Autopsy 33 point loss v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Every player in a pack does and has done it since speckies came about, it was an unfortunate incident and we should just move on from it, unlucky to Sandi but thats footy.

Every player was also allowed to bump and if the head was contacted to bad, unlucky but play on. The laws on bumping has changed due to duty of care. Lifting of knee's also comes into the realms of duty of care.

Last edited:
So you want to ban pack marks because someone got injured. Listen to yourself.

Why don't you read a post properly. I didn't say I wanted it banned. Bumping that was part of the game is now gone. Duty of care is now an important part of sport. Life threatening injuries surely comes under a duty of care.

Why don't you read a post properly. I didn't say I wanted it banned. Bumping that was part of the game is now gone. Duty of care is now an important part of sport. Life threatening injuries surely comes under a duty of care.
If it is a regular occurrence in the AFL then maybe it needs to be looked at to prevent injuries... however it is part of the game now... I think Sandi had courage to do what he did and NicNat took a great mark.

If it is a regular occurrence in the AFL then maybe it needs to be looked at to prevent injuries... however it is part of the game now... I think Sandi had courage to do what he did and NicNat took a great mark.

Players have lost kidneys because of the knee in the back. Sliding in with knees is now banned.
The same arguments where put forward when the bump was banned.

Every player was also allowed to bump and if the head was contacted to bad, unlucky but play on. The laws on bumping has changed due to duty of care. Lifting of knee's also comes into the realms of duty of care.
I'm not 100% sure what you are getting at but lets say that the AFL outrules kneeing in the head in a marking contest next week and Naitinui hit someone at wellers height, he would still get off from the incident as Weller would have backed into the pack and there was no possible way for Naitinui to avoid it without pulling out of the marking contest, even if the rules had changed I doubt we would see a different outcome.

*Weller is substituted for Sandilands to bring in the head high equation - pretend its the exact same incident from this week*

I think it should be looked at more like Sam Mitchell's kneeing. As an isolated incident, Natanui is in a marking contest and is reasonable to have some contact (legal based on current rules). However,if it occurs too many times it's time for him to review his technique or risk suspension.

Edit: In a separate rucking contest after the incident with Sandi, Nic Nat put a knee in Pearce during the ruck contest. He may have a tendency to do that and may need to review his technique.

I'm not 100% sure what you are getting at but lets say that the AFL outrules kneeing in the head in a marking contest next week and Naitinui hit someone at wellers height, he would still get off from the incident as Weller would have backed into the pack and there was no possible way for Naitinui to avoid it without pulling out of the marking contest, even if the rules had changed I doubt we would see a different outcome.

*Weller is substituted for Sandilands to bring in the head high equation - pretend its the exact same incident from this week*

If he hit Weller in the back of the head with his knee you would hate to think of the outcome. No need to pull out of the marking contest,just don't raise the knee. I'm not saying the knee should be banned but playing Devil's advocate. There has been a lot of rule changes due to the possibility of serious injury and a duty of care.

you can't jump without raising your knee. You are basically asking to outlaw jumping.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes you can ,its keeping the knee up after launching thats the problem.

You do realize under your own definitions, these would be also be illegal

You start to ban players from using their knees to get a ride in marking contests and you kill the speccy

Last edited:
^^^

Yeah but the difference is their knees landed on the opponents' shoulders, not in the middle of their backs.

Having said that, NicNat did little wrong as far as I can see. An umpire gets enough wrong as it is, without giving him another thing to screw up "Free kick XXX Opposition didn't get high enough in taking the mark". Too much splitting hairs, you either have to outlaw the speccy altogether, or accept that sometimes people will get hurt.

I doubt anyone wants to outlaw the speccy....

You do realize under your own definitions, these would be also be illegal

You start to ban players from using their knees to get a ride in marking contests and you kill the speccy

Yep. I'm not saying it should happen but these same arguments were trotted out re changing the bump to not allowing accidental contact to the head . The bump is dead. The game is ruined . Duty of care has changed the world of sport

^^^

Yeah but the difference is their knees landed on the opponents' shoulders, not in the middle of their backs.

Having said that, NicNat did little wrong as far as I can see. An umpire gets enough wrong as it is, without giving him another thing to screw up "Free kick XXX Opposition didn't get high enough in taking the mark". Too much splitting hairs, you either have to outlaw the speccy altogether, or accept that sometimes people will get hurt.

I doubt anyone wants to outlaw the speccy....

It could be umpired the same as the bump. If you choose to bump be it on the players head to get it right. Knee contact could be adjudicated the same way. I'm not pushing it ,just being Devils advocate.

I think it should be looked at more like Sam Mitchell's kneeing. As an isolated incident, Natanui is in a marking contest and is reasonable to have some contact (legal based on current rules). However,if it occurs too many times it's time for him to review his technique or risk suspension.

Edit: In a separate rucking contest after the incident with Sandi, Nic Nat put a knee in Pearce during the ruck contest. He may have a tendency to do that and may need to review his technique.

That about sums it up. If any player is using his knee in a manner that causes injury to other players he needs to be told there may be a problem with his technique and he needs to remove it from his game. My opinion is NN had options other than using his knee as Sandy was disadvantaged enough by being caught out of position and NN had the sit on him by having momentum toward the ball.

I am not suggesting NN did this with the intent of injuring Sandi but the result was that Sandi has suffered a major injury. Other players have had more severe injuries including the loss of a kidney as others have mentioned here. It's reasonable to expect players to be advised to avoid the kidney area with their knees in particular.

The AFL got the message to Sniper Mitchell after he maimed a couple of players by kneeing them in the thigh. What he did wasn't exactly illegal but he was told to put a stop to it and has in spite of him protesting it was just the normal type of thing most players do in that situation. Players can be educated about the welfare of others at little or no loss of their own ability to play the game but for the good of all.

My opinion is NN had options other than using his knee as Sandy was disadvantaged enough by being caught out of position and NN had the sit on him by having momentum toward the ball.

What are these other options he could have taken that did not involve not contesting the ball or giving away a free kick?

I hate Naitanui as much as the next person but to say it was anything other than a freak accident is a joke.

Nothing Nic Nat could do. Still doesn't make me any less happy about the whole event, but it's ludicrous to say he could have done pretty much anything else in that situation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back