Delisted #33 Marc Sheather

Remove this Banner Ad

SheatherP-CCC219-DL-777x437.jpg

Marc Sheather
[Player Profile TBA]

Marc Sheather
Sydney Academy | Medium Utility
11/06/2002 | 185cm | 84kg

Another strong Swans Academy candidate, Sheather is a true utility in the sense that he can play both small and tall up either end, while also developing as a midfielder. He already cuts a strong figure and has handy athletic traits.

Last edited:

I stumbled across this kids highlights on youtube and fell in love. Really stoked about him

Not even exaggerating when I say that might be the best highlights package I've seen from a rookie.

Marc Sheather
Sydney Academy | Medium Utility
11/06/2002 | 185cm | 84kg

Another strong Swans Academy candidate, Sheather is a true utility in the sense that he can play both small and tall up either end, while also developing as a midfielder. He already cuts a strong figure and has handy athletic traits.

Impressive highlights. What stood out for me was his footy smarts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have we been hiding him? Off those highlights he should've been drafted!

Cant wait to see him and Warner sharing a midfield. Oppo will be scared to touch the footy!

If I had to guess (and I am, anybody who has kept an eye on him please jump in), lots of strength and talent but doesn't get heavily involved in games. Highlights were one or two per game, max. Probably doesn't have the tank yet.

He's been described as a "developing midfielder" so I'm thinking that's code for "used to be a KPP but didn't grow enough so now he plays midfield but doesn't quite have the tank yet".

Really happy for another academy kid to get a crack at the big time.
I wrote in the ressies thread back in May ‘19 “Just get out of his way or you’ll get hurt”, hopefully a little polish in the finesse department and he could be real bargain for the club.
Congrats Marc and best of luck!
Nool, an particular reason why he wasn't on the radar in the main draft? I'm assuming there was work to still be done in parts of his game?

If I had to guess (and I am, anybody who has kept an eye on him please jump in), lots of strength and talent but doesn't get heavily involved in games. Highlights were one or two per game, max. Probably doesn't have the tank yet.

He's been described as a "developing midfielder" so I'm thinking that's code for "used to be a KPP but didn't grow enough so now he plays midfield but doesn't quite have the tank yet".
Your first point is spot on. In his U17 season he showed a lot of passion, tackling and effort but was picking up very small possession numbers for the Academy. This last season he seems to have improved but still isn’t a massive possession player.

I’ve always liked the look of the kid so I hope he makes it but I’ll stay on the fence on this selection and see how he goes. Not convinced yet that out of all the boys he was the one that warranted a selection.

Stature and physicality reminds me of Chad Warner actually. Both look like they could develop into explosive players. Not Gary Rohan kind of explosive but Sam Powell-Pepper kind of explosive, moving from contest to contest and taking bodies and the ball with them. And he appears to have the one quality that you can pin the club as loving in their draftees: competitiveness.

Love another local Sydney boy getting a shot too.

Isaac Heeney lookalike imo!

What were his parents smoking when they decided to name him Marc?

I mean I feel for his sister Cylie and his brother Lukas.

It's closer to the original Marcus I suppose?

Also there's already been multiple guys named Lukas in the AFL!

Nool, an particular reason why he wasn't on the radar in the main draft? I'm assuming there was work to still be done in parts of his game?
Sorry Ticky I have no idea.
DavyRed sums it up better than I ever could with my non-Aussie Rules background.
The revolving door nature and reluctance of listed players to use the kids helping out in the neafl hardly gives a detailed insight to their talent.
I just remember Sheather doing a very good impression of an Exocet Missile out at Blacktown one day.

It’s quite pleasing the hierarchy have taken this path tho... gives hope that some more of the academy grads might get a look in as mature aged rookies with the Eastern AFL comp.... maybe a homegrown ruck being nurtured and developed there too?

Last edited:

12 matches with 7 best on grounds in the Sydney Premier competition as a 17 year old, would suggest to me he is getting enough possessions. Definitely has some aspects of his game to improve on like all kids in the draft but his tenacity will get him there.

Looks, sounds, talks, and even plays like Heeney:

Nothing like him... he had his shirt on the whole time!!!

Sorry Ticky I have no idea.
DavyRed sums it up better than I ever could with my non-Aussie Rules background.
The revolving door nature and reluctance of listed players to use the kids helping out in the neafl hardly gives a detailed insight to their talent.
I just remember Sheather doing a very good impression of an Exocet Missile out at Blacktown one day.

It’s quite pleasing the hierarchy have taken this path tho... gives hope that some more of the academy grads might get a look in as mature aged rookies with the Eastern AFL comp.... maybe a homegrown ruck being nurtured and developed there too?

Those were the days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back