AFLW Player #33: Amber Clarke - Round 6 Rising Star Nominee!

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Amber Clarke from the Dandenong Stingrays*, was, on Wednesday night, given the honour of being Essendon's first ever AFLW draftee.

The significance of this is huge though, Clarke would say that she's just one of the girls out there.

*Yes, Dandenong Stingrays.

Not Dingrays.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK - so as Amber is my girl - just some updates on where she's been and updates on the 5 rounds so far.:

From the Dandy Stingrays, she gained oportunities year on year starting with 3 games in 2020 - up to 10 in 2022. Relying on her kick over handball she operates at a ratio of around 6:1.

Ambers draft analysis was:
Few players came into the 2022 NAB League Girls season with higher wraps, yet Dandenong Stingrays’ Amber Clarke took it all in her stride and was able to come out as one of the best players across the league, and the country. The 17-year-old started off with a massive five-goal haul against Geelong Falcons in Round 1, and though she only really had one more major bag, she was still able to influence games on the regular.

Clarke is a player who has the goal sense and X-factor to impact a game in a big way, and though in Round 1 she was kicking goals from everywhere, became a little less reliable in front of the big sticks as the season progressed. Her trademark snap around the body often misfired when she could have composed herself for an extra step, but that learning will continue to come, especially at the elite level. She could also continue to develop further through the midfield, having an outstanding game there for the Stingrays in the NAB League Girls Grand Final, but is still able to impact further with more time.

Amber Clarke clocked the two fastest speeds at the previous two NAB League Girls Preseason Combines, both sub-3.2 seconds.

1664262442563.png

Amber's AFLW career has started with her making a great impact, being influential with the ball in hand and agressive around the packs when she doesn't.
The first 5 rounds have shown what Amber is capable of, straight out of the blocks. With great maturity and courage, she's not afraid to get dirty at the coal face with clean hands and head over the ball.

1664263396141.png
1664263604053.png vs Hawkes
1664263433802.png vs Blues
1664263501814.png vs Eagles
1664263707340.png vs Tigers
1664263817999.png vs Pies

'Back bigger and stronger': Top Bomber flying ahead of new season​

AMBER Clarke's debut season was filled with firsts, but Essendon's first ever draft pick is well prepped for what's to come.

The Narre Warren local juggled cross-town travel to training at Tullamarine, her final semester of year 12 and a fresh playing position on the wing, in what was both her and the Bombers' first AFLW season.

She'd been flying earlier in 2022, taking out the then-NAB League best and fairest and captaining Dandenong Stingrays to a Grand Final loss where she was named best on ground, but it was as an inside midfielder.

"It was definitely a shock. I knew it was going to be tougher going into it, but I don't think I was quite as ready as I thought I was. It wasn't my best season, but I'm coming back bigger and stronger so this season will be better," Clarke said.

"It was just adjusting to it. Obviously I was doing year 12, like a lot of other girls were, trying to balance it was tough."

Clarke had a sterling athletics background before an untimely foot injury, and she still holds a national under-14s hurdles record. That pace saw the Bombers opt to play the 18-year-old on the outside.

"I was playing wing, which I had before, but it was many years ago. So it was understanding Essendon's midfield craft, how they do things there and then applying that to a new position and getting (myself) into the right positions," Clarke said.

"When I felt like I wasn't doing much in the game, I was told that I was and getting in the right position. I might not get the footy, but I was in the right position and holding my opponent out. That made me think it wasn't all about disposals, that it's more about off the ball and my running patterns. Once I got the hang of that, I think I was more comfortable.

"I had Cat Phillips on the other wing with me most of the time, and she's played for quite a few years, so it was good to learn off her. She helped me a lot, so working with her, a few of the others, and 'Woody' (coach Natalie Wood), it was easy to transition into the position. I picked it up pretty quickly, it was more just trying to apply it to the game."

EPISODE GUIDE

1.05 – Clarke's national hurdles background
5.35 – Essendon's first AFLW draftee
9.05 – Transitioning from junior footy to AFLW
11.04 – The year 12 juggle
14.30 – Lessons from season one
18.25 – Areas of improvement for Essendon in 2023
21.04 – Shift managing at McDonald's, study and footy
25.13 – Leadership with Clarke

Making history as Essendon's first AFLW draftee.
Averaging 13 disposals and 10 marks this season. Has kicked 2 goals in 2 games already.

She’s got pace and agility, as a jnr had great ability. She’s Amber Clarke and THAT’S MY GIRL!!!

Thanks Lore

Incredible game by my girl Amber against Geelong

🟠 16 disposals
🟠 3 marks
🟠 3 tackles
🟠 2.2 score

Nice bounce back from a knee injury!

Well done AC. 👏🏻🌟🌟🌟

Remove this Banner Ad

Back