My Boy Draft 2022: Claim here

Last edited:

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Honestly its not even just the size - does anyone even recall him winning many contests last year? Because I can't.
I think its great that he's bulked up a bit from being a complete twig but he will never be an inside midfielder at AFL level. Its wing, half forward or half back for him. Anything else is just insane.

TheFrenchCut

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I think the biggest thing for Ham is whether he'll be able to stay involved enough. He has some great attributes (pace, endurance - and willing to use both - good kick too, although has a tendency to occasionally kick a ball up rather than through). It's just whether he's smart enough to know where to run and to get on the end of enough handballs, etc.

Wing's the best spot for him but if it's not working out I'd love to see him trialled off half-back for the reasons mentioned above. Think it would be easier for him to find it there and he wouldn't be a total liability in the air - he's shown a bit to suggest he has some courage overhead.

TheFrenchCut

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I think the biggest thing for Ham is whether he'll be able to stay involved enough. He has some great attributes (pace, endurance - and willing to use both - good kick too, although has a tendency to occasionally kick a ball up rather than through). It's just whether he's smart enough to know where to run and to get on the end of enough handballs, etc.
One of the positives from today's hitout was this bloke and that yes, he can get involved consistently.

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
One of the positives from today's hitout was this bloke and that yes, he can get involved consistently.

Work rate has never been a knock, skill has always been (at worst) solid, consistently getting into dangerous positions has been the issue. If he brings that consistency he'll become a valuable player I reckon.

TheFrenchCut

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Work rate has never been a knock, skill has always been (at worst) solid, consistently getting into dangerous positions has been the issue. If he brings that consistency he'll become a valuable player I reckon.
I wasn't saying workrate, I was saying being involved. Knowing where to run, whether it's a good position for an uncontested mark or following up a guy who has taken a mark and giving him an easy handball option.

In his first two games he averaged almost 15km a match, but 7 disposals. Just had to get smarter about where he ran

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
I wasn't saying workrate, I was saying being involved. Knowing where to run, whether it's a good position for an uncontested mark or following up a guy who has taken a mark and giving him an easy handball option.

In his first two games he averaged almost 15km a match, but 7 disposals. Just had to get smarter about where he ran

I wasn't questioning you. Maybe I should've reversed my sentences, then it would've come across as intended.

Has come back with a completely different body shape. He's more nugget than whippet now, looks like Mitch Crowden but with the added benefit of a neck.

Like him

Really pleased to read so many positives for Ham. Did he get any time on-ball?
He didn’t attend any centre bounces but there were a couple of times early where he appeared to be playing on ball to some degree around stoppages.

Versatility then. Does he keep his feet now? The club could actually sell the weights and diet program of a guy like Ham. Transforms body types.
Yep, at least today he did. Is certainly bigger, I hardly recognised him at first.

Has come back with a completely different body shape. He's more nugget than whippet now, looks like Mitch Crowden but with the added benefit of a neck.

Like him

Bully whippet. :heart:

wendy2.jpg

Bully whippet. :heart:

wendy2.jpg
I always wondered... do bully whippets have stronger skeletons to support all that muscle, or does the genetic glitch that causes it just end in injuries or crippling pain?

Looked good but he has always done that in certain games. My main worry is when the game becomes a decent contested affair he drifts out of the game.

westking

Cancelled
Apr 25, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Whoever happens to be winning
Im glad he kept his spot on the list. Definitely should play a lot of games this year. I know there are concerns from many about his contested work, which is fair enough and hopefully he can develop this aspect to reach a level that is deemed acceptable.

There is also another aspect to AFL and I think he could etch out a long career paying on a wing. I know he has had a history of drifting in and out of games this will also improve hopefully. However on this, I like how when a game has been close in the last, I think Brayden has the ability to actually get involved. Its a trait not every one has.

Back