Traded #32: Travis Colyer - traded to Freo for future 4th rounder

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: #32: Travis Colyer - "Burning up the track"

I know what you're saying. I'm a slow ruckman so I must say I don't have a hell of a lot of experience running into an open forwardline with the ball but I do know that it's a bloody hard kick to get right when you're not a brilliant kick. Kicking to the fatside on the other hand isn't any more difficult but it gives you a bit more margin for error because the marking target in space can move to where the ball is.

I'm not saying he should kick there every time, but from a glance, if he can see space and a red and black jumper in the opposite pocket, he should be looking to pop it up for them. The most dangerous forwardlines I've seen, at AFL level and at local level are the ones which look for the fatside option.

Fair enough, can't really disagree with much of that providing its a tall deep on the fat side.

Fair enough, can't really disagree with much of that providing its a tall deep on the fat side.

Yep, ideally it's Crameri, Hurley or Hille in that space.

I'd normally agree with this, but until Colyer sorts his goal-kicking out, i'd rather someone else took the shot, even if it means stuffing it up.

With the kick in rules now, a wasted shot from 35-40 metres can be rebounded the length of the ground in a flash. If you are a poor shot, you are better off looking for an option and at the least bottling it up in the forward line.
That doesn't make sense.
You should go to a smaller target closer to the opposition's goal?

Literally the worst that can happen with a shot is OOB. Which takes a good 5s to get the ball back, set the free kick, and off they go.
If it's a point, again it takes 5s to get the ball back, and off they go. That 5s gives you time to set the zone up.

If you kick it straight to their defenders, they just piss-bolt and there's nothing anyone can do.

Bad kicking is bad kicking, but I'd prefer anyone who's deemed good enough to be selected to have the confidence to take a (reasonable) shot. There's less ways it can go wrong.

That doesn't make sense.

Literally the worst that can happen with a shot is OOB. Which takes a good 5s to get the ball back, set the free kick, and off they go.
If it's a point, again it takes 5s to get the ball back, and off they go. That 5s gives you time to set the zone up.

If you kick it straight to their defenders, they just piss-bolt and there's nothing anyone can do.

Bad kicking is bad kicking, but I'd prefer anyone who's deemed good enough to be selected to have the confidence to take a (reasonable) shot. There's less ways it can go wrong.

I'd rather they look at what's most likely to lead to a goal rather than what's least likely to end in a mistake.

Re: #32: Travis Colyer - Kicking still an issue?

We're probably all overthinking it.
If the goals 'feels' like the right thing, go for it.
If Ryder, Hurley or Crameri feel like the right option, go for them instead.

That doesn't make sense.

And again i'll say for almost all other players you'd be right, I just reckon Colyer's goal kicking has been nothing short of woeful.

For anyone else, sure take the shot. I just reckon Colyer needs to iron something out first.

Just to clarify, i'm talking about reasonably tough shots 40-50 metres out, the shots Hurley and Zaha make 70% of the time.

We're probably all overthinking it.
If the goals 'feels' like the right thing, go for it.
If Ryder, Hurley or Crameri feel like the right option, go for them instead.

That's what I'm suggesting should happen, with him erring on the side of a pass but from what I've seen of him, Colyer gets tunnel vision for the goals a bit. He's not a good enough kick to overlook that.

I'd normally agree with this, but until Colyer sorts his goal-kicking out, i'd rather someone else took the shot, even if it means stuffing it up.

With the kick in rules now, a wasted shot from 35-40 metres can be rebounded the length of the ground in a flash. If you are a poor shot, you are better off looking for an option and at the least bottling it up in the forward line.

So a missed target into the forward 50 can't be rebounded out? Makes no sense. Based on that nonsense this guy may as well give the game up...

And again i'll say for almost all other players you'd be right, I just reckon Colyer's goal kicking has been nothing short of woeful.

For anyone else, sure take the shot. I just reckon Colyer needs to iron something out first.

