Delisted #33: Brayden "Donny" Ham - not offered another contract - 18/10

Remove this Banner Ad

I have such a weird feeling at these moments... months of wishing him away and then it happens and now all I can think about is a deeply disappointed young man. God today must suck so much.

Somehow worse for guys like Ham, rather than Brand as Ham played enough games to think he might be gonna make it.

I think the writing was on the wall and he would have had a pretty good idea. Would be a crap day no doubt, but I don’t think it would have come as a complete shock to him

Could play and had quite a few tools.

Was missing a key tool, though, with a real lack of physicality in his game.

Worth a shot because guys his size do make it but I wouldn't have persisted this far.

Pretty obvious de- listing.

Could play and had quite a few tools.

Was missing a key tool, though, with a real lack of physicality in his game.

Worth a shot because guys his size do make it but I wouldn't have persisted this far.

Pretty obvious de- listing.
He's had both the costs and the benefits of circumstances over the last few years I think.

Player development at the club is obviously a problem, having the VFL team gutted such that he's basically trying to hold down the VFL midfield by himself isn't great either. 2020 we didn't even have a VFL team for him to play in.

Being the most obvious candidate to be the sub isn't helping him much either, as then he's not playing games at either level so can't hone his craft or win a proper spot.

And then we've had high turnover due to premature retirements, free agency and trade requests, coupled with a shallow draft pool as well, so he's not the first on the chopping block and the draft wasn't deep enough to make it worthwhile anyway, so he's had a reprieve through that.

Feels a bit like if he'd been drafted to a different team, or in a different time, it might've worked out differently.

I have such a weird feeling at these moments... months of wishing him away and then it happens and now all I can think about is a deeply disappointed young man. God today must suck so much.

Somehow worse for guys like Ham, rather than Brand as Ham played enough games to think he might be gonna make it.
Especially since he went to Ibiza, so you know he's got some good mates there as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back