Past #33: Patrick Walker - delisted end '22 - 0 NM games/goals - thanks Patty

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Really? Walker's a first-year rookie who went really close to making his AFL debut and who was selected for praise a fair bit by members of the coaching staff.

McGuiness, sure, but he's a Cat B rookie isn't he? We don't lose much by giving him another year.

McGuinness is a very good player if he can put on the required muscle.

Obviously neither of these guys are hacks, they've made it on to AFL lists.

But there's a Telephone Book sized list of guys who have worked their way in and out of the emergencies without debuting then left the AFL system completely. I thought this might be the case for Walker.

As for McGuinness - he has some interesting attributes but his development looks lagging 2 years into the system and he's never had continuity with his body or performance to mount a serious case for promotion.

If I'd been forced to choose the next 2 delistees they would've been near the top of the list, not that I hoped for or wanted it to happen.

AnEmptyChair

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne

But there's a Telephone Book sized list of guys who have worked their way in and out of the emergencies without debuting then left the AFL system completely. I thought this might be the case for Walker.

As for McGuinness - he has some interesting attributes but his development looks lagging 2 years into the system and he's never had continuity with his body or performance to mount a serious case for promotion.

If I'd been forced to choose the next 2 delistees they would've been near the top of the list, not that I hoped for or wanted it to happen.
Fair enough. I honestly don't think Walker could have done much more. He's actually further ahead than I thought he would be.

I also think there's something in the fact that the majority of prospective draftees this year just haven't had the exposure, so later picks, including rookies, are even more of a crap shoot than they have been in the past. It probably doesn't make sense to cut a rookie who you've at least seen first hand and believe is close to playing AFL-level footy to draft someone who's played, at most, 10 under 18 games in the last 2 years.

hellas_johnny

Premiership Player
May 26, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Melbourne Hellas
Walker had a good season and deserved a debut, for me if it were between him and hayden walkers season way not deserved of another contract. He especially did well considering the state of the vfl team at times and the fact that they didn't play too many games. He's a perfect replacement for Dumont also

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What position is going to give Patrick his way into the senior team?

And who is he going to dislodge to get in?

To be honest, no position at the moment.

While he is a very good athlete it hasn't translated to VFL form yet at this stage.

Watched his game on the weekend he needs to start using his endurance and repeat efforts to get involved more.

He takes the odd mark around the ground, but doesn't get involved all that often with run and carry.

The fact is neither of them have had a good run of games in the VFL to really show their stuff. Because the VFL hasn't really had a proper season this decade. So we need to see how they go with a block of 10 VFL games behind them. The little bits we've seen of them in those limited VFL games haven't looked bad tho.

We have McGuiness, PWalker, Hayden, Perez, Bonar, Lmac, Hall, Jack, Goater, Bergman and possibly could include Arch, ATU and Turner in there too but they fit the lockdown mold more tho ATu can attack thru traffic. Even Corr in that he can play that intercepting/run off roll. Plus we've run Bailey Scott thru HBF as well. If we can't find four or five quality long term (5 years) attacking backmen out of that group (Jack and Hall will obviously go soon as well,) plus this year's drafts then we may as well shut up shop.

The fact is neither of them have had a good run of games in the VFL to really show their stuff. Because the VFL hasn't really had a proper season this decade. So we need to see how they go with a block of 10 VFL games behind them. The little bits we've seen of them in those limited VFL games haven't looked bad tho.

We have McGuiness, PWalker, Hayden, Perez, Bonar, Lmac, Hall, Jack, Goater, Bergman and possibly could include Arch, ATU and Turner in there too but they fit the lockdown mold more tho ATu can attack thru traffic. Even Corr in that he can play that intercepting/run off roll. Plus we've run Bailey Scott thru HBF as well. If we can't find four or five quality long term (5 years) attacking backmen out of that group (Jack and Hall will obviously go soon as well,) plus this year's drafts then we may as well shut up shop.
I saw enough on Sunday to comfortably state that Perez, Bergman and Goater will be just fine if they have clean runs at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

While he is a very good athlete it hasn't translated to VFL form yet at this stage.

Watched his game on the weekend he needs to start using his endurance and repeat efforts to get involved more.

He takes the odd mark around the ground, but doesn't get involved all that often with run and carry.

Thanks that was my suspicion. Kind of caught in Max Warren territory.

The coaches usually find a way to get their favourite projects in for a couple of games which hasn't happened for him yet.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne

The coaches usually find a way to get their favourite projects in for a couple of games which hasn't happened for him yet.
Hope he can start to build some form, because he is the right size and shape to be an Isaac Smith style running wingman. Probably doens't have the top end speed of Smith though.

Just doesn’t get involved enough and some of his contested stuff needs work. He does well when he does get involved, but often seems lost.

Hope he can start to build some form, because he is the right size and shape to be an Isaac Smith style running wingman. Probably doens't have the top end speed of Smith though.
Agreed on speed. Quick and big, but not quite as quick as your Smith/Langdon types.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Just doesn’t get involved enough and some of his contested stuff needs work. He does well when he does get involved, but often seems lost.

Someone is going to have to give way on the list.

No shame in that if it's Patrick. He potentially fills a need (rebounding HB) and it would need to be off the back of very good vision and disposal based on what people are saying here. Rather than power/pace/intercepting ability.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I never like to pile in our players - I hope they all have great careers - but it's also okay to be objective as well - these comments from roos_fanatic08 are fair, and were equally applicable last year when I saw Patrick play on multiple occasions, during which I never saw him have any impact on a game. In other words, there would appear to be limited progress occurring, which doesn't augur well

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I never like to pile in our players - I hope they all have great careers - but it's also okay to be objective as well - these comments from roos_fanatic08 are fair, and were equally applicable last year when I saw Patrick play on multiple occasions, during which I never saw him have any impact on a game. In other words, there would appear to be limited progress occurring, which doesn't all go well
Fify. Get your expressions right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back