Past Ryley Stoddart - delisted 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

QePIovlP.jpg

Ryley Stoddart

Player Profile
Young Sydney Swans defender Ryley Stoddart played four senior games over his first two seasons at the club and has a burning hunger to become an AFL regular in 2020. The 2019 NEAFL Team of the Year member is lightning-quick and loves breaking the lines with his run and carry out of defence. Stoddart is among a host of emerging Sydney backmen, including Lewis Melican, Colin O’Riordan, Jack Maibaum and Will Gould.

Ryley Stoddart

DOB: 15 October 1999
DEBUT: 2018
DRAFT: 2017
RECRUITED FROM: Blackburn (Vic)/Eastern U18

Last edited:
Mills might stay defence all year now I think. It miht be a third tall that sends Mills to the mids, rather than a rebounder.

The exciting thing is that as good as Stoddart is, Ling is right up there with him and we have Newman unable to make the 22 at present. Will be very strong competition for a spot down back.

Doubt Mills will move this season, next year is a different story though.

Was going to reply and say the same sentiment. No major changes unless injuries.

I have no doubt Ryley will get a game or two towards the back end of the season, same with Ling. However in reality unless the side gets in a position to rest players, you'd assume we'd play our best side. This next block is crucial we can get our side into the top 4 off these next 4 games.

Rush Ryley in? Or rush Gaz out?

Honestly after 100 games I've lost my patience with Gaz.

Look Rohan isn't my favourite, but in a year where we should be contending I'd probably rather the guy with 100+ games going into finals. Ryley will play games, but look for him in 2019.

Would Ryley have taken that mark against Hawthorn which effectively won us the game?

I don't disagree that gaz has the ability to do something brilliant, but those moments of brilliance are few and far between and honestly a mark like that is something we see regularly by guys like Heeney and Parker and even Hayward and Ronke have shown in a short period of time they can do those things aswell. I just don't think we should be carrying him through every game hoping for more of it. Its not going to happen regularly.

I'm also not saying that it absolutely must be Ryley that replaces Gaz in the team but why not. I don't see any down side to swapping one for the other at this stage.

Rush Ryley in? Or rush Gaz out?

Honestly after 100 games I've lost my patience with Gaz.
He's a decent enough player to have as one of your bottom few contributors in the seniors. Not against him being dropped if someone is knocking down the door though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't disagree that gaz has the ability to do something brilliant, but those moments of brilliance are few and far between and honestly a mark like that is something we see regularly by guys like Heeney and Parker and even Hayward and Ronke have shown in a short period of time they can do those things aswell. I just don't think we should be carrying him through every game hoping for more of it. Its not going to happen regularly.

I'm also not saying that it absolutely must be Ryley that replaces Gaz in the team but why not. I don't see any down side to swapping one for the other at this stage.

You shouldn't look at it as carrying him just think of Rohan as a bottom 6 player, in my opinion he is quite a handy bottom 6 player to have in your team.

I beg to differ... None of those you have mentioned have done anything like that in my memory. He saw the flight of the ball, put his head down and sprinted to where it was going to land, looked up and found the ball in the air and took the mark while protecting against spoils, and then hit Ronke up in the square perfectly. Perhaps my memory is faulty and you can find three or four quick examples for these other players. Feel free to do so, I won't be offended...

Is Stoddart a pressure forward? If not, I'd say there's a glaring reason..

Gazza averages around 3 tackles a game. Sure Rose in the 2s averages 1 or 2 tackles and he is not considered a two way runner .. but just the 3 tackles, 5 goals in 9 games, minimal score assists. Which way does GR run?

Do we really rate the Oppo defenders as having such vivid out of control imaginations that they think GR is going to swoop on them from the clouds and lay an iron clad tackle at the drop of a hat. Complete tosh.

Gazza averages around 3 tackles a game. Sure Rose in the 2s averages 1 or 2 tackles and he is not considered a two way runner .. but just the 3 tackles, 5 goals in 9 games, minimal score assists. Which way does GR run?

Do we really rate the Oppo defenders as having such vivid out of control imaginations that they think GR is going to swoop on them from the clouds and lay an iron clad tackle at the drop of a hat. Complete tosh.

I didn’t read where bungwahl mentioned anything about tackles whatsoever but I did read where he mentioned ‘pressure forward’ which encapsulates far more than tackling. Time to stick the word ‘tosh’ up your ‘toosh’ B52;)

He's a decent enough player to have as one of your bottom few contributors in the seniors. Not against him being dropped if someone is knocking down the door though
Im not advocating dropping him but I'd be shocked and disappointed if there weren't at least 10 players picked ahead of him every week.

I beg to differ... None of those you have mentioned have done anything like that in my memory. He saw the flight of the ball, put his head down and sprinted to where it was going to land, looked up and found the ball in the air and took the mark while protecting against spoils, and then hit Ronke up in the square perfectly. Perhaps my memory is faulty and you can find three or four quick examples for these other players. Feel free to do so, I won't be offended...

We will have to disagree on this one then and that's fine. My opinion is he doesn't bring anything to the team that we can't find in other players and imo the players I mentioned all have the capabilities to do what Ronan did and they all contribute far more throughout the majority of the game than Garry does.

Garry brings pressure to the forward line, but so do all the guys I mentioned. He brings speed to the forward line but so does Ronke and Hayward. He brings the occasional x-factor but so do all the guys I mentioned. We just don't lose anything by having him out of the team.

Rohan averages 3.3 tackles per game, beaten only by the likes of JPK, Parker, Heeney and Jack. Rohan is a forward flanker..

Richmond are lauded for their intense forward pressure from guys like Castagna, Butler, Townsend etc. Rohan averages more tackles than all of them. And that's only one very simplistic stat. If we had detailed stats on F50 pressure acts I suspect that'd be a favourable stat too.

He's the fastest player we have, he clearly pressures opposition ball carriers, and the coaches seem happy with his role each week.

As fans we have this sick obsession with stats, particularly possession stats. Rohan is not an accumulator and will never be. He's a pressure forward and impact player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back