Delisted #33: Brayden "Donny" Ham - not offered another contract - 18/10

Remove this Banner Ad

The kid has literally just turned 22. I look at a player like Isaac Smith and how late he came on. Im not saying Brayden will get to his level but I think he is definitly worth persisting with. He may not get to your perceived ideal size but Im sure tackling is a skill that can be practised and improved on.
Isaac Smith is nearly 3 inches taller and is explosive off the mark.

I like Ham’s skill but he’s a list clogger.

Just one of those kids you keep around for depth when building a premiership side. When we find someone better, they'll replace Ham, but at the moment unfortunately, we have nobody better. There is a very very very slim chance we win a flag with him in our best 22. He's too short, and lean to take marks down the line, or lay a proper tackle. He doesn't get enough of the ball to be effective, and when he does get it, more often than not he will butcher it. His only redeeming quality is his endurance, which should be elite anyways seeing as he is a wingman. People bang on about how he runs all day, as if he's got a special talent, but its just the bare minimum for any AFL standard wingman. We just haven't had any AFL standard wingmen since Stanton. He just isn't a premiership calibre player

He looks like a boy out there. Wouldn't hurt to model himself on Kade Simpson's courage for a slender bloke.

Last edited:

Ham’s kicking is so over stated on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doesn't mean it's inaccurate. Mutch was a poor kick.

He reminds me of one of those fairly common left footed wingman that every second club seemed to have in the 90s and early 00s. Good runner, long and fairly accurate kick, but easily worked off the ball (I don't want to say soft because I think that's unfair on Ham, he's just not physically strong enough). Thinking of the likes of Tivendale and Lonie. Our good teams from that era used to absolutely monster these type of players in big games.

For a guy his size he tends to double grab a lot and fumble. Needs to tidy that area up a fair bit if he's to have a significant AFL career.

Need to persist and get him another year and another pre season and see if it comes together.

Two kelvin posts in one day that I agree with. What is happening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great goal on the opposite, should have tried to do it again a minute later rather than straightening up.

Doesn’t seem to push up defensive wing much, would probably lift his stats more if he did. Seems to look for hit ups in that 70-centre wing position. Pretty hard to do when we are slow chipping. Would like to see him pushing up higher.

Fair hoof on the right foot. Needs to go back to the reserves for a while to improve tackling, general physicality and kicking to our guys advantage.

Fairly neutral on Brayden at this point in time. He does find the ball a bit and runs like a greyhound but he looks really rigid as in tense, not relaxed which seems to cause him to fumble a bit and makes quite a few pressure errors. Fingers crossed he finds his groove.

I'm not real fond of puns, especially footy media attempts but I did LOL at Kelli Underwoods fairly dry "Oh no, Hams sliced it". 😅

Last edited:
Had a good couple efforts throughout the game including that late goal. But that moment at 9:30~ in the 4th completely encapsulates my issues with Donny. A great player would've absolutely lined Brayshaw up and sent a message. A good player at the very least would stick a tackle. Ham just....did nothing

A tackle there stops that play at the source and prevents that whole Freo clearance sequence from happening.

Last edited:
Really don’t like him as the sub, for me he’s either in the 22 or racking up really valuable VFL minutes where he can play as more of a featured player on ball and develop a bit more of his physical stuff, especially given it’s really cold and wet at the moment and the VFL games look like a bit of a slog at times.

Feels like a waste

Last edited:
Really don’t like him as the sub, for me he’s either in the 22 or racking up really valuable VFL minutes where he can play as more of a featured player on ball and develop a bit more of his physical stuff, especially given it’s really cold and wet at the moment and the VFL games look like a bit of a slog at times
Or put the cue in the rack and build his body up. I don’t think there’s any problem with his positioning. I’ve seen him use his body well in terms of angles to shepherd/block an opponent, particularly reading the ball in the air. All he needs is size. If he doesn’t put on size then his role will be limited to purely outside and players like that generally don’t play in premierships in this era, they need to be good at the contest also.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back