Delisted #33: Brayden "Donny" Ham - not offered another contract - 18/10

Remove this Banner Ad

In retrospect it’s a really good, common sense selection. Outside of the 22 I can’t think of anyone else that would have given us that same spread and drive forward, the unfortunate thing for Brayden is that he fumbled a couple of times in the clear with the opportunity to take us forward.
The colyer role

Thought he was good.

Fumbles came later in the game when he got tired.

Was awesome to see him get the goal.

Back to the VFL now for another run but probably earned himself first off the rank when a midfielder goes down again.

He looked reasonable enough, but there's no point getting to every contest when you weigh all of 10kgs and can't stick a tackle. Let him develop in the VFL and gain some size first.
Agree with most of your post, but he stuck 5 tackles, third most (equal with Stringer) out of 44 players on Friday. It's not like his tackling is below AFL/club standard. He'd cope with being tackled a little better with a bit more core strength though.

Agree with most of your post, but he stuck 5 tackles, third most (equal with Stringer) out of 44 players on Friday. It's not like his tackling is below AFL/club standard. He'd cope with being tackled a little better with a bit more core strength though.
Surprised with those numbers. I definitely saw him go for a heap of tackles and get to many contests, but it looked like he either bounced off the player or was just shrugged away.

Surprised with those numbers. I definitely saw him go for a heap of tackles and get to many contests, but it looked like he either bounced off the player or was just shrugged away.
He looked reasonable enough, but there's no point getting to every contest when you weigh all of 10kgs and can't stick a tackle. Let him develop in the VFL and gain some size first.

It is a combination of what the young fella brings to the table.His tenacity, his ability to cover the ground, his skills and the ability to play a variety of roles similar to what Zaka does are what made him get the nod one must imagine.

I really like the kid, neat skills, tackles despite his size and as mentioned, covers the ground well. Won't be surprised to see him play again by years end

Thought I was looking at a skinny Laverde on Sunday.
New hair cut in the same style as Jayden. Green boots. Number 33.
Played okay after a bit of a slow start.

Thought I was looking at a skinny Laverde on Sunday.
New hair cut in the same style as Jayden. Green boots. Number 33.
Played okay after a bit of a slow start.

I thought he played better than ok. He looked a class above at times. loved the way he got around the ground. If he puts on a bit of size, a very suitable replacement for Zaha on a wing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven’t seen enough to have strong opinion but really like his kicking.

I always look at ball drop with young guys, if its wonky they rarely make it at afl level as their kicking can’t stand up under the extra pressure. Ashby was a great example. Ham is really neat hand to foot and has nice touch on his kicks. Can drill them when he needs to as well.

eDPS

If Ham were playing in any team as an u18 with anyone but the Falcons, would his stocks be higher?

Coming runner up in the b&f to some chump called Sam Walsh is no shame at all given Walsh is a jet in every way.

Yes Ham is slight in frame but s**t, he seems to have all the attributes and I haven't felt this giggity about a raw kid since I first saw Rama.

To be clear to nuffities, not comparing to Rama, he just he has that something, at least to me. Could be his hair since 2 weeks ago it was like Wanganeen's but goddamnit, there's something about this kid, he will make it.

eDPS

If Ham were playing in any team as an u18 with anyone but the Falcons, would his stocks be higher?

Coming runner up in the b&f to some chump called Sam Walsh is no shame at all given Walsh is a jet in every way.

Yes Ham is slight in frame but ****, he seems to have all the attributes and I haven't felt this giggity about a raw kid since I first saw Rama.

To be clear to nuffities, not comparing to Rama, he just he has that something, at least to me. Could be his hair since 2 weeks ago it was like Wanganeen's but goddamnit, there's something about this kid, he will make it.
Not sure, Falcons are one of the better sides for giving 19 year olds a go, Falcons didn’t have a huge amount of top end players for him to contend with to be fair, McHenry played a lot of school football aswell

There is absolutely no upside what so ever in playing this kid. Yeah he might be a good bloke and he might try his guts out but he doesn't have any attributes for league footy. He's just another version of Will Hams, way too small and average quite skills.

There is absolutely no upside what so ever in playing this kid. Yeah he might be a good bloke and he might try his guts out but he doesn't have any attributes for league footy. He's just another version of Will Hams, way too small and average quite skills.
He's completely different to Will Hams in that he's an outside mid with speed and skills whereas Will was an inside mid that lacked on the spread.

He's just another version of Will Hams, way too small and average quite skills.

Be honest, how much of this comment is based off the fact they have similar last names?

Will was an inside mid who had heaps of heart but no size and no pace.

Brayden is an outside player so his slim frame isn't the same issue it was for Will. He has pace and his footskills have looked good thus far. He also has a game that could fit into a few more roles unlike Will.

A few fumbles aside, he arguably had more impact against North as a pressure player than Baguley has in a game all season.

Edit: Not meaning to pile on but I cbf deleting this because I spent valuable seconds working on this Hemmingway-like shizz

Massive runner as well, covered 14kms in his debut game. I would say that is a reasonable attribute for AFL level.

He’s baby Gaff in a lot of ways, runs his guts out, holds his width, makes smart albeit pretty safe decisions with the ball and always looks for an overlap.

Now that I’ve seen a little bit I’m not the slightest bit surprised that he’s playing so early, our midfield is notorious for lack of gut running and poor ground coverage and he’s a genuine difference maker already in that regard.

They took away my Hams so they can’t take away my Ham

Remove this Banner Ad

Back