Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cartagena C.F., NYJ, A's
Mathew Walker

Games: 0
Goals: 0
Yabby medal votes: 0

Summary

Spent the season playing for Box Hill in the VFL, after being drafted by the Hawks in the 2018 national draft. Walker played 15 games for Box Hill, kicking 23 goals for the season and averaging 14 disposals per game. His best game for Box Hill came in round 15, when Walker had 15 disposals and kicked four goals against North Melbourne. Profiling as a medium-sized forward, Walker was a GWS Giants academy junior but the Giants declined to match Hawthorn's bid in the 2018 national draft. Hawthorn will expect Walker to take the next step in 2020 and press for selection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Chad and I

Team Captain
Nov 13, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Getting his body right last season.
He should get a few games this season, and I suspect he will be one of those players who takes quickly to senior level once he has the conditioning.

Collins-Langford-Ayres

Hall of Famer
Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Getting his body right last season.
He should get a few games this season, and I suspect he will be one of those players who takes quickly to senior level once he has the conditioning.
Would have thought with the fitness demand on forwards with all the leading patterns and need for defensive pressure, he may be another year away.

Mojo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2007
Beaumaris
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Would have thought with the fitness demand on forwards with all the leading patterns and need for defensive pressure, he may be another year away.
Good point. We have a lot of players who have been in the system 3-5 years now, that should have the conditioning base to start pushing for permanent senior selection. Reckon Matty Walker is probably another year away from being able to keep up.

kazzooka

Club Legend
May 20, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Good point. We have a lot of players who have been in the system 3-5 years now, that should have the conditioning base to start pushing for permanent senior selection. Reckon Matty Walker is probably another year away from being able to keep up.
He might need another year to cement a spot and be a regular best 22 player but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that he play some games in 2020 even if it's just a few so he can see what he needs to work on.

Top Bottom