AFL Player #15: Jayden Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

The inside 50s were shocking. If you rewatch the game a lot of them were long to a 2v1 for carlton who consistently had one back.
I’d prefer not to rewatch the game I understand your point. I’m not blaming the loss on Jayden at all. It’s obvious our coaches have no *ng idea.
My main point is that laverde doesn’t have any confidence when shooting at goal and it is a liability as he is one of our 6 forwards.

The kid is 6'3" with a tonne of injuries. He is 3 games in at AFL level after a 12 week pre season lay off. Not to mention that the AFL team he is in is probably the worst situation for a young forward to play in. No structure and a total inability to win clearances.

If you expected a 'Ronke' then you are as bad as Worsfold.

Spot on there mate!!!! I Totally agree!!!!
Can’t get my head around all the negative Rubbish comments on here

For everyone having a go, or for those who are even going to the extent of under-estimating this guy or completely writing him off (lol ONLY after 3 games in the seniors we are talking here) after coming back from long term injuries that he had are seriously kidding themselves. That’s not even taking into consideration the previous years which were injury affected. Give it a rest, give him a break honestly, he should not be the scapegoat for unleashing your anger people. There are lot Bigger concerns that need to be ironed out and addressed, such as the style of play, basic team errors and carrying senior players which we are bending the team rules for. Teams are identifying our weaknesses and taking for advantages of them. If you were going to be fair then you could say the majority of his teammates have been well below par for consequetive games too.

Playing as a half forward in my opinion can be one of the hardest positions on the ground and as for playing this role currently in this essendon team well let’s just say even harder.
I agree with the comments “playing for Essendon is probably the worst situation for a young forward to play in. No structure and a total inability to win clearances.”
We may have won the forward 50 entries today but that’s means nothing in my opinion. It all depends on the quality coming in.

This kid is basically learning all over again and trying to find his feet. Patience is what is needed and the hope to find consistency at some point. Early on in a young players career there will be times they take a few steps back to go forward.

I rate him very highly. Especially after today there will be those that are simply to hard headed and won’t ever get it. I have no doubt whatsoever that this kid is one of our most talented. He is highly rated for a reason, so in time he will come good. Just needs a good run, continuity in games, get the experience, slowly, slowly build each game and he will get his confidence back. And FWIW since he has been at essendon he hasn’t even been tried at all in his actual positions being the Wing and half back

I’d prefer not to rewatch the game I understand your point. I’m not blaming the loss on Jayden at all. It’s obvious our coaches have no ****ng idea.
My main point is that laverde doesn’t have any confidence when shooting at goal and it is a liability as he is one of our 6 forwards.

This is for “FLASH10” & “MADBomberSean”
Ofcourse he doesn’t have the confidence at the moment in his goal kicking and field kicking. Obviously it’s mental and a confidence thing.

In he’s first year I remember he kicked his first 5 or 6 straight, full of confidence coming out of under 18 being drafted. Then there’s returning to senior footy after long term injuries and he’s missing most simple shots at goal! Come on people it’s pretty clear what affects these things, he’s definitely capable we know that. So in being ruthless and telling him he’s a liability, with his confidence already where it is ...would that really be beneficial for the individual.

This is for “FLASH10” & “MADBomberSean”
Ofcourse he doesn’t have the confidence at the moment in his goal kicking and field kicking. Obviously it’s mental and a confidence thing.

In he’s first year I remember he kicked his first 5 or 6 straight, full of confidence coming out of under 18 being drafted. Then there’s returning to senior footy after long term injuries and he’s missing most simple shots at goal! Come on people it’s pretty clear what affects these things, he’s definitely capable we know that. So in being ruthless and telling him he’s a liability, with his confidence already where it is ...would that really be beneficial for the individual.
I understand what you’re saying Footlegend111. But we are in a professional league where Jayden is earning $250k+ per year.
If he can’t stand up to the pressure against the 18th placed team in his 4th year then do you think he will be part of our next premiership?

I understand what you’re saying Footlegend111. But we are in a professional league where Jayden is earning $250k+ per year.
If he can’t stand up to the pressure against the 18th placed team in his 4th year then do you think he will be part of our next premiership?
It is probably more about confidence in his own body. That's what repeat injuries does to a young player.

Do you get it mate? Answer is simple. Once he’s confidence is back up to where it should be or has been before he will convert majority of he’s chances. Yes your prob right mate they should kick them but the reality is it happens in just about every game. Players on double or even more than him miss simple shots but positivity is needed cos they will come good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you get it mate? Answer is simple. Once he’s confidence is back up to where it should be or has been before he will convert majority of he’s chances. Yes your prob right mate they should kick them but the reality is it happens in just about every game. Players on double or even more than him miss simple shots but positivity is needed cos they will come good.
And definately won’t be playing in a premiership this year in the team he’s surrounded In and also in his 4th year with his confidence not any where near its peak coming off a long term injury.

Yeah completely understand mate! I want him to make it.
I remember watching his first game against Melbourne and thinking this guy is our future. He didn’t get a lot of it but I thought he had ‘it’.
It makes me think it’s our development of players that’s the cause of where we are right now.

