Past #33: Ed Vickers-Willis - delisted at end of 2020 season - won't be offered a new contract - 21 NM games - thanks EVW

Remove this Banner Ad

Horrendous luck with injuries, but really thought there was something there when he got on the park, surprised he didn't get a one year contract.

Best of luck in the future EVW, you've got the brains to do anything you want.

Disappointing this one. I would have thought with our lack of depth and 10 open spots we would have held onto him for another year at least. Not sure how we're going to fill those 10 spots with players who will be ready to play next year, especially if we have another bad run of injuries. Would hate to bring in another mediocre delisted player over backing an NMFC player with bad luck.

Have faith in the club though - I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision. Let's hope it pays off.

Disappointing this one. I would have thought with our lack of depth and 10 open spots we would have held onto him for another year at least. Not sure how we're going to fill those 10 spots with players who will be ready to play next year, especially if we have another bad run of injuries. Would hate to bring in another mediocre delisted player over backing an NMFC player with bad luck.

Have faith in the club though - I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision. Let's hope it pays off.

I'd guess that his injuries have curbed his output.

It’s almost like the club is trying to draw a line under years of catastrophic injury issues. A whole raft of players who have suffered from different forms of injuries have been delisted. Garner is the exception that proves the rule. WW just scraped in, probably, on the back of his age.

It does feel like that. Other than Garner, every "maybe if" player hasn't been re-contrcated.

This trend has occurred at the club during previous eras too. Run a few years holding and hoping then have the odd year where they purge part of the list and goes to the draft with several picks.

I'd guess that his injuries have curbed his output.
Yep. Looked like he'd clearly lost a yard or 2 and he was never Speedy Gonzales to begin with. I think it effected his confidence a bit and from that point on he knew he'd be pushing s**t up hill.

>The boys had a chat to recently delisted North Melbourne defender James Frawley

:drunk:

Second delistee to say they didn't get much in the way of reasons for their axing.

We need to sort this s**t out.

People laughed at Durdin but an employee has every right to clarity around these decisions.

McKay and Larkey have both commented previously and not really knowing what's going on.

Hoping these comms improve under Noble.

We need to sort this sh*t out.

People laughed at Durdin but an employee has every right to clarity around these decisions.
Wouldn't be at all surprised if Rawlings just outright said "we're not renewing your contract, any questions?" and while they sat there in semi stunned silence he just took that to mean they didn't have questions, and he just got on to his next task.

Well, in all honesty I would be surprised, but I had a mild chuckle because it was the first thing that came to mind and fit the mental image I had of the very serious and straight faced Rawlings.

Hopefully it's not a big issue, though I'm looking forward to potentially seeing Damo's sermon on it in his next Sliding Doors article.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Second delistee to say they didn't get much in the way of reasons for their axing.

And completed his bachelor of commerce just last night! Well done!
The thing is.... there is noting you can really say ? Its like anytime you leave a job or have to move people on. You can provide feedback if they want but doesn’t change anything? As long as it’s done respectively both ways, that all anyone can do.

Moreso than any other delisting, the decision to let Ed go has given me a real sickening feeling in the stomach. I truly feel this was a bad decision by the football department. Sure he may have struggled to get back to his form pre-injuries but we have the list space to accomodate someone like Ed who has given so much to the club, both on and off the field, and only just managed to get himself back on the park. Another pre-season and who knows. At least they should have given him the chance to prove himself. I remember when he was drafted how much it meant to him. From memory hen went for a drive on his own and just sat in the car for a few hours to take in the gravity of what he'd achieved. This meant a lot to him.

I can understand that the club may have decided that it was heading in a new direction with list strategy and players who posed an injury risk however Ed at the very least deserved a Category B rookie spot.

Moreso than any other delisting, the decision to let Ed go has given me a real sickening feeling in the stomach. I truly feel this was a bad decision by the football department. Sure he may have struggled to get back to his form pre-injuries but we have the list space to accomodate someone like Ed who has given so much to the club, both on and off the field, and only just managed to get himself back on the park. Another pre-season and who knows. At least they should have given him the chance to prove himself. I remember when he was drafted how much it meant to him. From memory hen went for a drive on his own and just sat in the car for a few hours to take in the gravity of what he'd achieved. This meant a lot to him.

I can understand that the club may have decided that it was heading in a new direction with list strategy and players who posed an injury risk however Ed at the very least deserved a Category B rookie spot.
Quality character, easily could have accommodated him for a year.

Well he isn't James Frawley so why would he?

Will be AA full back for hawthorn next year, this is one of the bigger BS delisting. THis is far worse than Billy Hartung delisting.

Yeah billy made us look silly 😏👍

Disappointing, this guy was in my best 22 for next year. Reads the game well, has poise and generally uses the ball well. I could see him developing into a no frills, a steady hand in our back six for the next 5 years. It seems the writing was on the wall when we picked up Corr and Young, although he at least deserved a Rookie Listing. Corr has proven himself, Young not so yet.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

With the AFL announcing allowances for the rookie list next year, is there a chance we pick up EVW onto the rookie list?
I wouldn't think so. The club had the opportunity to do exactly that when they committed to putting Will Walker on the rookie list yesterday. They chose to delist Ed instead so I can't see that the club would be changing their mind now. It's done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back