Delisted #33: Brayden "Donny" Ham - not offered another contract - 18/10

Remove this Banner Ad

As others have said he got stronger last off season and will likely do that again.

The issue is that his version of a big frame is the frame a lot start with. So by year 4 they are weapons and by year 4 Ham is at the starting line.

As I have said before it’s legs and core he needs. And maybe most of all he will need to adjust his mindset. He would always have been the skinny kid who could outrun the other kids to
keep finding the footy. Needs to want the contact.

Lachie Whitfield isn't a big unit, but he has weapons that make-up for not being a contested beast.

At times in his first year Ham's kicking looked like it would be a weapon, but we didn't really see that in 2021.

He doesn't need to be Whitfield good, but he should be a similar player; predominantly outside using his tank and kicking skills to off-set his lack of contested work. If he doesn't have / use the kicking skills and tank, he's not really offering enough.

Lachie Whitfield isn't a big unit, but he has weapons that make-up for not being a contested beast.

At times in his first year Ham's kicking looked like it would be a weapon, but we didn't really see that in 2021.

He doesn't need to be Whitfield good, but he should be a similar player; predominantly outside using his tank and kicking skills to off-set his lack of contested work. If he doesn't have / use the kicking skills and tank, he's not really offering enough.
Fundamentally agree.. I can see why they are persevering with him. Covers the ground. Can mark the footy for someone his size, and has the capability to be at least a good kick.

But even if you’re an outside player you find yourself in contested ball situations. I’m not suggesting he change to become a contested / inside player. But he needs to tackle and win hard footy when it’s his turn. Whitfield can do that.

I think even Whitfield would not thrive in the small forward role that Ham played in the 2021 season where physicality is a key component. Would like to see Ham given more time on the wing to see if he has it what it takes to be productive outside player instead of playing the Smith/Snelling role which he isn’t overly suited to.

May not be at Essendon seeing as we seem to value size on the wing with Cox, Langford, Durham, Cutler and Heppell having spent plenty of time there over the past 2 years.

I think even Whitfield would not thrive in the small forward role that Ham played in the 2021 season where physicality is a key component. Would like to see Ham given more time on the wing to see if he has it what it takes to be productive outside player instead of playing the Smith/Snelling role which he isn’t overly suited to.

May not be at Essendon seeing as we seem to value size on the wing with Cox, Langford, Durham, Cutler and Heppell having spent plenty of time there over the past 2 years.

Cutler seems better off the HBF than a Wing, he gets a bit lost in play whereas off the HBF he can use his run and kicking effectively without having to think through the play as much.

I like Langford as a high half-forward personally, rather than true wing.

Arguably Cox, Durham and Ham are the 'true' wingman we've be choosing between. I think the Richmond style half-forward role suits guys like Snelling better who can win a contested ball and tackle hard, whilst Ham's skillset 'should' make him a good candidate on a wing.

Cox & Durham have both probably showed more potential in that role however.

Cutler seems better off the HBF than a Wing, he gets a bit lost in play whereas off the HBF he can use his run and kicking effectively without having to think through the play as much.

I like Langford as a high half-forward personally, rather than true wing.

Arguably Cox, Durham and Ham are the 'true' wingman we've be choosing between. I think the Richmond style half-forward role suits guys like Snelling better who can win a contested ball and tackle hard, whilst Ham's skillset 'should' make him a good candidate on a wing.

Cox & Durham have both probably showed more potential in that role however.

I was just naming Langford and Cutlet as guys who’ve spent plenty of time on the wing. Agree they are better suited to other positions.

I think he's been a pretty good late pick by Dodoro

He has some skillets but he also seems to train or work quite hard. Has always come back in good shape and shown he's been in the gym and also runs pretty close to the top in the time trials aswell from memory

Still has a good left leg.

Be interesting if we just play him on the wing in the VFL, they did start using him half forward a bit more as he showed he could hit the scoreboard

I still think a small defender role could work. He seems a player that's a pleasure to coach does everything that's asked of him, works hard and gets the best out of himself

I think he's been a pretty good late pick by Dodoro

He has some skillets but he also seems to train or work quite hard. Has always come back in good shape and shown he's been in the gym and also runs pretty close to the top in the time trials aswell from memory

Still has a good left leg.

