Past #33: Patrick Walker - delisted end '22 - 0 NM games/goals - thanks Patty

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to North Melbourne, Patrick Walker

798419.jpg

With pick two in the 2020 Rookie Draft, North Melbourne has selected Patrick Walker.

Walker joins the club from North Hobart, where earned AFL Academy recognition after an eye-catching bottom-age campaign, where he played 16 games in Tasmania’s inaugural full-time NAB League season.

Able to play at half-back or on the wing, Walker is a strong kick and decision maker.

“Patrick has had some exposure to open-age football with North Hobart in 2020,” National Recruiting Manager, Mark Finnigan said.

“He is a skilful half back/wing type who can carry the ball and penetrate the game with his foot skills.

“We feel he has a lot of future development potential.”

Last edited:
MR SMOOTH

Patrick Walker will have some fans as a 186cm rebounding defender who rarely fumbles.

"He's a pretty smooth mover, very classy," North Hobart coach Richard Robinson said of Walker.

"I like his ball use and his courage last year went to another level."

Walker reads the ball well in the air and has no issue backing into oncoming traffic to fly for intercept marks.

The defender was one of the youngest players to debut for North Hobart at age 15.

Last edited:

THEY’RE Devils disguised as Demons, and that makes teenage tyros Patrick Walker and Sam Collins two of Tasmania’s most enticing prospects for recruiters in the 2020 AFL Draft tonight, or the AFL Rookie Draft tomorrow.

The talented twosome was supposed to play for the Tasmania Devils in the NAB League for the nation’s most outstanding under-18s this year.

Instead, they displayed their wares playing for the North Hobart Demons in the Tasmanian State League against hardened campaigners and former AFL and VFL players.

North Hobart young guns Sam Collins, 18, and Patrick Walker, 18, are among the Tasmanian teenagers hoping to get selected in this years AFL Draft. Picture: RICHARD JUPE
North Hobart young guns Sam Collins, 18, and Patrick Walker, 18, are among the Tasmanian teenagers hoping to get selected in this years AFL Draft. Picture: RICHARD JUPE

It puts Walker and Collins, both 18, of Hobart, at somewhat of an advantage against some interstate draft rivals, many of whom have not been able to kick a ball in anger in the Covid-19 pandemic year.

Collins, a close-checking, dashing defender, would have caught the eye of recruiters, given his outstanding debut as a 16-year-old in the NAB League last year.

Likewise, Walker’s NAB League career started side-by-side with Collins in the Devils’ backline as they debuted in the Victorian-based competition with a courageous win over the Calder Cannons at Penguin.

Since then, Walker established himself as a mid-sized all-rounder with polished skills. He can play back, forward or in the middle.

Walker prefers running through the midfield or out of defense.

“I like having more freedom to run and use my endurance, my skills and decision-making,” he said.

North Hobart young guns Patrick Walker, 18 and Sam Collins, 18 are among the Tasmanian teenagers hoping to get selected in this years AFL Draft. Picture: RICHARD JUPE

North Hobart young guns Patrick Walker, 18 and Sam Collins, 18 are among the Tasmanian teenagers hoping to get selected in this years AFL Draft. Picture: RICHARD JUPE

“It was good being able to play this year when a lot of others couldn’t, especially in terms of the physical side of the game.

“You get a lot of that playing Tassie State League footy rather than NAB League, because it is a lot more physical.

“The main thing I got out of playing TSL was being able to work on my inside game up against bigger bodies, because that’s something I needed to work on.”

The main AFL Draft is at 7pm on Wednesday night, and the AFL Rookie Draft is at 10am on Thursday _ both opportunities for Walker, Collins, and Clarence onballer Oliver Davis and North Launceston key forward Jackson Callow to get picked up by one of the 18 clubs.

“It has been a life-long dream to get drafted, and all the hard work would have paid off it that were to happen,” Walker said.

https://www.themercury.com.au/sport...t/news-story/021421df1ed2d08ad15691445ac2af9f

template

021421df1ed2d08ad15691445ac2af9f
021421df1ed2d08ad15691445ac2af9f

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Would've thought any of the other 3 Taswegians (Callow, Davis or Collins) would've suited us a little bit better, but nonetheless welcome to Pat Walker.

Adds to our outside class. Will need to up his contested and tackling game if he wants to take his game to the next level.

Would've thought any of the other 3 Taswegians (Callow, Davis or Collins) would've suited us a little bit better, but nonetheless welcome to Pat Walker.

Adds to our outside class. Will need to up his contested and tackling game if he wants to take his game to the next level.

Cannot help but wonder if we invite Callow to train with us

Yeah the other tassie boys seemed more highly credentialed and would have thought callow fit a need too and Collins to a lesser extent

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
Hope all 3 come over and do the summer with us. I'd be calling Kaine Baldwin now too.

There are some options left on the table for the pre season supplementary period now.

We only have one list spot free now.
Would rather we keep it for mid season after they’ve played some footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back