Past #33: Ed Vickers-Willis - delisted at end of 2020 season - won't be offered a new contract - 21 NM games - thanks EVW

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I the only one who is doubting this?

INJURY-CURSED Kangaroos defender Ed Vickers-Willis has escaped serious damage to his surgically repaired left knee.

Vickers-Willis underwent an arthroscopy on Monday after feeling some discomfort in the same knee he sustained an anterior cruciate ligament tear in, in round one this year against Fremantle.

That setback cost the 23-year-old the rest of the 2019 season but he was tracking ahead of schedule in his recovery until this hiccup.

AFL.com.au understands North Melbourne officials had some concerns about Vickers-Willis' graft, similar to why Richmond star Alex Rance pulled the pin on his finals comeback.

It is fairly common for athletes recovering from an ACL rupture to feel some discomfort as they increase their rehabilitation, and this week's operation 'tidied up' some minor issues.

Vickers-Willis will now focus on strengthening the knee again in the lead-up to Christmas rather than resuming running.

He will ramp up his season preparations post the break but will still initially be on a modified program.

There is no return date in mind at this stage for him to play again and that will depend on how he progresses after Christmas.

Vickers-Willis has played only 15 games – and never more than seven in a season – since being the No.36 selection in the 2014 NAB AFL Draft but has looked a long-term option in defence whenever he has appeared.

The 190cm backman is versatile enough to play on tall and small opponents and is part of the club's solution in the wake of Scott Thompson's retirement.

He has endured a horror injury run, including suffering posterior cruciate and lateral ligament tears in his right knee when he crashed into a goalpost in a round seven victory over Sydney in 2018.

Vickers-Willis missed the second half of the 2017 campaign with a PCL issue as well.

INJURY-CURSED Kangaroos defender Ed Vickers-Willis has escaped serious damage to his surgically repaired left knee.

Vickers-Willis underwent an arthroscopy on Monday after feeling some discomfort in the same knee he sustained an anterior cruciate ligament tear in, in round one this year against Fremantle.

That setback cost the 23-year-old the rest of the 2019 season but he was tracking ahead of schedule in his recovery until this hiccup.

AFL.com.au understands North Melbourne officials had some concerns about Vickers-Willis' graft, similar to why Richmond star Alex Rance pulled the pin on his finals comeback.

It is fairly common for athletes recovering from an ACL rupture to feel some discomfort as they increase their rehabilitation, and this week's operation 'tidied up' some minor issues.

Vickers-Willis will now focus on strengthening the knee again in the lead-up to Christmas rather than resuming running.

He will ramp up his season preparations post the break but will still initially be on a modified program.

There is no return date in mind at this stage for him to play again and that will depend on how he progresses after Christmas.

Vickers-Willis has played only 15 games – and never more than seven in a season – since being the No.36 selection in the 2014 NAB AFL Draft but has looked a long-term option in defence whenever he has appeared.

The 190cm backman is versatile enough to play on tall and small opponents and is part of the club's solution in the wake of Scott Thompson's retirement.

He has endured a horror injury run, including suffering posterior cruciate and lateral ligament tears in his right knee when he crashed into a goalpost in a round seven victory over Sydney in 2018.

Vickers-Willis missed the second half of the 2017 campaign with a PCL issue as well.

Phew!

North11

Team Captain
Jul 12, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Okay so my doubting was mostly right.. not retiring and not an ACL again.

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thank ******* christ!

iu

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Lol who was the champion a few pages back that declared he had done his knee, retired and basically already moved onto another career path?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Move him to the LTI, pick up Josh Walker as a SSP rookie and we move on.

Not that simple.

If we place him on the LTI and replace him, he's out for the year, from all levels of football.

He can't be re-activated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not that simple.

If we place him on the LTI and replace him, he's out for the year, from all levels of football.

Is that a new rule?
You used to be able to go on LTI if injured for 6 weeks or longer IIRC?

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
What rotten luck for EVW. I hope he recovers well and has plenty of support around him. I can't imagine the thoughts that must be going through his head at the moment but he must be wondering why me?

I hate hearing news of any player doing an ACL. Such a long hard recovery. Most players never come back quite the same and every time they go out to train or play there must be that scary thought of doing it again in the back of their heads.

And here's a bit of old fashioned farming style way of maybe strengthening his knees if he does to decide to have another go at getting back. Send him bush, put him on an older style tractor, with a heavy clutch and brakes and getting him doing all sorts of tractor work. As a kid I used to have fairly ordinary knees but years of ploughing, cutting hay, spreading super, grading farm tracks, all that sort of stuff, strengthened my knees to a considerable degree. Better than all the physio they do these days!

Yeah I hear you, had a similar upbringing, although my knee surgeon recommended taking up cycling. That has worked for me.

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
You would reckon the results of scans would be known by now, why the need for complete silence from the club ?

Perhaps another club interested in Walker. Make an informed decision on list management so awaiting all info, don't want it getting out and have another club jump in ahead of us. I have no idea, but just a thought/possibility.

Not that simple.

We can go 39-5 then. Take 3 picks to the draft, pick up JW as a rookie.

Yep which means we want to either trade 47 for a future 3rd rounder
Or package 30 and 47 for 1 higher pick

Then take 3 picks plus jw

You keep forgetting we have no list manager to facilitate these trades. Give it up mate

Remove this Banner Ad

Back