Senior 33. Lewis Young

Remove this Banner Ad

Fine. But the idea should be play him back when we have teams with those players. We should be ruck minded with this guy. We were rucking JSOS FFS. Where does that show you our deficiencies lie? As I say, Marchbank is there. Has been unlucky with injuries. Also, am I the only one who rated Parks. He's only 20.
I agree with all of the above. I also think Parks was stiff to get dropped but looking at the flogging we were getting at the end of the season I’m sure he was dropped so the club looked accountable. Hope it didn’t do his confidence any harm.

Fine. But the idea should be play him back when we have teams with those players. We should be ruck minded with this guy. We were rucking JSOS FFS. Where does that show you our deficiencies lie? As I say, Marchbank is there. Has been unlucky with injuries. Also, am I the only one who rated Parks. He's only 20.
Marchbank was never a KPD. At 193cm, he's a 3rd tall in a backline, but will never play on the big guys. I have no idea how he's progressing with his recovery, but I'd be very surprised if he was ready for senior footy before mid-season next year. Hope he gets back on the park, but I wouldn't be counting on it.

We also need to consider that Jones is now 30, he won't be around forever either. Recruiting Young was a wise move. I'd expect to see us target another young tall in the draft. We can't afford to be caught out again like we were this year, though we were dreadfully unlucky with the number of injuries we had to tall players. Gov could potentially make a move back, but he's not as tall as you might think either - just 191cm. Again, would be a 3rd tall.

Marchbank was never a KPD. At 193cm, he's a 3rd tall in a backline, but will never play on the big guys. I have no idea how he's progressing with his recovery, but I'd be very surprised if he was ready for senior footy before mid-season next year. Hope he gets back on the park, but I wouldn't be counting on it.

We also need to consider that Jones is now 30, he won't be around forever either. Recruiting Young was a wise move. I'd expect to see us target another young tall in the draft. We can't afford to be caught out again like we were this year, though we were dreadfully unlucky with the number of injuries we had to tall players. Gov could potentially make a move back, but he's not as tall as you might think either - just 191cm. Again, would be a 3rd tall.
Without wanting to start a shitfight of the kind this board is known for in a welcome thread, 193cm is not too short to be a KPD. Lever is 194cm. Clury is 193cm, Jonas 188cm. Brad Sheppard is 189cm, Jeremy McGovern 190cm. Dylan Grimes is 193cm. Cordy is 193cm. Darcy Gardiner and Marcus Adams are 193cm and 192cm respectively. Dayne Rampe is 187cm. Steven May is 193cm.

Marchbank's playstyle is more why he's not best used as a KPD, because he's not the one on one beast Jones or Weitering are. He's certainly tall enough, if he can ever get fit and strong enough, to stand as a second KPD if we can arrange help.

I have seen quite a few people have put Young straight into their best 22 for 2022.

My understanding was that Young was brought in as an understudy to Jones and had to improve his defensive capabilities before being considered a lock for best 22.

Can someone who knows more about him give us an idea of what to expect?

Will he play alongside Jones and Weitering or will he play majority of time in VFL?

Without wanting to start a shitfight of the kind this board is known for in a welcome thread, 193cm is not too short to be a KPD. Lever is 194cm. Clury is 193cm, Jonas 188cm. Brad Sheppard is 189cm, Jeremy McGovern 190cm. Dylan Grimes is 193cm. Cordy is 193cm. Darcy Gardiner and Marcus Adams are 193cm and 192cm respectively. Dayne Rampe is 187cm. Steven May is 193cm.

Marchbank's playstyle is more why he's not best used as a KPD, because he's not the one on one beast Jones or Weitering are. He's certainly tall enough, if he can ever get fit and strong enough, to stand as a second KPD if we can arrange help.
Sure - to avoid shitfight, I'll agree with you - height ain't everything and that's a good list of defenders. :)

So just take out the "At 193cm..." from my prev post and everything else still stands. He's not a KPD, and doubt he ever will be. If he gets back on the park at all, we should consider it a bonus, but if so, you'd doubt they'll play him in any role other than as an intercepting defender/3rd or even 4th tall.

Young definitely does give us a badly needed KPP option. Whether he matures into a Jones replacement, time will tell, he's still young (npi). The other thing to bear in mind is that the rule changes in the last couple of years have brought changes into structures, with some sides at times playing 3 or even 4 talls up forward - we were definitely caught out several times last year with a lack of height in defence, even before Jones went down. And we're now seeing more very tall key forwards - we've got one of our own - and he made mincemeat of the shorter defences. Remember though May and Lever aren't particularly tall, they had Petty to lock down on the tall forwards. I can certainly see Young playing a similar role, and allowing either Jones or Weitering some freedom. Either that or Young plays the intercept tall role, does a bit of ruckwork with someone like Kemp going back when he is on the ball. If nothing else, it gives us options. I'd still like to see another such tall on our list, but perhaps that's something for next year. A better run with injuries would be nice, too.

