mickelboy182

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets
Pickett could be an absolute bargain for us. I have really high hopes. Remember how Plowman hadn't played a game for a year or more, had an interrupted pre season yet came on and played 20 games this year. Hopefully Jarrod can do that too.

Plowman played games at the end of 2015

teknodeejay

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, Arsenal
First thing's first. Someone go and get his foot report. Everyone on here will want to know the prognosis. :)

Secondly, I hope he goes well and can play some great AFL quality footy for the next decade with no lingering injury issues.

ForYouBlue

All Australian
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
In one of his draft videos he showed a willingness to adapt to professional standards and expectations. If he can't get on the park and playing good footy it will be no fault of his. Welcome Jarrod, and good luck. Stoked to have you in blue!

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
A look at some of the phantom drafts for Pickett from 2014 has me very excited.

Cal Twomey

JARROD PICKETT
– 18/8/96, 180cm, 76kg, South Fremantle
With speed, a leap, and a take-me-on attitude, Pickett should excite plenty of crowds in his AFL career. The youngster had an inconsistent season but has brilliant talent, and has worked hard over the past 12 months to improve his endurance and long-distance running to add to his burst-away moments. The Giants have kept tabs with Pickett since coach Leon Cameron and the club's recruiters interviewed him in July, and he has no qualms about moving out of Western Australia to follow his football. He's an enthralling player who would add a point of difference to the very talented GWS list.

Knightmare
10. Jarrod Pickett
(WA – Mid)Height:179cm, Weight: 76kg, DOB: 18/08/1996
Recruited from: South Fremantle
Draft range: 5-20
Best position/role: Midfield - outside
Strengths: Speed – No one in this draft has the speed of Pickett. He tests at 2.8 seconds over 20m but the critical thing with Pickett is he uses that speed in game and often with his ability to take on the game with ball in hand special as something he does frequently every game. Linebreaking ability and tendency to take on the game every time the opportunity is there – With Pickett while he has the elite speed the critical thing is he uses it in game better than just about anyone in the country. He has a rare ability to take on and inject energy into the game and break the lines and do it frequently and he just has that natural sense for when he can take advantage of his linebreaking gift and use it in game. He is incredibly hard to tackle with his balance and agility allowing him to dodge and weave past guys and continue running. I really enjoy his tendency after a mark or whenever the opportunity is there to work out quickly that he has the opportunity and then he will take off generating some instant offense and meaningful drive through his meaningful ability to break the lines at speed rather than just going back behind the mark and moving the ball forward slowly which does not generate as many meaningful scoring opportunities as what Pickett does. Pickett really understands he can impact games with his linebreaking ability and he sums up the right opportunities to use it and he will break the lines for 20m, 30m, 40m, 50m, 60m and will go as long as you give him the space in front of him to run into.
Ability to hit the scoreboard and use the footy – Pickett as an outside type can really hit the scoreboard in bunches on a wing and is more than capable given his junior goal scoring totals in WA of averaging more than a goal a game at AFL level. He is a very good finisher around goal, knowing where the goals are and is a significant threat running into an open goal and on the run into the forward 50. As a ball user Pickett is very clean by both hand and foot and hits his targets consistently and overall is an above average ball user. He is also an excellent kick on the move at speed and even probably a slightly better ball user on the move than he is after a mark seeming to find some better targets while he is on the move. Pickett can at times make the occasional decision making error, mostly this seems to be after a mark and he can also similarly after a mark also lack the vision to find some better placed targets tending to go long down the line on most occasions but with ball in hand in general play is an excellent decision maker looking cool and composed with ball in hand and even when under pressure or getting tackled finds a way to dispose of the ball cleanly. Ability to find and win the footy – Often with the most damaging outside types it is rare that they can find the footy in bunches and while Pickett is not an elite accumulator he is still a good accumulator for an outside type which is really critical and greatly adds to his value because he is someone where he will do great damage with his touches and through finding it a lot also will break the lines with frequency rather than only occasionally which is what makes him a real top quality prospect in my mind. He is also not allergic to winning the contested footy as many similar outside linebreakers are and while he will remain predominantly outside, winning the contested footy is something he can still at times do for an outside type. These two signs for me are the big factors when you add that to his offensive gifts and linebreaking ability which suggests to me he has a big future ahead of him at AFL level because you know he will find enough of it to be relevant and do damage and break games open often.Ability overhead and at ground level – Pickett has strong hands overhead and seems to consistently take his marks cleanly. He also has the cleanness at ground level to pick up the footy, often on the move and just continue to go at speed without any need to pause. He can occasionally fumble slightly but overall he is clean and reads the bounce well, getting onto it at speed and winning the footy, reacting and reading the bounce quickly and consistently.
Senior WAFL league experience – Towards the end of the season Pickett received valuable senior WAFL league experience playing in the five league level games. Additionally Pickett also performed and looked at ease in the AIS v Collingwood game earlier in the season so he should be able to make the adjustment and continue to have an impact against bigger bodies.
Weaknesses:Defensive running – At this stage Pickett is a one way offensive runner and while he will give maximum effort running and carrying the ball he seems to take it easier on the other side of the ball and to an extent seems to conserve his energy which is a habit he will have to break at the next level if he wants regular senior games.
What I expect will improve:pickett’s defensive running will surely improve but otherwise I see Pickett largely improving on his strengths and transferring those strengths into an AFL setting and continuing in the most part to do what he does.Who he can become?I see Pickett developing into something similar to Lewis Jetta. Pickett does not have as much penetration on his kick but otherwise I feel Pickett’s numbers and ability to impact games with his line breaking ability to be relatively similar.When will he be ready to play?Pickett has the ability to receive some senior games from season one. He is likely not a round one starter and will likely need to prove himself first in the 2s for a team but with the linebreaking ability and energy he can inject into games he is someone I imagine a team would feel compelled to give senior games to at some point. By season two or three I imagine Pickett will then establish himself in the best team and be a different maker pretty well right away. How to best utilise him?Pickett is best utilised on a wing as an outside linebreaker.
Interpretation of his numbers:pickett’s numbers have been strong through the U18 champs for these past couple of seasons and he is also performed well in the WA colts, reserves and seniors. He is hitting the scoreboard regularly, collecting strong numbers and also showing he can win some of his own ball which are all strong indicators that his game can transfer to senior AFL level. All his numbers when you look at that and consider the way he plays his footy. He has a real opportunity ahead of him and has the opportunity to be a real difference maker for a team.

