Traded #32: Travis Colyer - traded to Freo for future 4th rounder

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if srs, but I think you are so.

Of course it does, if his body is fatiguing quicker than it normally would because he is not used to the load of AFL football so much is effected and guess what is the first thing that goes when a player is fatigued, disposal.

Players like Colyer will continue to run and exert themselves, but when it comes to actually winning/disposing of the football they have exerted all their energy getting the ball. Then when it comes to disposing the footy they don't have the energy to focus on the disposal. Then take into account Colyer was never a great disposal when he was fully fit, you can begin to see why.
I reckon he learned to slow up and assess the situation before kicking when he was at the peak of his powers. If we don't trade him he should get consistent games in the 2s until he can force his way back in. Devdon's got him covered now.

He just needs bigger hands...

images

It is great sign of improvement for the club if he is now not holding a spot in the best 22.

Also it is a good challenge for Trav to improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure Travis can improve a lot. It will be nice if he has another level he can get himself too but he may spend more time in the VFL next season. I think the likes of Mutch, Langford, Redman will all potentially push Trav out of the 22 by mid next season. Like you say , good squad depth player.

Post draft and trading this guy still offers the one thing our team needs and that is midfield leg speed.

We all hope to see McGrath, Stringer, McKenna, Walla and Raz up in the midfield but imho. Colyer has the experience to be a key role player in the seniors. As places up for grabs is very much borderline, he will very much be on the fringes. Nice problem to have

Post draft and trading this guy still offers the one thing our team needs and that is midfield leg speed.

We all hope to see McGrath, Stringer, McKenna, Walla and Raz up in the midfield but imho. Colyer has the experience to be a key role player in the seniors. As places up for grabs is very much borderline, he will very much be on the fringes. Nice problem to have
Smith and McGrath will be playing midfield.

Didn't have a great year, but surprised how many have written him off.

More than happy for him to stay on the list another year.

He was also one of the only blokes that rocked up to the final in Sydney.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't have a great year, but surprised how many have written him off.

More than happy for him to stay on the list another year.

He was also one of the only blokes that rocked up to the final in Sydney.

With Trav I don't think all is lost, he just needs to learn to slow down before kicking the ball similar to how Walla does it, too often with Trav he runs hard to break free of the contest and in doing so creates space yet instead of easing up a little before kicking the ball, he tried to kick it when he is either still running at full or close to full speed which leads to him being off balance when he kicks it.

With Trav I don't think all is lost, he just needs to learn to slow down before kicking the ball similar to how Walla does it, too often with Trav he runs hard to break free of the contest and in doing so creates space yet instead of easing up a little before kicking the ball, he tried to kick it when he is either still running at full or close to full speed which leads to him being off balance when he kicks it.

Did he run with the ball this year?

Did he run with the ball this year?

From what I saw this year, Trav tended to gather the ball then run hard for about five to ten meters then kick it, there were times when he could have run further or had ample space to settle before kicking, there were times when it looked like he was hearing footsteps despite being clear.

Admittedly I only went to our home games this year and things look different live verses on T.V when he often didn't seem to carry the ball at all.

He will be in and out of the team depending on Smith and Fantasia in my opinion. Those two will be the pacy forward flankers who push up the ground and into the midfield like Colyer.

un_eggs

Sesamoid pain... foot bones. No time frame on the moon boot..

Travis Colyer has been placed in a moon boot due to pain in his foot but is expected to return to regular training in the coming weeks.

“Travis has sesamoid pain, sesamoids are a couple of little bones in your foot that can become painful. In order to settle that down, we have Trav in a boot, he has been in that for here weeks and he will come out of that when it has settled and then he will build back in again,” Crow said.

“He is progressing really nicely and getting a good training base.”
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2018-01-19/injury-update-19-january

I feel he had to have everything go his way for him to be best 22 for round 1. Does he now miss out completly on the JLT? Setback not far from JLT1

Then id assume we will only want very best 22 for JLT2

Extend his preseason and get him ready for our game after ANZAC day vs Melbourne. Our toughest stretch until the break.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back