thing I've noticed is when he's playing VFL he looks too good for it. I think he comes out when Viney is fit be his firm and Jordon's means we can take our time getting Vines fit and ready.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can never have too many midfielders or lockdown defenders. Not upset about the midfield talent which will take over when Trac and co are older/retire, and we’ll obviously keep adding to it before then.

I thought he was fantastic last night.

He’s a finals type of footballer and he’s clearly being asked to play a particular role - I can see further growth in him over the next few years too.
He's just a tough little prick. Some nice moments of class last night too.

I am going to put my hand up and say I was probably wrong about him. He's showing more than I was anticipating. Credit to him!

Tom Sparrow - made for big games

Tom Sparrow - Vanders 2.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Back