Past #33: Ed Vickers-Willis - delisted at end of 2020 season - won't be offered a new contract - 21 NM games - thanks EVW

Remove this Banner Ad

Think he plays round one. he is undersized but looks composed

Undersized depending on who he play's on.

He's perfect for someone like Le Cras or Yeo (he's actually much bigger than these 2). Big enough to spoil and still win the ground ball.

Undersized depending on who he play's on.

He's perfect for someone like Le Cras or Yeo (he's actually much bigger than these 2). Big enough to spoil and still win the ground ball.

Yeah agreed, needs to play on those mid sized players which pretty much all clubs have. Will have his work cut out on Tom Lynch at Adelaide, could potentially play on stevie J, and i would give him a crack at stringer. These types of players he will be ideal for if he gets a good run at it

There's certainly a matchup for him in most sides.

Adelaide: Lynch
Brisbane: Taylor
Carlton: Silvagni
Collingwood: Elliott
Essendon: Fantasia
Fremantle: Ballantyne
GWS: Stevie J/Smith
Geelong: Menzel
Gold Coast: J.Martin
Hawthorn: Sicily
Melbourne: Kent
Port: Wingard/Krakeour
Richmond: Lloyd
St Kilda: Membrey
Sydney: Papley
West Coast: Le Cras/Yeo
WB: Stringer/Dickson/Crameri

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd certainly like to see us play without the extra for a change. Under Bon it seems to be his M.O. for every single game, and some sides have utilised their spare well to bamboozle us.
We had to play the seven, Our mids are/were just not good enough defensively to stop run ons.

Our defense always seemed to have to work harder than they should have needed to.

Hoping this has been addressed and we can afford to drop one.

We had to play the seven, Our mids are/were just not good enough defensively to stop run ons.

Our defense always seemed to have to work harder than they should have needed to.

Hoping this has been addressed and we can afford to drop one.

The problem was that opposition coaches knew we'd play with 7 back and some would plan accordingly, slicing us apart utilising their spare, leading to the oft heard cry of "WTF's our plan B?" from North supporters. We didn't have one!

Very happy to see him playing as third tall defender.

Unbelieveable the club wanted to play him as a lockdown mid in his first 12 months.

The one thing that has impressed me is his kicking. His kicking in juniors wasn't that good but he has changed his ball drop dramatically and his whole kicking style is solid. Makes sound decision making too.

The thing that has impressed me most is his composure and decision making. Looks like a player who is rarely flustered, even when under immense pressure. Those traits are some of the most important and invaluable in a footballer imo.

At least with Vickers Willis bs Tarrant down there we have two players who will rarely * it up.
Williams, McDonald and Jamie will * up but at least by not costing a direct shot at goal.
Thompson and Durdin are the deer in headlights candidates, if that.
Defence looks good.

The problem was that opposition coaches knew we'd play with 7 back and some would plan accordingly, slicing us apart utilising their spare, leading to the oft heard cry of "WTF's our plan B?" from North supporters. We didn't have one!

I hear ya, but I definitely prefer us playing a loose man in defence as a default.

The problem is that our loose man in recent times hasn't been able to become a weapon like other teams, as you rightly say. Lachie was very good at running forward and setting up when he played the role, but Scooter hasn't been able to do so with the same effect when he's played it. JMac should be ideal at it when you look at his attributes.

Also, as you touched on, we need to be able to shut down their loose man when they get dangerous. Whether that's assigning them a forward which essentially tags that player or reverting back to a six man defence. We have to be able to read the game situation and adapt - something which the coaching staff haven't been good at doing historically.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back