Delisted #33: Brayden "Donny" Ham - not offered another contract - 18/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Super impressive. Owned that wing.

Is it overly optimistic of me to think that he could be what Scully is now?

I'm late to the party re Ham but in the last 4-6 weeks he has played some seriously good games. I look at him making it as a matter of "when" and not "if".

I'm now at the point that all prejudice, both positive and negative, based on draft position is gone if it's not supported by what happens on the field.

As a wingman, Ham doesn't get lost in the transition between defence and attack which I suspect is as much the result of his running capacity as it is his ability to read the game (and it's quite clear that both are crucial to being able to play on a wing). He's a beautiful kick, off both sides, and genuinely hard at the ball (on the ground and above head) even if he is fundamentally an "outside" player.

Physical stature certainly doesn't stop Brad Hill, Gaff and, at least when he's at his best, Scully from being some of the most significant players in the game. There is no reason why it should create any problem for Ham (allowing for the likelihood that he is probably going to need another pre-season or two because he's a bit of a "late bloomer").

All signs are that Ham was a very astute selection.

His ability to burn up and down the ground, using the ball the way he does and hit the scoreboard definitely checks off my "physically dominant" criteria that I use to set aside potential AFL players from what I consider VFL players. See, I haven't yet seen what the difference between Snelling and players like Cavarra or Jolly is. Snelling puts together great numbers but plenty of second-tier players do that. I don't recall seeing a wingman play the way Hams plays (certainly not someone who wasn't already an AFL player).

Edit: Nick Hind might be the closest I can remember seeing but then, like Edwards, he was really just running from defence like Edwards did before him. These guys did not work in the transition in the same phase of play. It was just gassing it from half back as the ground opened up in front of them.

Last edited:

Excellent today. Really not a day for outside players, with us getting comprehensively smashed in the guts, but found it enough and used it well even when under pressure. Easy choice to replace Zaharakis next year.

Would persevere with this kid...reminds me of a young Zac Merrett, the left foot and runs all game...would be the replacement of Zaka I would think for at least next week

Like him - has plenty of tools. Speed and tank are excellent and poise, nous, balance and kicking all look good as well.

Could be a really good outside mid in the Gaff/Scully mould.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Led the game in sprint efforts. Looks balanced with ball in hand. I like him alot... hopefully he likes the weights as much as i like him.
I'm going to get Brayden a summer internship in the building industry so he learns how to eat. Bacon and Egg rolls for breakfast, dim Sims for smoko and a burger with chips for lunch, 6 days a week. As long as he stays on the weights I'll turn him into a 90kg monster in no time.

Unless he stops hitting the gym and then we'll have just made him into a fat campaigner

Don't mind this kid, seriously good on the spread, and will provide some good run an carry now and and moving forward as well. Needs to put some weight on his very very slight frame though, at present he'd have to run around in the shower to get wet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back