Delisted #33: Brayden "Donny" Ham - not offered another contract - 18/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting move. It's like he and the club sat down and agreed he's building but not guaranteed a spot, but keep this up and you'll be well rewarded come the 2022 resigning. If he regresses, then he's at risk of being delisted. Can be used as a motivator for Ham and a cautiously optimistic view from the club.

Has quite a penetrating left peg which I hadn’t really noticed before for some reason.
Was about to write the same thing. Often deep entries when he goes i50, and for a slight frame he's not afraid of the contact. Also some compisure in traffic today. I don't think we've seen his best yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I tend to see a bit of Stanton in this guy, albeit a better kick.

The running power is something we've missed since he retired.

His left has some serious ping to it now that his trunk is bigger, so weird to actually have someone develop physical attributes while at the club.

Unheard of

He's 7kg of muscle away from being a very good player.

Whether he is physically capable of that is another matter.
7kg is way too much for a winger to put on, you seen the size of Whitfield. He just needs to improve his core strength rather than massively bulk up which will effect his running capacity.

CharlieDons on twitter

The last bit where he takes the mark, plays on, brushes off WHE and keeps running is the one.

He has always covered good ground and this year he has shown he can stay involved and be an option on counter-attacks. Before 2021 he'd never had 20+ touches in a game, now he's done it twice in a month.

But if he can start to take the game on more with his feet and use his speed once he has the ball, he'll become so much more damaging.

He's the kind of player people come for after a loss because there are obvious limitations (size, contested ball winning, tackling ability).

But he has heaps of upside, brings traits we need on a wing, and is reflective of what i think has been a continued change of approach from our recruiting in the last few years.

We need to bear in mind that Ham' role is outside and to cover a lot of ground at pace.

Wingmen tend not to be built heavily.

I doubt his body shape changes a lot from here.

He seems to have found the speed of the AFL game and his kicking looks great again, as it did in 2019 at the lower level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back