Last edited:
Yeah completely understand mate! I want him to make it.
I remember watching his first game against Melbourne and thinking this guy is our future. He didn’t get a lot of it but I thought he had ‘it’.
It makes me think it’s our development of players that’s the cause of we’re we are right now.
In my opinion it might not be anything to do with that. It could just be a few things need adjusting, eg. Game plan .... Who’s knows at this stage. Tweek or change a few things year to year and you never know what could happen. Richmond could be a good example. Last year 2017 they were premiers. 2016 the Year before Everyone thought they had the worst list etc. in the league. People wrote them off, said they had no room to improve, no development, or nothing really coming through and then look what happened.

That would have to be the first positive thing that you’ve posted. Also noted from your posts you don’t mind repeating your self over and over ‘Pete repeat’ when you cant stand something. Easily Essendons most negative supporter

Righto, thanks for your in-depth analysis & compliments. lol.

This is the kids 4th year in the system. He was put at the front of the queue on the basis of his potential.
Has had a few injuries, and recovered from them. But his skills are still an issue. I dont buy that his set shot routine or field kicking, which is questionable has is a function of injury, or the other excuses being banded around - confidence, development, injury, game plan, training issues, being played out of position, coaches, Essendon, not enough tweaks, the other guy, wrong colour footy boots yada yada yada yada.

BS.

Improve your skills or your out.. Simple. This aint a beauty contest

If he doesn't improve his skill level in the next 3 games he can go practicing in VFL.

What is his role in the team? Do they see him as a half forward or a midfielder? Either way surely we persist and see what he can do.

Another thing I'll add is between him and Langford, who I consider to play similar forward/mid roles, they clearly prefer Laverde as he comes straight in as soon as he's deemed fit.

Spot on there mate!!!! I Totally agree!!!!
Can’t get my head around all the negative Rubbish comments on here

For everyone having a go, or for those who are even going to the extent of under-estimating this guy or completely writing him off (lol ONLY after 3 games in the seniors we are talking here) after coming back from long term injuries that he had are seriously kidding themselves. That’s not even taking into consideration the previous years which were injury affected. Give it a rest, give him a break honestly, he should not be the scapegoat for unleashing your anger people. There are lot Bigger concerns that need to be ironed out and addressed, such as the style of play, basic team errors and carrying senior players which we are bending the team rules for. Teams are identifying our weaknesses and taking for advantages of them. If you were going to be fair then you could say the majority of his teammates have been well below par for consequetive games too.

Playing as a half forward in my opinion can be one of the hardest positions on the ground and as for playing this role currently in this essendon team well let’s just say even harder.
I agree with the comments “playing for Essendon is probably the worst situation for a young forward to play in. No structure and a total inability to win clearances.”
We may have won the forward 50 entries today but that’s means nothing in my opinion. It all depends on the quality coming in.

This kid is basically learning all over again and trying to find his feet. Patience is what is needed and the hope to find consistency at some point. Early on in a young players career there will be times they take a few steps back to go forward.

I rate him very highly. Especially after today there will be those that are simply to hard headed and won’t ever get it. I have no doubt whatsoever that this kid is one of our most talented. He is highly rated for a reason, so in time he will come good. Just needs a good run, continuity in games, get the experience, slowly, slowly build each game and he will get his confidence back. And FWIW since he has been at essendon he hasn’t even been tried at all in his actual positions being the Wing and half back

Jayden is that you ?

LOL

I actually think you're on the money hahaha

Jayden we believe in you man.

We want you to succeed.

Bloody ripper mrs btw, can clearly pull.

Langford needs to play in front of Laverde - I'm far more confident that Langford has more relevant AFL attributes - Laverde has been awful in the last two weeks and doesn't seem to fit a defined role in the team.

Is this guy just symptomatic of us at the moment or what?

Beast, dominates at VFL level... steps up and doesn’t seem to know what he’s doing.

Where’s the development??
Maybe he’s disoriented in a game plan that isn’t working whilst all around him the opposition are oriented in a game plan that works.

In the VFL his role is simplified and he can play more intuitively. In the AFL he’s being thrown into a clunky machine. The transition would be much easier if we were gelling.

Having said that, he needs to find a way to get involved when it’s not working for us. Even if it’s just to focus on tackling ferocity, blocking, or shielding our key forwards from the second man up, etc. etc.

While I understand that he’s been terrible, it must be super difficult trying to play at the highest level when all the senior players are in self preservation mode & completely confused in regards to our gameplan.

Not an excuse but I still don’t see why we can’t play him for another month at least. May as well finally find out what he has to offer.

Maybe he’s disoriented in a game plan that isn’t working whilst all around him the opposition are oriented in a game plan that works.

In the VFL his role is simplified and he can play more intuitively. In the AFL he’s being thrown into a clunky machine. The transition would be much easier if we were gelling.

Having said that, he needs to find a way to get involved when it’s not working for us. Even if it’s just to focus on tackling ferocity, blocking, or shielding our key forwards from the second man up, etc. etc.
Getting him involved would be as simple as bringing him to a few centre bounces or putting him under the pack at the stoppages in the forward half. Yet, Laverde was playing an outside role yesterday which, given his his physical attributes and shaky skills, is mystifying. Put the guy on the ball.

Nothing makes up for effort Jayden.
Not talent, not connections, not a great hair cut....

Thanks for laying Zero tackles this weekend mate. Good stuff....

Next time lay a *en tackle mate.
Or piss offf

Remove this Banner Ad

Back