Autopsy 33 point loss v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe the knee struck Sandi towards his side and high up on the ribs (rather than directly in the back). Just an awful place to have contact and it really did maximum damage - but no intent on Nic Nats part but I did hate his giggle when he was questioned about it.

They are starting to strut too much up the road, possibly it is the time for a new demolition Derby when our home game?

It is legal but if that had have been a smaller man, Sheridan,Weller or even one of their players the consequence could have been catastrophic. A knee,ankle injury is not life threatening but a rib piercing a lung is. .There is supposed to be a duty of care in the game. Head contact of any kind is now banned. A rule change of lifting the knee might be in order.

Get a grip man .....
FFS

Mods - can you clear the dribble pouring out of this thread.
Salim and Fred - let it go or start a fecking netball thread you pansies.

Dribble it may be but they're still entitled to their opinions. I would like to know how one can jump without lifting their knee though...

Dribble it may be but they're still entitled to their opinions. I would like to know how one can jump without lifting their knee though...

You can't but you can keep it down after you've launched. Isn't the knee raised an infringement in the ruck contest? Don't the rucks jump at the centre bounce?
There seems to be a mis understanding re my posts. I'm not saying it should be banned just that under these duty of care rulings if serious injuries kept occurring it could be looked at just like the accidental knock to the head. I remember the outrage when that was introduced, the call of its turning into netball etc.

I've already explained that.
For a start and most importantly you don't crash straight into the player in front with your knee and leg bent ridgid. You cannot get any elevation that way.
The player has to make contact with their shinbone or the area between their ankle and knee.
Watch the replay. NN crashes straight into him with the point of his knee. He could not possibly have got any extra elevation that way.
Like I said, it was at best, extremely crude and dangerous. Someone was always going to get hurt.

So I guess my argument is that the practice of putting studded boots straight into a players back for the big ride is no longer a part of the game, for obvious reasons and the reckless tactic used by NN hopefully goes the same way.
It was stopped by players because of safety concerns and so should the knee straight into the back.
That does not mean an end to using the knee for elevation as explained above.

Last edited:
Ballet dancers can jump by springing off their feet. :straining:

You don't get it do you. Thats the argument put forward when the bump and accidental head clash was introduced. Turning the game into ballet, netball etc. The duty of care rules puts the emphasis on the player to correctly bump . If serious injury keeps happening with knees into the kidneys,ribs they might look at it.
Emphasis on might look at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are these other options he could have taken that did not involve not contesting the ball or giving away a free kick?

I hate Naitanui as much as the next person but to say it was anything other than a freak accident is a joke.

NN had the sit on Sandy, behind and slightly to the side, his knee got Sandy under the arm so NN got no leverage to get higher. Sandy was moving backwards and NN could legitimately go for that mark and use his body and momentum to fly towards the ball and mark it without giving a free kick away There would have still been a collision body on body rather than knee on body.

I have not suggested NN did this to hurt another player and I do not hate NN.

Ballet dancers can jump by springing off their feet. :straining:
As the resident ballet dancer... they can't jump super high by springing off their feet. There's not enough flex in footy boots to do it anyways, and have you seen how messed up a ballerinas feet are??? All the high high leaps are created either with a lot of momentum &/or leading with a leg/knee.

There's a difference between a pointed knee and a bent knee, one involves hip flexion and the other doesn't ;)

Dribble seems to be your forte.

Strange - seeming as I'm one of the few speaking sense on this subject.
salim malik Reading your posts makes me think neither you or Fred have ever played the game - well, if you did it appears as though you may never have tried to run and jump at more than a brisk walk.
In all seriousness, have either of you tried to run at pace and jump in the air ? can you leap off both feet simultaneously keeping your legs straight and knees down ? well you must wear a red cape with your jocks outside your pants because superman is the only f*cker I've ever seen do it with any level of success. Every other person I've seen attempt it has gone arse up. You know why that is ? because it's not fecken possible....
The marking contest you refer to has NN running full tilt one way and Sandi backing back at speed the other way. Nic nat has every right to put his knee up and not only protect himself in the air - but probably more critical to the whole matter, balance himself ( I refer you to paragraph 1 your honor). These guys have so much data being computed in their brain when entering a contest that instinct prevails. They'll have opponents hanging off them, jostling them for position, hitting them from all angles in marking contests all the while trying to read the flight.... and you want to put the onus on the player who has every right to run and jump at the mark not to hurt anyone along the way ??? hmmmmmmmm
If we extrapolate this genius line of thinking let's fast forward 3 years. No longer do we have selwood and Shuey the 'duckers' we have a new breed of f*ckwit rule benders - the 'pack backer' . Each team has a nominated numpty that runs around backwards on the field getting in the way of marking contests and drawing free kicks because said numpty got a (IMO deserved) knee in the back....brilliant idea - I'll call the rules committee tomorrow and improve this great game of ours for the betterment of all the numpty hacks out there.
I'm not finished there but......
You quote "isn't the knee raised an infringement in the ruck contest" Are you for real ? did you also hear the one about not being allowed to bend your elbow when you handball ? seriously, another brilliant insight into the ruck and contested marking part of our game - one which you so vehemently advocate rule changes for.
Annnnnndddddd
The ole' duty of care. Every day I deal with DOC, negligence, contract law. And every day I see society want to blame others for their own actions (or lack of) more and more. It's a sad state of affairs when enterprise is so stifled by the threat of this action that sometimes great innovation never advances because of perceived threat. You want the AFL to impose rulings to protect players getting hurt in this manner - did you ever think that as soon as the rule is made, teams and players will attempt to eek out every opportunity to gain advantage from it ? (I refer to the ''pack backer' your honor), or worse still that it will limit the 'screamer' that we've all grown up loving at half time and recess breaks around Oz.... yep, great idea.
Onto Fred now...
Fred Ziffel mentioned that you "don't crash straight into the player with your knee and leg bent rigid..." so Fred, NN who is arguably recognized as one of THE most athletic players seen in our game - he must be doing it wrong yeh ? Maybe you should get down to Eagles training and impart your wisdom for all. I'm sure it will be well received.
FWIW Fred you're not always looking to 'elevate' when you seek contact with your knee, you're mostly seeking separation from the player - pushing him out of the marking contest to your own advantage. Getting elevation is a bonus and only becomes possible to us mere mortals if you time it perfectly when the opponent is in the downward phase of trying to jump.
I've never gone 'here' before, and I don't take things too seriously on this forum but you guys just came across like whinging little nancy's so I felt compelled to weigh in with my 2 bobs.
Rant over... I trust this has sufficiently quelled the idiocy on this subject :rolleyes:

