Autopsy 33 point loss v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

The point being made wasn't that Natanui did anything 'wrong' under the laws of the game, it was did he mean to do it.

The big CHF who crashes packs to put a bit of hurt in to anyone daring to back into a pack is as old as the game itself. That's why we applaud the bravery of defenders backing back because we know the risks and that if given an opportunity, a forward will run straight through you with a knee. Same goes for forwards going back and defenders going over the top to spoil.

Natanui saw Sandilands coming and jumped straight in to him with a hard locked knee, knowing it would hurt him. Reportable? no. It's part of the game. Did he mean to puncture his lung? I doubt it, but it would be naive to suggest that when you run full bolt with your knee raised and locked in you're purely looking to defend yourself.

I'm not complaining about the Sandi injury but it has struck me over the last few years that it's one of the great anomalies in our game that a player just has to place an open hand on the back of an opponent (not even push them) in a marking contest and he'll be penalised. But, you can ran full pelt from 20m away and absolutely smash a player sitting under the fall of the ball (or backing back into it) into next week and it's fine.

I'm not complaining about the Sandi injury but it has struck me over the last few years that it's one of the great anomalies in our game that a player just has to place an open hand on the back of an opponent (not even push them) in a marking contest and he'll be penalised. But, you can ran full pelt from 20m away and absolutely smash a player sitting under the fall of the ball (or backing back into it) into next week and it's fine.
Without it we would lose one of the key parts of the game that sets it apart from other sports, the specky is something that sells the game to people when they see it, sure people loved the hard hits but that can be seen in other sports, when you show someone a highlights reel of footy for the first time i guarantee there will be a specky in it.

Without it we would lose one of the key parts of the game that sets it apart from other sports, the specky is something that sells the game to people when they see it, sure people loved the hard hits but that can be seen in other sports, when you show someone a highlights reel of footy for the first time i guarantee there will be a specky in it.

For sure, the specky is fantastic but generally has the marking player getting up vertically and resting on the back, neck or shoulders of the player in front. I was more referring to when the player from behind doesn't get much off the ground but ploughs into the player in front catapulting him forward. Usually seen when the player from behind is attempting to spoil.

Last edited:
but it would be naive to suggest that when you run full bolt with your knee raised and locked in you're purely looking to defend yoursel
It's the old 'offense is the best form of defence!'
Again why backing back into a pack is acknowledged as such courageous thing to do;you know the knees might be coming.:eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back