Sure - to avoid shitfight, I'll agree with you - height ain't everything and that's a good list of defenders. :)

So just take out the "At 193cm..." from my prev post and everything else still stands. He's not a KPD, and doubt he ever will be. If he gets back on the park at all, we should consider it a bonus, but if so, you'd doubt they'll play him in any role other than as an intercepting defender/3rd or even 4th tall.

Young definitely does give us a badly needed KPP option. Whether he matures into a Jones replacement, time will tell, he's still young (npi). The other thing to bear in mind is that the rule changes in the last couple of years have brought changes into structures, with some sides at times playing 3 or even 4 talls up forward - we were definitely caught out several times last year with a lack of height in defence, even before Jones went down. And we're now seeing more very tall key forwards - we've got one of our own - and he made mincemeat of the shorter defences. Remember though May and Lever aren't particularly tall, they had Petty to lock down on the tall forwards. I can certainly see Young playing a similar role, and allowing either Jones or Weitering some freedom. Either that or Young plays the intercept tall role, does a bit of ruckwork with someone like Kemp going back when he is on the ball. If nothing else, it gives us options. I'd still like to see another such tall on our list, but perhaps that's something for next year. A better run with injuries would be nice, too.
Yeah the 2m giants do make it tough for us. Young certainly brings 10cm on Jones and Jacoby

Welcome Lewey…
Certainly has some good strengths for a 202cm KPP, reads the ball in flight really well, good interceptor & contested mark, backs himself in the air…
If he can put on some more muscle and strength, improve his one on one game on the best KP forwards he could develop into a very handy defender for us…
202? Listed at 197

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They didn't let him go, they had no choice - he was out of contract and knocked back a 2yr extension. I suspect he liked the prospect of settling into a key defensive position as understudy to a 31y/o Jones as opposed to Bevo moving him btw forward and ruck.

I was looking at footywire . Fantastic if true because he seems very mobile for that height - so he is just shy of Harry at 204. I am still mystified as to why the dogs let him go.
He has some good strengths for a player of his height, versatile, great athleticism, good in the air and decent footy IQ….

It’s his ability on the top end KPF’s head to head that he needs to improve on, body strength/work and posistioning…

So far it’s the area of his game that is holding him back from possibly becoming a really good KPD, been thrown around a fair bit, settle him down back to develop has some good qualities to build on…

Could recruiting Young mean that we don't need another ruck on our list?

I wouldn't plan to play him in the ruck, but if BOTH Pittonet and TDK are injured AND Mirkov isn't ready, Young can hold the fort for a few weeks...

Saves us having to have four rucks on the list, competing for only 1-2 spots....

I would think if there any concerns with rucks over summer and someone on injury list, we could always ring up Nathan Vardy and ask him if he willing to train with us and be picked up in Supplemental Selection Period. We got the young ruck slots covered. It is older body we lack, if we ended up needing it. It is why Giants talked Mummy out of retirement as their other rucks were all young and still learning.

I would think if there any concerns with rucks over summer and someone on injury list, we could always ring up Nathan Vardy and ask him if he willing to train with us and be picked up in Supplemental Selection Period. We got the young ruck slots covered. It is older body we lack, if we ended up needing it. It is why Giants talked Mummy out of retirement as their other rucks were all young and still learning.

Yep, why carry an extra ruck on your list that you may not need?

Better off getting through pre-season and then seeing if you need one (as you said). If not, you get another chance in the MSD if all your rucks are out.

Sure there's a chance all your rucks could go down in the second half of the season. But there' always that risk. You can't have 10 KPFs on your list just in case most get injured. Same logic why you don't need more than 3-3.5 rucks on your list.

Yep, why carry an extra ruck on your list that you may not need?

Better off getting through pre-season and then seeing if you need one (as you said). If not, you get another chance in the MSD if all your rucks are out.

Sure there's a chance all your rucks could go down in the second half of the season. But there' always that risk. You can't have 10 KPFs on your list just in case most get injured. Same logic why you don't need more than 3-3.5 rucks on your list.
4 is the ideal amount. One older one whilst younger ones still finding their feet to take it all on themselves and then you like to have one young project one.
Kruezer retiring early has meant we lacked the older one and had to make do with Pittonet and he still learning himself. I think most rucks take to their last 20's to be able to almost do it solo to any high level.
But with smaller lists this Co-Vid period we running low. Going with only 3 and none of them super experienced is taking a gamble but hoping Lewis Young or Liam Jones can fill in, if got to emergency stakes, it better than what we had in 2020 where we had none left.

Well welcome Lewis Young - step right up :D

Did you say you want to have a permanent role in the backline - well it's all your now.
Go out there and show us what you've got!

Ideally would like this guy as our 3rd tall in the backline for the next couple of years but it might now be his time to shine.

Good luck young fellow, you got this!

How is Lewis Young tracking in his new environment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back