Hi, thought I'd post this...
324026-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

I'll see myself out...

Strange - seeming as I'm one of the few speaking sense on this subject.
salim malik Reading your posts makes me think neither you or Fred have ever played the game - well, if you did it appears as though you may never have tried to run and jump at more than a brisk walk.
In all seriousness, have either of you tried to run at pace and jump in the air ? can you leap off both feet simultaneously keeping your legs straight and knees down ? well you must wear a red cape with your jocks outside your pants because superman is the only f*cker I've ever seen do it with any level of success. Every other person I've seen attempt it has gone arse up. You know why that is ? because it's not fecken possible....
The marking contest you refer to has NN running full tilt one way and Sandi backing back at speed the other way. Nic nat has every right to put his knee up and not only protect himself in the air - but probably more critical to the whole matter, balance himself ( I refer you to paragraph 1 your honor). These guys have so much data being computed in their brain when entering a contest that instinct prevails. They'll have opponents hanging off them, jostling them for position, hitting them from all angles in marking contests all the while trying to read the flight.... and you want to put the onus on the player who has every right to run and jump at the mark not to hurt anyone along the way ??? hmmmmmmmm
If we extrapolate this genius line of thinking let's fast forward 3 years. No longer do we have selwood and Shuey the 'duckers' we have a new breed of f*ckwit rule benders - the 'pack backer' . Each team has a nominated numpty that runs around backwards on the field getting in the way of marking contests and drawing free kicks because said numpty got a (IMO deserved) knee in the back....brilliant idea - I'll call the rules committee tomorrow and improve this great game of ours for the betterment of all the numpty hacks out there.
I'm not finished there but......
You quote "isn't the knee raised an infringement in the ruck contest" Are you for real ? did you also hear the one about not being allowed to bend your elbow when you handball ? seriously, another brilliant insight into the ruck and contested marking part of our game - one which you so vehemently advocate rule changes for.
Annnnnndddddd
The ole' duty of care. Every day I deal with DOC, negligence, contract law. And every day I see society want to blame others for their own actions (or lack of) more and more. It's a sad state of affairs when enterprise is so stifled by the threat of this action that sometimes great innovation never advances because of perceived threat. You want the AFL to impose rulings to protect players getting hurt in this manner - did you ever think that as soon as the rule is made, teams and players will attempt to eek out every opportunity to gain advantage from it ? (I refer to the ''pack backer' your honor), or worse still that it will limit the 'screamer' that we've all grown up loving at half time and recess breaks around Oz.... yep, great idea.
Onto Fred now...
Fred Ziffel mentioned that you "don't crash straight into the player with your knee and leg bent rigid..." so Fred, NN who is arguably recognized as one of THE most athletic players seen in our game - he must be doing it wrong yeh ? Maybe you should get down to Eagles training and impart your wisdom for all. I'm sure it will be well received.
FWIW Fred you're not always looking to 'elevate' when you seek contact with your knee, you're mostly seeking separation from the player - pushing him out of the marking contest to your own advantage. Getting elevation is a bonus and only becomes possible to us mere mortals if you time it perfectly when the opponent is in the downward phase of trying to jump.
I've never gone 'here' before, and I don't take things too seriously on this forum but you guys just came across like whinging little nancy's so I felt compelled to weigh in with my 2 bobs.
Rant over... I trust this has sufficiently quelled the idiocy on this subject :rolleyes:

I played football when the elbow to the head was deemed part of the game,the whack behind play, the king hit was used to slow down the best player, the charge and bump after the ball was disposed of, the sling tackle was the perfect tackle ,the drop kick, the torpedo punt, one central umpire, 2 boundary umps, the goal umps wore white coats, video was in science fiction novels. All these things have changed for various reasons. The point I was trying to make is that duty of care is now an important part of the game and if serious injury's continue to happen the raised knee in a pack marking situation might be looked at.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back