Just to clarify, i'm talking about reasonably tough shots 40-50 metres out, the shots Hurley and Zaha make 70% of the time.

By that philosophy Zaka should look to pass the ball when he's lining up from 35 - 40m's given his shocking set shot converstion

So a missed target into the forward 50 can't be rebounded out? Makes no sense. Based on that nonsense this guy may as well give the game up...

Of course it can be rebounded. But you have a chance of maintaining possession, or tying it up.

A point of OOB is automatic un pressured possession to the opposition.

I liken this to the mastercheff principle. When you try to put too many elements on the plate, chances are you're going to stuff one of them up which will wreck the dish.

If a player is within range and has a clear shot on goal, take the shot. Unless someone is standing 30m's clear in the goal square. Even if Hurley has position on his bloke, 3 things still need to happen:

1, He has to execute the delivery to him (which based on sentiment in here, there's very limited scope for him to do.

2, Hurley would need to secure the ball (a 98% lock)

3, Hurley would then need to go back and convert...

By that philosophy Zaka should look to pass the ball when he's lining up from 35 - 40m's given his shocking set shot converstion

I'm not sure what is so inflamatory about suggesting that a guy who is a terrible shot at goal look for options when possible, rather than spraying away. Besides, it is what I would like to see him do, you can wish him to take the shot every time. Just opinions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's what I'm suggesting should happen, with him erring on the side of a pass but from what I've seen of him, Colyer gets tunnel vision for the goals a bit. He's not a good enough kick to overlook that.

This.

He just seems to ping away too much, and doesn't quite show the nous required to be doing that ATM.

I liken this to the mastercheff principle. When you try to put too many elements on the plate, chances are you're going to stuff one of them up which will wreck the dish.

If a player is within range and has a clear shot on goal, take the shot. Unless someone is standing 30m's clear in the goal square. Even if Hurley has position on his bloke, 3 things still need to happen:

1, He has to execute the delivery to him (which based on sentiment in here, there's very limited scope for him to do.

2, Hurley would need to secure the ball (a 98% lock)

3, Hurley would then need to go back and convert...

It's more like.

1. Look for options before taking a shot that you are a low chance of achieving.

I'm not sure what is so inflamatory about suggesting that a guy who is a terrible shot at goal look for options when possible, rather than spraying away. Besides, it is what I would like to see him do, you can wish him to take the shot every time. Just opinions

Because you still have the same problem, you need to execute the pass but then have the added issue of the player on the other end marking and converting.

Zaharakis is an ordinary set shot for goal. Having said that, i don't want him passing the ball every time he's got the ball 40m out.

Because you still have the same problem, you need to execute the pass but then have the added issue of the player on the other end marking and converting.

Zaharakis is an ordinary set shot for goal. Having said that, i don't want him passing the ball every time he's got the ball 40m out.
What Zaharakis is a great shot at goal IIRC

Passing from a set shot is very different to passing on the run.

EDIT: should clarify, I mean in a game scenario sense. For a set shot, you have 100% control of the ball and time. This doesn't happen on the run.

Think the issue is that Colyer needs to tidy up his kicking - Would rather have a guy take a ping from 40 on a decent angle.

That's profound.

It is always profound if you quote one sentence in two !:confused:

And so is Jetta having no-one to kick the ball to.

Broken Thumb. Out for 6 weeks as reported by Mark McVeigh on the Hanger (Ripper show by the way!)

Mentioned that as bad as it is, he will still be able to keep his fitness up obviously.

That really sucks, was hoping for a big start to the year for Colyer. He will be back earlier than 6 weeks though, put a protective glove on him.

Maybe an opportunity for Dell'ollio?

Broken Thumb. Out for 6 weeks as reported by Mark McVeigh on the Hanger (Ripper show by the way!)

Mentioned that as bad as it is, he will still be able to keep his fitness up obviously.

One of the best performers in pre-season as well, according to Mcveigh. Tough luck but an opportunity for someone else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back