Traded #32: Travis Colyer - traded to Freo for future 4th rounder

Remove this Banner Ad

Colyer needs to have a good hard look at himself as a player. Struggles to get above 10 touches a game playing as an outside midfielder many of which he burns. Barely lays a tackle which is just pathetic for a player with his pace. In fact I can't recall a single run down tackle from him this year. I have to assume he's in the team to break lines but the truth is between his fumbling, his ineffective kicking and his inability to find the ball he's not doing any of the above.

The only time I notice him is when play gets slowed down and he does a little lead and marks the ball about 20m from the carrier somewhere on the wing. Then proceeds to kick it down the line.

I will concede I reckon his injury slowed him down this year and he never reached full fitness etc. At least last year he used to be good at getting out the back and being a chance to kick a goal occasionally. That said even at his best he's not very good and we are wasting an opportunity to develop someone that actually has footy smarts in his role.

I would accept a trade offer. 4th rounder lets go.

it's actually worse when trav gets the ball. i pray that he doesn't get double figure possessions.
7 touches, three goals and 8 tackles would be the ideal trav colyer game for mine.

imagine us building a team of immaculate ball users!
keeping the ball. picking apart zones and clusters.
not gifting the opposition so many goals.
how can we win a flag otherwise?

this requirement is why clarke unfortunately has no future and guelfi needs to improve.
and the elephant in the room - mr dyson heppell. love his workrate and ball winning, but his clanger count is killing us lately.

Was probably my favourite player about 3 or 4 years ago, but he has fallen such a long way down.

He's one guy we can't just keep gifting games to.

I can't see what he's bringing to the team that Mutch wouldn't.

I think we should forget about using him through the midfield and challenge him to earn a spot as a deep small forward.

I think we should forget about using him through the midfield and challenge him to earn a spot as a deep small forward.

Funnily enough he doesn't seem to shank the footy as much when he's kicking for goal. Though I'm sure if he was down there full time I'd get proven wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've always thought he could go up another cog but it hasn't happened. Disappointed this year with some of the bonehead plays. I can tolerate some fumbles here and there but just schoolboy mistakes and running around like a headless chook is losing me.

Our list is such that he stays on and we give him another preseason to get to a level where he can be effective. If I was a betting man I wouldn't put any cash on it but stranger things have happened.

I can't fault his enthusiasm and energy but I don't think he's AFL standard in any facet of the game other than his pace. The knocks on his disposal and inconsistency have been a talking point for the last 6-7 years even when he's had those patches of form along the way.
Interested to see whether he's put up for trade or given a chance to get through a full preseason.

I can't fault his enthusiasm and energy but I don't think he's AFL standard in any facet of the game other than his pace. The knocks on his disposal and inconsistency have been a talking point for the last 6-7 years even when he's had those patches of form along the way.
Interested to see whether he's put up for trade or given a chance to get through a full preseason.

Let's not confuse this with simply running up & down.

Next preseason I'd be telling him to follow Smith around for a while. Most tackles he's had in a single game throughout 2017 and 2018 is 6.
Smith has only had 3 games in the entire season with less tackles than that.

A player like Colyer who is fast, plays on the wing and doesn't get much of the ball at least needs to be doing more defensively at a bare minimum.

He is contracted for one more year? If so, then 2019 is his year to prove something. Hopefully he can have a full preseason, show he can play at his best, and if he can’t play to the levels required, delist and he can go home to Perth.

He is contracted for one more year? If so, then 2019 is his year to prove something. Hopefully he can have a full preseason, show he can play at his best, and if he can’t play to the levels required, delist and he can go home to Perth.

He might like living in Melbourne?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Needs to watch videos, or actually watch Saad and Mckenna kick while running at full pace pace over summer. Would probably help him a lot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back