Past Ryley Stoddart - delisted 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

QePIovlP.jpg

Ryley Stoddart

Player Profile
Young Sydney Swans defender Ryley Stoddart played four senior games over his first two seasons at the club and has a burning hunger to become an AFL regular in 2020. The 2019 NEAFL Team of the Year member is lightning-quick and loves breaking the lines with his run and carry out of defence. Stoddart is among a host of emerging Sydney backmen, including Lewis Melican, Colin O’Riordan, Jack Maibaum and Will Gould.

Ryley Stoddart

DOB: 15 October 1999
DEBUT: 2018
DRAFT: 2017
RECRUITED FROM: Blackburn (Vic)/Eastern U18

Last edited:
Rankings on Stoddart are widely mixed, from a pick in to 20s to not mentioned in top 30 odd. Seems a reasonable pick 53 though all things considered. Theres not much expectation upon someone at that pick. Has every chance to outperform the two taken before him.

Really love the sound of him, the interview grabs are really impressive and we certainly seem to have a competitor. Love the fact he did not come through the TAC system as the late bloomers are more often than not where the gold lies. His reaction to me suggests there will not be any over awed reaction upon arriving...looks a composed soul. Can't wait to see how this one 's story goes. Welcome Mr Stoddart.

In case you haven't heard them....http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2017-11-28/swan-sounds-our-new-recruits

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Hey guys.
Stoddart was meant to be at Sydney.
His surname is a variation on Stoddard which derives from Stod (stud) and Hierde (herder.)
So basically a Horse worker.

Horse is already taken so maybe Herd or Philly?

Have a bit to do with Eastern. This player may well be the pick of the crop. I like Cerra, Stevo and North, but Stoddart just got better as the year went on, and we know how Sydney always gets the best out of all players.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
Watched this young fella in the very limited minutes he got in the practice match against GWS. Sure didn't let himself or the team down. No standing off, got right into the mix and I reckon the coaches would have been rapt. May not play seniors this year but looks a real chance to make a big impact next season with a year in the system. :D

Skeparovic

Club Legend
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
The more I watch his highlights the more I cannot wait to see him in JLT. Every kick went to the advantage of his team mate! How often do you see that on a highlights reel or from a senior listed player for the Swans?

His dash and dare from the half back line would definitely complement the run which Jones can provide and the silky delivery of Lloyd.

I know it was a highlights reel and the TAC cup where there is more time to think than in the AFL however damn he looked composed!

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
We should call him Ace, as in Ryley Ace of Spys (Riley Ace of Spies).

Once again the bottom dwellers waste their chances and dash their hopes on early draft picks. The Swans continue to choose wisely in what is traditionally our rich vein of late picks.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
The more I watch his highlights the more I cannot wait to see him in JLT. Every kick went to the advantage of his team mate! How often do you see that on a highlights reel or from a senior listed player for the Swans?

His dash and dare from the half back line would definitely complement the run which Jones can provide and the silky delivery of Lloyd.

I know it was a highlights reel and the TAC cup where there is more time to think than in the AFL however damn he looked composed!

I liked his hair too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swans draftee 'turning heads' and in R1 mix

DRAFTEE Ryley Stoddart has "turned a few heads" at Sydney as the defensive playmaker firms for a round one debut, captain Josh Kennedy says.

The 18-year-old is looming as a bargain for the Swans after they used pick No.53 for him in last year's NAB AFL Draft.

Two eye-catching performances in the JLT Community Series have Stoddart well and truly in the mix for the trip to Perth to face West Coast on March 25.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-18/swans-draftee-turning-heads-and-in-r1-mix

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
With Stoddart coming in, does this pave the way for Mills to go into the midfield?
Mills might stay defence all year now I think. It miht be a third tall that sends Mills to the mids, rather than a rebounder.

The exciting thing is that as good as Stoddart is, Ling is right up there with him and we have Newman unable to make the 22 at present. Will be very strong competition for a spot down back.

Jase Cutler

All Australian
Apr 30, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Mills might stay defence all year now I think. It miht be a third tall that sends Mills to the mids, rather than a rebounder.

The exciting thing is that as good as Stoddart is, Ling is right up there with him and we have Newman unable to make the 22 at present. Will be very strong competition for a spot down back.

I'm excited with all these young talents, and having just remembered Blakey signing on makes me even more excited for the next few years!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back