Be interesting if we just play him on the wing in the VFL, they did start using him half forward a bit more as he showed he could hit the scoreboard

I still think a small defender role could work. He seems a player that's a pleasure to coach does everything that's asked of him, works hard and gets the best out of himself
I don't see how being a defender helps him. He's a gut runner with a decent (but not elite) kick who can't tackle. He'd also be the last person in the club (AFL?) you'd expect to run back into a hole in a marking contest.

I don't see how being a defender helps him. He's a gut runner with a decent (but not elite) kick who can't tackle. He'd also be the last person in the club (AFL?) you'd expect to run back into a hole in a marking contest.
Great kick can cut through zones and also has run and penetration which is what you look for off half back. Has some experience there from u18 days

Think his size he's building wouldn't have an issue tackling

Also disciplined does or try's what the coach is telling him is the sense I get

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or you know he could improve…

He could well but IMO he is behind a few. In fact more than a few.
He has some footy smarts and can run all day but from my view he is too light , just an average kick and every time the game gets physical he can not get into the game. Langford and Cox will play in front of him on a wing and with a full midfield available he will get pushed out of the half forward spot.
Personally I have seen enough. If I am wrong I will wear it.

He could well but IMO he is behind a few. In fact more than a few.
He has some footy smarts and can run all day but from my view he is too light , just an average kick and every time the game gets physical he can not get into the game. Langford and Cox will play in front of him on a wing and with a full midfield available he will get pushed out of the half forward spot.
Personally I have seen enough. If I am wrong I will wear it.

Kicking is the swing skill. He gets great penetration and has the speed to break lines.

He's not far off best 22 I like what he offers. I'd love to see what he offers as a small defender especially with his increased rugged size. Looks like Nick Smith shape now but with a leg.

We know what he can do fwd and wing. Improvement required but he could certainly challenge N.Cox on a wing acc to a few here and also Dev Smith/Perkins as that half forward role if we play just 2 tall forwards in Wright and H.Jones.

I'd still pick N.Cox every week though regardless

Kicking is the swing skill. He gets great penetration and has the speed to break lines.
Who does he keep out of the side ?
Not Cox not Langford not any of the midfield group who rotate through a wing or half forward spot when we are at full strength. Not Snelling as it is a different role. Having Kelly could push Redman up the ground. Hobbs will also be pressing for a half forward/ midfield role .

Who does he keep out of the side ?
Not Cox not Langford not any of the midfield group who rotate through a wing or half forward spot when we are at full strength. Not Snelling as it is a different role. Having Kelly could push Redman up the ground. Hobbs will also be pressing for a half forward/ midfield role .

I never said he’s a certainty to be in our best side? I’m just not putting a line through him yet and think he has enough AFL traits to potentially get games next year.

I agree it’ll definitely be harder as a fit Shiel and Caldwell plus improvement from Durham creates a significant logjam of flanker/wingman positions in the side.

That being said Tippa and Smith are our only small forwards and there is very little depth behind Hind as far as running small defenders goes.

He’s quick, runs all day, has penetrating left foot and when played up the ground has shown an ability to find the football.

I never said he’s a certainty to be in our best side? I’m just not putting a line through him yet and think he has enough AFL traits to potentially get games next year.

I agree it’ll definitely be harder as a fit Shiel and Caldwell plus improvement from Durham creates a significant logjam of flanker/wingman positions in the side.

That being said Tippa and Smith are our only small forwards and there is very little depth behind Hind as far as running small defenders goes.

He’s quick, runs all day, has penetrating left foot and when played up the ground has shown an ability to find the football.

Lot of discussions about nothing then. All I originally said was if he is in the side then we will have injures. Already said he has footy smarts and can run all day. Right now he is the small forward depth but that does not change the fact is the depth and will be one of the players under pressure for a list spot .
He has played 30 odd games and been in the system for 3 seasons. He has to find another level . You think he can which is okay . If he does then all well and good. My concern is he is as physically developed as he ever will be .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back