Delisted #33: Brayden "Donny" Ham - not offered another contract - 18/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Why?

If it's clear he's going to be delisted, we'll play him as the sub most weeks. Zaharakis pretty much did the same thing to end his career.
im pretty sure there were also claims that Zaharakis has nudes of some description.

Ham have a XXX video of Truck or something?
I get why we make him the sub but seriously, don't!
Let him run out his time in the VFL.

1 HB in how long on the ground ? He should return his match payment.

Really sick of people hating on this bloke.

The decision to play him sub each week is for the betterment of the club there’s no way he’s happy about it.

I haven't seen anything too harsh - it's nothing personal, and I think it's more bewilderment than hatred. He's just so far from AFL-standard, it doesn't make sense to play him. And it's damn hard to watch as a fan - he clearly has absolutely no interest in being out there. We've got a bunch of kids/fringe players trying their guts out in the twos every week to extend their careers not getting rewarded while this bloke's somehow now played 11 games. I know it wouldn't be great for him either, but I can't see how it's for the betterment of the club - he's had one handball in half of footy where we gave up a 20-odd (? - however much it was) point lead in the 4th quarter. You could absolutely argue the decision to have him as the sub cost us the game yesterday.

Doesn’t matter if they’ve told him or not the writing is on the wall and would be a tough position for Ham to be in mentally.
And he got to play a half of football in front of 70k yesterday, he could’ve easily made an impact kicked 2-3 and made clubs take note, look what Carmichael did for collingwood after coming on. Instead he got 2 touch and confirmed what everyone knows. He still had an opportunity and he didn’t take it.

No way they have told him that, but would you rather be the sub, get match payments and be involved with the afl set up or play out the year in the vfl. I know what I’d prefer.
You get match payments for playing VFL as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You get match payments for playing VFL as well.

AFL players don’t unless it’s changed since 2016-17 when I last had anything to do with it.

andleanback is right the $2500 a game AFL players get means you can’t feel too sorry for him.

That being said I’ve never spoken to a player that likes to be named sub. Most would much rather play the guaranteed game in the VFL.

I haven't seen anything too harsh - it's nothing personal, and I think it's more bewilderment than hatred. He's just so far from AFL-standard, it doesn't make sense to play him. And it's damn hard to watch as a fan - he clearly has absolutely no interest in being out there. We've got a bunch of kids/fringe players trying their guts out in the twos every week to extend their careers not getting rewarded while this bloke's somehow now played 11 games. I know it wouldn't be great for him either, but I can't see how it's for the betterment of the club - he's had one handball in half of footy where we gave up a 20-odd (? - however much it was) point lead in the 4th quarter. You could absolutely argue the decision to have him as the sub cost us the game yesterday.
On the first bolded, I think he does he's just not very good.

On the second bolded, as others have pointed out it's for the betterment of the club that we don't have kids with a potential AFL future sitting on the bench each week potentially not playing at all. Ham is clearly not going to be in our plans going forward therefore making him the sub isn't negatively impacting the club in the long term whilst also giving him multiple opportunities to show something and change the club's mind. Unfortunately he's not taking those opportunities.. which is probably not surprising to anyone that's watched his journey. Disappointing because I want to see all our players do well but not surprising.

You don’t get the 5k afl match payment
AFL players don’t unless it’s changed since 2016-17 when I last had anything to do with it.

andleanback is right the $2500 a game AFL players get means you can’t feel too sorry for him.

That being said I’ve never spoken to a player that likes to be named sub. Most would much rather play the guaranteed game in the VFL.
Match payments don't change regardless of whether or not you're playing AFL or VFL. I'm not saying I feel sorry for him, I'm just pointing out that match payments are match payments.

Obviously Ham isn’t up to it but at least he goes out there and tries to play his role. Plenty of people in his predicament would try and play hero ball to stand out.

Match payments don't change regardless of whether or not you're playing AFL or VFL. I'm not saying I feel sorry for him, I'm just pointing out that match payments are match payments.
Yes they do? Afl players don’t get the big match payment playing in vfl. The big match payment is only for the 22 and the sub and or traveling emergencies.

Yes they do? Afl players don’t get the big match payment playing in vfl. The big match payment is only for the 22 and the sub and or traveling emergencies.
I don't believe that's true under the current CBA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back