Traded #32: Travis Colyer - traded to Freo for future 4th rounder

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 32. Travis Colyer

At anything more than a jog his kicks are likely to go anywhere.

Terrible kicking when running at any sort of pace. Hopefully over time it sorts itself out but I don't think I've seen anyone spray it as bad.

It seems to me that the issue is more him looking where he is kicking rather than being a poor kick. His technique looks ok. Hopefully this is the case and its just a matter of him getting used to the pace of the game.

At anything more than a jog his kicks are likely to go anywhere.

Terrible kicking when running at any sort of pace. Hopefully over time it sorts itself out but I don't think I've seen anyone spray it as bad.

Andrew Welsh, Alwyn Davey, Jobe Watson, Cale Hooker...

Get real.

Disposal not up to AFL standard...yet.

Funnily enough, I think he's a better kick on his left than his right.

Yea, disposal let him down but the action is ok.

At least he runs the right lines and shows a bit of dash and quality.

If he goes back to Bendigo to work on his skills then so be it but there's other plenty of others who ought to go back before him.

Still happy with this pick up.

On level pegging with Quinn. Should not be playing senior football.

Interesting... I didn't see him drop the ball, do a 720 degree run around himself, bounce the ball into his face then kick the ball backwards out on the full.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yea, disposal let him down but the action is ok.

At least he runs the right lines and shows a bit of dash and quality.

If he goes back to Bendigo to work on his skills then so be it but there's other plenty of others who ought to go back before him.

Still happy with this pick up.

Yep, i recall 1 moment on sunday where he ran down and kicked the ball into the forward line strait into the arms of a Collingwood player. It was like he was aiming for him. A very quick kick out of defense and a goal kicked on the rebound.
But hey, it doesn't matter he can't kick because he can run.

I don't understand why the coaching staff would pick up a player with such poor disposal. He should be dropped this week, and shouldn't play again in the seniors this season.

Yep, i recall 1 moment on sunday where he ran down and kicked the ball into the forward line strait into the arms of a Collingwood player. It was like he was aiming for him. A very quick kick out of defense and a goal kicked on the rebound.
But hey, it doesn't matter he can't kick because he can run.

I don't understand why the coaching staff would pick up a player with such poor disposal. He should be dropped this week, and shouldn't play again in the seniors this season.

That's crazy,

I recall a moment on Sunday when Watson fumbled the ball, finally gathered it in space, then stood there like a big head thinking he had all the time in the word until he got tackled and turned the ball over... Drop him. I remember a time when gumbleton kicked the ball strait to the opposition... Drop him. I remember a point in that game where the entire senior group of midfielders - Stanton, Watson, Winderlich, NLM, Dyson looked like a scared pack of schoolboys who didn't have the confidence in themselves or their team mates to execute basic no pressure handballs within 5 meters...

But hang the18 year old because he missed a couple of kicks.

everyone seems to be jumping on this kid's back after 3 games of football.
you all need to chill.

give this guy a frickin chance...

everyones gone sour after the crap effort on Sunday, but don't start criticising all the bloody kids.

pathetic

cbf so many threads this week..

There is a lot to like about the lil' Road Runner and honestly, I'm not overly worried about his kicking. His action is ok, it's his decision making that needs to be worked on. If his brain works like his running, it is going a thousand miles a minute.

We need good disposers, but we also need some speed in the midfield...badly. Let's not kid ourselves, we're in a developing state atm and he should stay. I'd be happy for an older **** who can't run or kick to be dropped.

I think I have to agree. We beat Hawthorn last year in round 7 or 8 convincingly with a relatively pacey team (compared to theirs) and with the state of our midfield we can't really afford to drop the only quick midfielder we have playing. It's all about team balance and for that he probably needs to stay.

I am a little surpised at the flack he has copped on here this week. Watched him pretty closely on Saturday (was at the game), and guys like Winderlich, Welsh etc should be more worried of their spots than Colyer. Anywho, don't know his background that well, just commenting on what I saw on the weekend.

There is a lot to like about the lil' Road Runner and honestly, I'm not overly worried about his kicking. His action is ok, it's his decision making that needs to be worked on. If his brain works like his running, it is going a thousand miles a minute.

We need good disposers, but we also need some speed in the midfield...badly. Let's not kid ourselves, we're in a developing state atm and he should stay. I'd be happy for an older **** who can't run or kick to be dropped.

I agree completely. He doesn't shank the ball, he just seems to not look where he is kicking it. He did do a couple of smart things on the weekend that suggest that given some time there won't be an issue with his decision making, one time in particular when running into ther forward 50 he changed direction and looked like he was running into trouble, but the change in direction drew an extra opposition player to him and left McVeigh on his own, he then handpassed it on and we ended up with a scoring opportunity. It was very nice work, and hopefully something we will be seeing a lot more of in future.

The fact that an 18 yr old who does have talent but is a poor kick is seen as someone who should be in the team is a concern, but i do agree with CC from the page before.
Winderlich and Welsh shoudl be dropper before Colyer.

I don't think he is a bad pick, and of course he deserves time, but he should be playing in the 2s. Then again, so should half the senior team.

Also, I wasn't really attacking Colyer so to speak. More that, we have plenty of pacy players with average skills, and need players who can kick. Considering our needs, Colyer didn't seem like the best pick. Of course I don't anything about the draftees beyond what I read from people like antt555, so I have no idea who we may have missed out on instead.

4 kicks and 10 handballs on the weekend from a running midfielder. Started out having more kicks than handballs so he's either following the game plan :eek: or has no confidence in kicking the ball. Knights grasping at straws to find a Lovett replacement when this kid is clearly not ready.

4 kicks and 10 handballs on the weekend from a running midfielder. Started out having more kicks than handballs so he's either following the game plan :eek: or has no confidence in kicking the ball. Knights grasping at straws to find a Lovett replacement when this kid is clearly not ready.

I hope you have the same criticism's of the guys that have no excuse for being terrible: Dyson, Slattery, Winderlich, NLM, Welsh etc.

I guess it's a case of choosing between a guy who is not ready or a guy who is not up to it. I'd go with the guy who's a little raw before the guy who's been given a hundred chances only to proove they are an ordinary.

His biggest problem currently is his complete inability to tackle which is hardly suprising for an 18 year old pip squeek.

His kicking action is fine. Just needs to have more composure when he kicks. As a midfielder he is not ready and should be playing for Bendigo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back