Traded #32: Travis Colyer - traded to Freo for future 4th rounder

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 32. Travis Colyer

I love this kid, because he doesn't fly for marks he's never going to take.

But in saying that, when he has to go... he took a couple of impressive overhead marks (actually might have been one mark and one free in a marking contest) for his size in the middle on Sunday when poor disposals appeared to be going over his head to an opponent in a dangerous position to counter-attack.

Yeah that's a great point. I was very impressed with that as well on Sunday.

Not flying for pack marks as a little bloke when you've got a team mate there is under 10s stuff, but he seems to be the only one to get front and centre as the first option.

Yeah that's a great point. I was very impressed with that as well on Sunday.

Not flying for pack marks as a little bloke when you've got a team mate there is under 10s stuff, but he seems to be the only one to get front and centre as the first option.

+ Jetta.

Noticed Leroy at Hille/Ryder's feet a number of times too.... which is great as it's something we haven't really had for a while given our other small forwards aren't really crumbers (not even Davey IMO), and these two appear to be naturals at it.

Our solo shining light last night.

Hopefully dispelled some of the thought that he's unable to kick. Looked as good as anyone in the teams last night.

Probably a good one for Winderlich to take notice of. His comments a couple of weeks back relating to the senior blokes 'continuing to play well' and the younger blokes 'needing to stand up' were far more devisive, if not untrue, than anything the supporters have been saying.

Also pretty hypocritical from one of the most inconsistent let down's I can remember at the club.

It is a bit of an indictment on the more senior blokes that he was our best player, but nevertheless I thought he was fantastic. I think we have a good one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is unfair but his size is going to be a cause of concern until he turns it on.

Reading his drafting profile it seems as though Trav was predominately a forward.

Can anyone tell us what Trav is like as a crumber?

Could he be the player we could use as a crumber and to apply forward pressure?

With Davey seemingly out of favour we need someone with pace and goal sense to add to the forward line.

It is unfair but his size is going to be a cause of concern until he turns it on.

Reading his drafting profile it seems as though Trav was predominately a forward.

Can anyone tell us what Trav is like as a crumber?

Could he be the player we could use as a crumber and to apply forward pressure?

With Davey seemingly out of favour we need someone with pace and goal sense to add to the forward line.

Good crumber but a but very wayward goal kicker.
I have not been impressed with him this year when he has stepped up to the senior side. We have needed outside run and pressure but he has rarely had the ball and used his pace. In fact he bloody walks around a hell of a lot.

I liked him as a junior because he would win the footy on the wing and take off at full pace leaving the opposition in his wake.
If he can not provide us what Nahas does for the Tigers then he is history.

Good crumber but a but very wayward goal kicker.
I have not been impressed with him this year when he has stepped up to the senior side. We have needed outside run and pressure but he has rarely had the ball and used his pace. In fact he bloody walks around a hell of a lot.

I liked him as a junior because he would win the footy on the wing and take off at full pace leaving the opposition in his wake.
If he can not provide us what Nahas does for the Tigers then he is history.
How long do you think he gets? Surely another year at least.

Are people forgetting just how good this guy was last year? Clearly out-shone Melksham for mine, and proved that he was a very good player already, and if he improved his kicking he could be a star.

Well this year, we hardly play him. Completely going off memory here and having a stab, but I think he's played 3 games (maybe 4) and at least 2 he's been the sub. It's shown that the sub is a very difficult position to play and tricky to get into the game, and before you know it, it's all over.

His best chance was against Freo on the big subi ground, and he did struggle a bit until late in the game where he showed a little glimpse of last years form.

The poor bloke is expected to sprint from contest to contest to contest providing forward pressure, then, if they get through, chase up to the wing and beyond. If we then get on the break he is expected to take off and carry the ball. Every week we are picking only him and Jetta to do all the really hard running (and Stanton, but a little different in Stanton's case with not so much forward pressure) and imo you need at least 4 guys in a side to do that. We can't expect these 2 to sprint all day at countless contests. It is why I believe Reimers must be in the side, and possibly Davey too. If Davey isn't playing well enough to be picked, then maybe go with 3 for the rest of the year but we must recruit in this area if that's the case.

He has the talent this boy, play a few speedy guys with him so he doesn't have to get to every single bloody contest and tire himself out by midway through the 3rd, and we might see last years form from him.

(Note - also gives me incredible respect for the job that Jetta's done this year so far).

Have not forgotten what he did last year but last year was last year. He will have time to work on it, more than likely another 2 years but you can not hide from the fact that he has been just plain average this year and i am not just talking about his 3 senior games. He has had some average VFL games as well.

He is not running at anywhere near the level he was last year.

Have not forgotten what he did last year but last year was last year. He will have time to work on it, more than likely another 2 years but you can not hide from the fact that he has been just plain average this year and i am not just talking about his 3 senior games. He has had some average VFL games as well.

He is not running at anywhere near the level he was last year.

He doesn't use his pace often enough, Dempsey was the same a couple of years ago but I think that had more to do with the faith I'n his own body. Trav needs to bolt whenever he can, it's amazing what speed can do to opponents defensive structures.

A bit harsh on a 20 year old midget in his second year. Showed plenty last year in a side which was all one way, obviously needs to refine parts of his game but for god sake give him a chance.

What we do know is that unless players like him, Melksham, Heppel, Zaka, ect can become B - A graders we are more than likely 8 years away from a flag as our experienced players are ordinary by AFL standard.

If it became clear to staff that the youngsters aren't going to get to that level then a couple of things would need to happen. Dedoro and Kean would need to be replaced before this years draft. They would go down as the worst mistake the clubs made over the past 15 years and a complete rebuild would be required... Again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back