Past #33: Ed Vickers-Willis - delisted at end of 2020 season - won't be offered a new contract - 21 NM games - thanks EVW

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, massive improvement from his first game where Dunnell destroyed him early.

Yesterday he looked like he could be a valuable player for us down the track.
Backed up his smarts off the field by showing the sort of intelligence he brings to a side's defence.

15 disposals, 6 marks

Having spent a long time out of the game, Ed Vickers-Willis has made some terrific progress in recent weeks.

The defender pulled down several strong marks, particularly late in the game as Werribee was under siege from the opposition.

“I thought his one-on-one work was really solid. He had a number of spoils when he was out of position,” Development Manager Ben Dyer said.

The 20-year-old came in for praise from his defensive counterparts.

“I thought Vickers-Willis was really good. Just his third-up spoiling and competitiveness was really good,” Joel Tippett said.

But there’s still room for improvement.

“He’d probably be a little bit disappointed with his decision making and a few of his skill errors,” Dyer added.

“So it’s just an opportunity for him to tighten those up a little bit and round out his game a little bit more.”

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2016-06-12/on-the-up

Ed Vickers-Willis says he is relishing his time in the VFL, as he looks to improve week-on-week.

The 20-year-old saw plenty of the footy in Werribee’s loss to Richmond on Sunday, playing a strong defensive game at Punt Rd oval.

“A lot of room for improvement, but each week just looking to get that little bit better as I look to improve,” Vickers-Willis said of his game.

“I’m always looking to defend first, but if the opportunity comes offensively, I’m looking to work a bit harder. As I get the miles into the legs, feel I can get involved more offensively a bit more, so good to get on the end of a few today.”

Vickers-Willis has had an unlucky run with injuries since joining Arden St in the 2014 National Draft.

Now, the number 33 was excited to be seeing a lot more competitive action in 2016.

“It’s been a while since I’ve played continuous footy. I think each week you find you get more miles into the leg, your touch comes back and your quicker with your positioning and decision making,” he said.

It wasn’t the ideal result for Werribee on Sunday, falling to Richmond at Punt Rd oval. Vickers-Willis said the damage was done early on in the game.

“We were in the game day most of the day, but ultimately let them get ahead at the start and were playing catch up all day. Lachie Hansen looked pretty dangerous at the end there but Richmond just kept us at bay and we weren’t able to get on top,” he said.

Despite the loss, he had plenty of praise for his fellow teammates, including the midfield duo of Ryan Clarke and Declan Mountford.

“Those boys always crack in hard. I know ‘Clarkey’ is as hard as a cats head and he’s always in there winning the ball and being better on the outside.

“I really loved Joel Tippett’s game on Liam McBean, he had one early, but ‘Tippo’ was just right up him all day and didn’t give him anything.

“’Preussy’ was awesome. A big job, Ivan Maric has played some great AFL footy but I’d definitely say ‘Preussy’ came out on top today and gave the midfielders first use and looked really strong in the air.”

http://m.nmfc.com.au/api/cfs/afl/vi...irect?mediaId=863065&includeOnlineVideos=true

Jeez. He speaks well.

Also seems to have great composure judging by the clips.
(Sorry for crap link as I'm on my phone!)
Certainly looks to be an exciting prospect.

Enough so to create some excitement against Port or the Maggies, maybe ... ?

Certainly Clarke's game generated some genuine excitement for me and the three junior adrenalinjunkies with me at Subi on Sunday. And we all were sure as hell looking for some.

wouldn't be against him taking mullett's spot
Agreed. For all of Mullett's positive attributes - composure, decision making and skill execution under pressure are not amongst them. Things it looks like EVW bases his game upon.

Mullet looks like he should be a good player because he can kick - but lacks strength over the ball and gets overwhelmed when the pressure is on. I'd love him to be up to it - but he struggles to step up.

Like Clarke - EVW has that look about him where whatever level he plays - he'll perform.

Agreed. For all of Mullett's positive attributes - composure, decision making and skill execution under pressure are not amongst them. Things it looks like EVW bases his game upon.

Mullet looks like he should be a good player because he can kick - but lacks strength over the ball and gets overwhelmed when the pressure is on. I'd love him to be up to it - but he struggles to step up.

Like Clarke - EVW has that look about him where whatever level he plays - he'll perform.
Caveat: not sure on EVW fitness and capacity to run out games with interrupted season. This may be holding him back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was really hoping Fishy would step up, but your assessment is spot on. He doesn't get to many one on one contests and I can't recall him ever winning one.

Fishy is well outside the best 22 now, so I'd like to see EVW get the chance now.

I was really hoping Fishy would step up, but your assessment is spot on. He doesn't get to many one on one contests and I can't recall him ever winning one.

Fishy is well outside the best 22 now, so I'd like to see EVW get the chance now.
He's better in a better side wherehe can add some finishing touches but struggles 7nder consistent pressure.

TBH id wager that EVW would do.a better job defensively than both McKenzie and Mullett and if not for injury would be playing now.

He's better in a better side wherehe can add some finishing touches but struggles 7nder consistent pressure.

TBH id wager that EVW would do.a better job defensively than both McKenzie and Mullett and if not for injury would be playing now.
That doesn't really make sense. Any player will look better in a better side - they'll cover his deficiencies.

Added to that - the way he's playing, he wouldn't get a game in a better side. He's barely playing well enough in an underperforming side to hold a spot! Name one side above us on the ladder he'd get a game in? The reason they're better sides is because they have a higher number of more rounded and better performing players.

That doesn't really make sense. Any player will look better in a better side - they'll cover his deficiencies.

Added to that - the way he's playing, he wouldn't get a game in a better side. He's barely playing well enough in an underperforming side to hold a spot! Name one side above us on the ladder he'd get a game in? The reason they're better sides is because they have a higher number of more rounded and better performing players.

It's the Suckling phenomenon.

Looked great at Hawthorn and now Western, where teammates can find the ball and space for him, to use his peg.

If you threw Suckling into Brisbane, he would be garbage.

I'm a big fan. Smart, tall, strong, quick for his size, good tank and a tidy kick. Got a big future and could get the call up tonight, if not he'll be playing very soon.

Talks like a private school boy and I had been worried he would play like one but loves the contested stuff. That smash and grab on Jordan Lisle, a big ******* bloke, was Ziebellesque.

I spy Ed donning the blue singlet in the background of a pic from training today with Taz, BMac, JMac & Boomer. Probably reading too much in to it, but I'd be rapt if he got a chance this weekend!

The problem with both McKenzie and Mullet is they are crap as attacking weapons, despite being in the side mostly for that purpose. The fact they can't defend is almost a given, but this could be mitigated somewhat by overall defensive structure, but McKenzie simply doesn't use his kicking skills at all, and Mullet's kicking has been completely off for two seasons now.

For that reason, we may as well try EVW to see what he can offer, even though he is probably a different player to these two in many ways. But given his size and supposedly good decision making, he could be the versatile mid sized defender we need. JMac isn't quite this player these days, and is more suitable further up the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back