Jay Clark

4. GWS GIANTS

Jarrod Pickett (South Fremantle)

H: 177cm W: 74kg

Wingman

Pickett might be the most electrifying talent in the draft. He takes on defenders, kicks goals at big moments and could give Devon Smith a small forward co-pilot.

SE_Blue

Cancelled
Jul 18, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves; Meath GAA
Just getting sick of people pointing out negatives.
We should all look forward

He's not pointing out negatives mate. Just giving us Pickett's NEAFL stats as he did with Palmer and Marchbank, and the same as he did with our GWS recruits from last year when they came across.

The Facepainter

All Australian
Jul 4, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
REDS BASEBALL
Jarrod PICKETT

2016 NEAFL
3 games
Averages

• 9.7 kicks
  • 3.7 handballs
  • 13.3 disposals
  • 2.3 marks
  • 1.3 tackles
  • 1.0 frees for
  • 1.0 frees against
  • 2.3 clearances
  • 4.0 inside 50s
  • 0.7 rebound 50s
  • 49.67 DT points

Totals
  • 1 goal
  • 3 behinds
  • 0 times in best players list

2015 NEAFL
17 games
Averages

• 8.4 kicks
  • 5.8 handballs
  • 14.2 disposals
  • 3.4 marks
  • 3.1 tackles
  • 0.5 frees for
  • 0.9 frees against
  • 1.3 clearances
  • 2.4 inside 50s
  • 0.4 rebound 50s
  • 67.24 DT points

Totals
  • 26 goals
  • 17 behinds
  • 2 times in best players list
Apologies

PLAYER BIO

Small forward/midfielder with electrifying pace who can set the game alight. Smart around goals and has elite endurance. Finished equal-second in the 20m sprint at the NAB AFL Draft Combine with a time of 2.87 sec and recorded a time of 2.87 sec in the agility run. He averaged 14 possessions and three marks in his six hit-outs during the 2014 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships and was a member of NAB AFL Academy Level 2 squad.

I like the 'elite endurance' bit. That surprised me.

Back