Last edited by a moderator:

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
Welcome Lewey…
Certainly has some good strengths for a 202cm KPP, reads the ball in flight really well, good interceptor & contested mark, backs himself in the air…
If he can put on some more muscle and strength, improve his one on one game on the best KP forwards he could develop into a very handy defender for us…

GordonBlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Just seems like a calculated best fit for needs, fit for age and fit for price recruit, with the added bonus that he has attribute that could allow him to develop into a top player.

I am very happy with this signing. Just seems like the kind of recruit other good teams do that has me always thinking "why can't we do that?"

The Return of the Paf

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Predicted this back in early may when some jokers suggested we might make a trade for Josh Schache.

Welcome Lewy. Doggies friend sorry to see you go. I like your height and marking abilities. Reckon we might see you in a few spots as cover while the defence apprenticeship is served. Good luck. Wear the jumper well.

Kreuz Control

Team Captain
Jul 26, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Welcome Lewy. Doggies friend sorry to see you go. I like your height and marking abilities. Reckon we might see you in a few spots as cover while the defence apprenticeship is served. Good luck. Wear the jumper well.

Imagine being a young KPD and getting to learn from two of the best in the league, and having to play on the Coleman winner at training. I have a feeling he's going to be a great pick up.

MileHigh

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Could recruiting Young mean that we don't need another ruck on our list?

I wouldn't plan to play him in the ruck, but if BOTH Pittonet and TDK are injured AND Mirkov isn't ready, Young can hold the fort for a few weeks...

Saves us having to have four rucks on the list, competing for only 1-2 spots....
Could go after Lobb. Heard he loves to ruck.

MileHigh

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Is it just me or is it silly to be talking about KPD at 202cm? Very rare you need them at that height. Maybe 3 teams I can think of in the comp (and we are one of them) where they have genuine forwards at that height. I thought this was a ruck acquisition. Unless we are gonna do some sort of ruck/forward De Koning + ruck/defense Young style set up 50/50 thing that hasn't been tried. Do people forget we have a Marchbank? Yes he's been injury prone, but so has Charlie Curnow. And McGovern. I'd want this to be a ruck/def role and not a def/ruck role or I'd be disappointed.

Big Delut

All Australian
Nov 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Inter, Cubs, Gli Azzurri
Is it just me or is it silly to be talking about KPD at 202cm? Very rare you need them at that height. Maybe 3 teams I can think of in the comp (and we are one of them) where they have genuine forwards at that height. I thought this was a ruck acquisition. Unless we are gonna do some sort of ruck/forward De Koning + ruck/defense Young style set up 50/50 thing that hasn't been tried. Do people forget we have a Marchbank? Yes he's been injury prone, but so has Charlie Curnow. And McGovern. I'd want this to be a ruck/def role and not a def/ruck role or I'd be disappointed.

200cm+ key forwards are becoming much more common these days. McKay, Max King, Ben King, Daniher, Hipwood, Dixon, Ben Brown, Thilthorpe plus Tom Lynch who is 199cm

MileHigh

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Fine. But the idea should be play him back when we have teams with those players. We should be ruck minded with this guy. We were rucking JSOS FFS. Where does that show you our deficiencies lie? As I say, Marchbank is there. Has been unlucky with injuries. Also, am I the only one who rated Parks. He's only 20.

Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Fine. But the idea should be play him back when we have teams with those players. We should be ruck minded with this guy. We were rucking JSOS FFS. Where does that show you our deficiencies lie? As I say, Marchbank is there. Has been unlucky with injuries. Also, am I the only one who rated Parks. He's only 20.
JSos was brilliant as a relief ruck. Young was horrible as a ruck for the dogs. Height doesn't just mean he can ruck.

He's an intercept marker, a brilliant one, who's leaving the dogs because bev was trying him in the ruck! We aren't deficient there. We've got pitto back, another off season into TDK, JSos, Harry/Charles, Crippa etc to pinch if need be. Mirkov developing too. If anything we need a kpf developing in the twos and possibly another KPD along with young.

Back