Past #33: Ed Vickers-Willis - delisted at end of 2020 season - won't be offered a new contract - 21 NM games - thanks EVW

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
As I am going through acl rehab myself, I asked my physio about recurrent ACL tears like EVW. He does some consulting for an AFL club here.

He just said that the data isn't there yet. Everybody's great strengthens at a different rate and no one will ever get ethics clearance to test the breaking point of a great at any given point in time. All we know is that it's not at full strength until 24 months after the reconstruction.

Plus there's always the higher risk of doing your other ACL due to movement patterns that become a new normal during recovery.

With regard to EVW, he believes that all they can do is reconstruct and then take a more conservative approach with return dates. He needs to pump some weights on the legs and hit some yoga.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
As I am going through acl rehab myself, I asked my physio about recurrent ACL tears like EVW. He does some consulting for an AFL club here.

He just said that the data isn't there yet. Everybody's great strengthens at a different rate and no one will ever get ethics clearance to test the breaking point of a great at any given point in time. All we know is that it's not at full strength until 24 months after the reconstruction.

Plus there's always the higher risk of doing your other ACL due to movement patterns that become a new normal during recovery.

With regard to EVW, he believes that all they can do is reconstruct and then take a more conservative approach with return dates. He needs to pump some weights on the legs and hit some yoga.

He’s done the ACL once. The previous 2 were PCLs.

Brufen

Senior List
May 18, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don’t believe EVW has had recurrent ACL injuries.
Had a long term PCL and then ACL in round 1 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don’t believe EVW has had recurrent ACL injuries.
Had a long term PCL and then ACL in round 1 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Someone already corrected, but the point still stands. Both ligaments responsible for knee stability in different directions.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
PCL’s are totally different, they are 95% of the time an impact injury rather than a twist injury

And yet they still use an autograft from which the data we have about their healing rate is insufficient. I don't think it's a huge stretch to say that the former PCL probably contributed to the ACL going pop. Doesn't mean our staff are doing a bad job, but these things happen and we just need to persist.

Last edited:

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Forgotten man.
Seen Ed on a couple of NMFC vids at Thommo's retirement and with the kids doing a anti-gambling advertising speel and he looks good.

With Thommo retired becomes very important to us and reckon he will come up with the goods in 2020. Small glimpses have shown how good he can be.

One positive going forward.

Last edited:

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Forgotten man.
Seen Ed on a couple of NMFC vids at Thommo's retirement and with the kids doing a anti-gambling advertising speel and he looks good.

With Thommo retired becomes very important to us and reckon he will come up with the goods in 2020. Small glimpses have shown how good he can be.

One positive going forward.

He’s was getting in his gym work on the Saturday morning open day last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

speedy

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2001
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Even with Thompson retiring, it’s going to be tight for spots in the backline next year. Tarrant, jasper, Marley and alley are locks. That leaves 2 spots for daw, durdin, McKay, evw, McDonald, McMillan & Ahern. Daw back to his 2018 form is a lock and I think we need Ahern’s skill set as part of the back six. We need to get games into one of mckay or durdin too. Evw has a battle on his hands to win his spot back.

Even with Thompson retiring, it’s going to be tight for spots in the backline next year. Tarrant, jasper, Marley and alley are locks. That leaves 2 spots for daw, durdin, McKay, evw, McDonald, McMillan & Ahern. Daw back to his 2018 form is a lock and I think we need Ahern’s skill set as part of the back six. We need to get games into one of mckay or durdin too. Evw has a battle on his hands to win his spot back.
3 spots. You'd have 7 defenders in the 22 at least, with one from the bench.

I'd like to see Jmac and McDonald in contention for wing/mids spots if everyone is fit and firing and there is no room down back.

Ha. I hope so. Its exactly what we need.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Mcmillan is your Malcolm in the middle type player, he was quite good and solid during scott's era but the game has moved beyond him.

Back