Past Ryley Stoddart - delisted 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

QePIovlP.jpg

Ryley Stoddart

Player Profile
Young Sydney Swans defender Ryley Stoddart played four senior games over his first two seasons at the club and has a burning hunger to become an AFL regular in 2020. The 2019 NEAFL Team of the Year member is lightning-quick and loves breaking the lines with his run and carry out of defence. Stoddart is among a host of emerging Sydney backmen, including Lewis Melican, Colin O’Riordan, Jack Maibaum and Will Gould.

Ryley Stoddart

DOB: 15 October 1999
DEBUT: 2018
DRAFT: 2017
RECRUITED FROM: Blackburn (Vic)/Eastern U18

Last edited:

PLAYER BIO
Former club: Eastern Ranges
Height: 183cm
Weight: 74kg
Position: Defender
2017 U18 STATS
Games: 4
Goals: -
Avg Kicks: 4.5
Avg Marks: 1.5
Avg Hballs: 7.5

A poised medium defender with good pace and step through traffic and a neat user of the ball on his preferred left foot. Played all four games for Vic Metro in the NAB AFL U18 Championships and has been impressive for the Ranges this year. His running vertical jump of 98cm at the Draft Combine was outstanding and ranked No.2 overall.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
20171124_stoddart_p.png

Ryley Stoddart

Club: Eastern Ranges
Height: 183cm
Weight: 74kg
Position: Defender

A poised medium defender with good pace and step through traffic and a neat user of the ball on his preferred left foot. Sotddart played all four games for Vic Metro in the NAB AFL U18 Championships and has been impressive for the Ranges this year. His running vertical jump of 98cm at the Draft Combine was outstanding and ranked No.2 overall.

Read all about them

"Ryley has jumped out of the box this year. A left-foot rebounding half-back who is athletically through the roof, he’s naturally suited to today’s game given he can run, intercept mark and impact the game if needed up forward by taking a mark. Gone from being off the grid to being on everyone’s radar this year and I’m positive he’ll find a place."
– Eastern Ranges coach Darren Bewick

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2017-11-24/pick-53-ryley-stoddart

Despite his parents very questionable decision on the spelling of his first name I have watched his highlights and I like the look of him a lot. He seems to be quite attacking and a smart user of the ball.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
I like the look of Stoddsy/Ryls.

He's my pick for most games from this years list based on absolutely nothing more than a few highlight clips and the fact I like his name.
We’ve done alright with left foot defenders.
Welcome young Ryley.
My name is Ticky and I will be your lone supporter while the rest of the board drool over the mids and Johnny come lately forwards.
Sometime into your career they will all suddenly realise where the real skill lies and express amazement at your existence. I on the other hand will stay true

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
From Cal Twomey a few weeks ago. He ranked Stoddart at the 30th best in the draft

POS: Half-back, Ht 183cm, Wt 73kg, DOB 15/10/99
From Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro
October ranking: None

Stoddart is a medium defender who can provide excellent offensive run. He likes to carry the ball, step through or past a couple of opponents, and then size things up on his handy left foot. He isn't a huge ball-winner, but he doesn't waste too much touches and he's also athletically strong. At the Draft Combine he came third overall in the running vertical jump test (96cm).

Where does he go? West Coast has been linked to Stoddart, who would add some verve to their back half. The Giants have also shown interest.

6yearsold

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal Palace
not as good a kick as malceski but marginally quicker

not as good a kick as malceski but marginally quicker

I used to harp on to my friends about Malceski. They all thought I was crazy when I would say he was faultless at his best. Then he left and we felt his absence and they came at me with the “your mob is s**t without Malceski!” crap.

Long live Mal.

I like the look of this kid. Seems poised from the highlight reels. Good luck to him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
Love a roughy.

Seems a solid use of a late pick. And if he's a good intercept/rebound defender he'll be very handy.

Good luck Ryley.

I used to harp on to my friends about Malceski. They all thought I was crazy when I would say he was faultless at his best. Then he left and we felt his absence and they came at me with the “your mob is s**t without Malceski!” crap.

Long live Mal.

Mal was always a big favourite of mine too.
I think with his story and his personality he would have been a fan favourite anyway, the fact that he fulfilled all his promise after all his knee issues just and added to it.

big_bazza

Club Legend
Dec 5, 2005
Tas
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
sydney swans
looks a very likely type, after watching some of his highlights he reminds me of a Jayden Hunt mixed with a Grant birchall type but with superior intercept marking skills. Maybe someone who has seen more of him can expand on this. Either way im rapt with him at this pick, exactly the type of player we need.

Opts

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
His family looked pretty happy, though Stoddart himself just looked stunned

Hopefully he hopefully he was just stunned. At least his family and friends look happy so clearly having to move to Sydney isn't an issue for them. Compare this reaction to that of Shannon Grant and his family.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back