Player Watch #33 Caiden Cleary

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
At pick #24 the Swans match Collingwood's pick for Caiden Cleary.

Caiden Cleary

1700476717249.png

Height: 182cm
Weight: 79kg
D.O.B: 05-03-2005

SNAPSHOT: “An inside bull who also works hard on the outside, Caiden Cleary impacts going both ways with serious power.”

A graduate from Sydney Swans Academy, Caiden was a member off the Allies team who won the U18 comp in 2023. He's described as a hard running on-baller who impacts games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely the right decision to match. I don't believe the pies were playing silly buggers by calling him, the premiers wanted what he has to offer so matching was a no brainer.

Close to if not the best pure contested ball winner in the draft.

If we drafted on output and not "athletic potential" I imagine he would have been top ten.

Caiden looks a ripper. He appears to lack versatility which may limit his opportunities early on - not much of an outside game from his highlights - but fantastic inside game. Great work ethic. Good team player. Knows his role. Will be a great boon for our VFL side. Long term, does he have to jump in front of Sheldrick and Roberts to get a game? Does he have prospects of doing so? Time will tell but worthy and good selection.

Caiden looks a ripper. He appears to lack versatility which may limit his opportunities early on - not much of an outside game from his highlights - but fantastic inside game. Great work ethic. Good team player. Knows his role. Will be a great boon for our VFL side. Long term, does he have to jump in front of Sheldrick and Roberts to get a game? Does he have prospects of doing so? Time will tell but worthy and good selection.

Which means Longmire won't be able to play him out of position.

With Mills likely out for the early stage of next season, there's a spot available in the midfield rotations for someone. Sheldrick, Roberts & Cleary seem the likely ones to get it (though I also wouldn't be surprised if none of them got it, with Parker playing full-time midfield instead.)

I think each of them have things that may work in their favour over the summer in earning a leg-up over the others.

Sheldrick has the most exposed form of the three, with four games in the midfield to his name. It's hardly runs on the board, but it gives him something to build on.

Roberts, many forget, was the preferred of he and Sheldrick early last season, being chosen as sub for the first three weeks. So he's shown he can win the coaches over in a pre-season.

And Cleary may have two less pre-seasons to his name than the above two, but write off the Swans academy preparation at your peril. We've seen with Heeney, Mills, Blakey, Campbell & Gulden before him that it's a strong pathway in terms of hitting the ground running in your first pre-season en route to a round 1 debut.

I absolutely froth a pre-season battle for spots, so I hope all three can stay fit as I look forward to seeing it.

Don't be surprised to see him debut in the tagging role that Clarke use to do or find a home down back as a lock down small defender. He is fast, extremely fit and makes as many tackles as one of our AFLW mids.

Don't be surprised to see him debut in the tagging role that Clarke use to do or find a home down back as a lock down small defender. He is fast, extremely fit and makes as many tackles as one of our AFLW mids.

TBH, I will be a bit surprised, at least in the coming season.

Maybe he could overtake Wicks and Konstanty as a pressure forward but he has not evidenced a lot of goal kicking ability/nous that I am aware of, which is also important in that role.

And with the small defender role, I could see that as an option but not as soon as this year. I think it takes a while to groom people to play in back 6 and learn our defensive systems. (Not sure how much the Academy training helps in this regard.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back