Delisted Jake Spencer

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2004
Phuket
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Scorpions West Ham
Is it worth giving young Jake the next couple of games against Essendon, who only have the one fit ruckman in Ryder and against Brisbane who also only have one fit ruckman in Clark.

He could also go around in round 14 against West Coast, Cox and NicNat would give him a good test.

Have him ruck with Jamar and send Johnson back to Casey for a spell (so he can learn how to dispose of the pill properly).

Also is Jake eligible to be retained on the rookie list again next year, or must we upgrade him to the senior list, if of course we want to keep him.

Is it worth giving young Jake the next couple of games against Essendon, who only have the one fit ruckman in Ryder and against Brisbane who also only have one fit ruckman in Clark.

He could also go around in round 14 against West Coast, Cox and NicNat would give him a good test.

Have him ruck with Jamar and send Johnson back to Casey for a spell (so he can learn how to dispose of the pill properly).

Also is Jake eligible to be retained on the rookie list again next year, or must we upgrade him to the senior list, if of course we want to keep him.

Rookie list contracts are 2 years, this being his 2nd means that he's out of contract at the end of the year.
Not 100% sure on this but we have priority to put him on the senior list by upgrading him, I don't think we get priority to re-rookie him though, and he is still eligible for the draft(as when you apply your application lasts 3 years, he applied 2 years ago) which means other clubs are able to pick him up at whatever pick they deem worthy, either in the ND, PSD or in the rookie draft.

I'd certainly like to see some more games for him. But he has to be playing well at Casey seniors first. I don't see how playing for Melb makes much difference in development if he can't play impressive footy for Casey (not that he's been bad, it seems his main problem has been small injuries).

I think it's fine for Jake to keep playing for Casey... Ruckman take a long time to develop, and he's no exception. He had a taste earlier this year, but his form doesn't warrant him getting a game ahead of PJ or Jamar...

This week, I think PJ may make way for Stef Martin, given that Essendon only have Paddy Ryder to ruck...

Don't underestimate Ryder rucking on his own. We know what happened with Josh Fraser.

I don't think that Martin will play because we have enough key defenders and (if Jurrah plays) we'll have enough key forwards. The only spot we'd really need him in would be as a backup ruckman, in which case we may as well play Johnson.

How's Jake going? Pushing for a spot in the 22 next year?

Still on the rookie list. Jamar is by far our only decent option. Paul Johnson is on borrowed time.

With Gawn and Fitzpatrick arriving this year I think Spencer will need some solid improvement over the next 1 or 2 seasons to keep himself in the picture.

Its possible for Spencer to make it but if Gawn develops quickly he will be given the second spot behind Jamar and Spencer could miss out.

Still on the rookie list. Jamar is by far our only decent option. Paul Johnson is on borrowed time.

With Gawn and Fitzpatrick arriving this year I think Spencer will need some solid improvement over the next 1 or 2 seasons to keep himself in the picture.

Its possible for Spencer to make it but if Gawn develops quickly he will be given the second spot behind Jamar and Spencer could miss out.

He's also behind Meeson IMO despite Meeson being delisted and rookied. A lot of improvement is required for big Spence to make it. Not to say he won't, but if I were a betting man...

He's also behind Meeson IMO despite Meeson being delisted and rookied. A lot of improvement is required for big Spence to make it. Not to say he won't, but if I were a betting man...

Good call. Yeh Messon is ahead of Johnson and Spencer imo - just that he is injured and probably wont be on the park for another 9 months..

We all know that the guy is a liability around the ground. When he does occasionally get to the marking contest, he doesn't look like taking a mark even if all the opponents were lying on the ground dead. Why then was he our starting full forward yesterday and in several games last year?

So maybe he's in solely for his ruck work but when has he ever gotten over 10 hitouts?

Play Stefan Martin!!! He is better than Spencer in every aspect but pure ruckwork and even then he'll probably only get a few less hitouts.

And get Gawn in there sooner rather than later because Spencer has no future beyond this year.

I've already said this a few times but I'll say it again, someone needs to tell him that you cannot dive on the ball and hold it in you will be pinged for holding the ball.

Numerous times yesterday I saw him just dive on the ball and do nothing, I'll applaud him for going into the contest but you can't just stop after diving onto the ball.

I'd rather PJ in there and that's saying something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think that Spencer is a lazy player. He tries hard and we all love that in a player but when it comes to skills and raw ability, you have to draw a line and he's well off it. Spencer wouldn't even be considered for a rookie position at almost every other club.

With Spencer what you see is what you get. A gangly but heavy ruckman who needs to be developed in 1 spot and 1 spot only - the ruck (OMG). Moving him around the ground is pointless at this stage of his experience.

Yesterday he hardly did anything of note however he can genuinely crash a pack and bring the ball to ground so further down the track he may be ok as a resting ruck up forward but there is no point even thinking about that if he can't ruck in the first place. The coaching staff need to develop him where it counts first (over the next couple of years either at MFC or Casey) or we are just wasting time and resources playing him in make-shift roles.

He's highly rated within the club but still very very raw. He needs HEAPS of time at Casey but being one of the only ruckmen on our list not injured we have no choice at the moment. I'd prefer to give him a go ahead of Martin as i dont rate him as a ruckman at all.

Bashing packs is all well and good but what about taking a few pack marks? I can't recall one and I've seen every game he's ever played.
Assuming that is aimed at me, I didn't say that bashing packs was the be all end all of a raw ruckman. I simply pointed out that he does have some weight there (an asset that not many MFC ruckmen have) and bringing the ball to a crumber (if we had any) is legitimate ruck play. Obviously pack marks are preferable (and he may improve - who knows?) but compare Spencer to say PJ, PJ can't even spoil in the first place so I consider Spencer's ability an asset.

Assuming that is aimed at me, I didn't say that bashing packs was the be all end all of a raw ruckman. I simply pointed out that he does have some weight there (an asset that not many MFC ruckmen have) and bringing the ball to a crumber (if we had any) is legitimate ruck play. Obviously pack marks are preferable (and he may improve - who knows?) but compare Spencer to say PJ, PJ can't even spoil in the first place so I consider Spencer's ability an asset.

PJ can't take a pack mark to save himself either but he can get a few touches around the ground at least and is a reasonable kick for a ruckman. PJ is also a bigger unit than Spencer but he doesn't throw it around enough.

PJ can't take a pack mark to save himself either but he can get a few touches around the ground at least and is a reasonable kick for a ruckman. PJ is also a bigger unit than Spencer but he doesn't throw it around enough.
At the expense of his tall player duties and when he has the ball he usually over does it anyway going for passes that were never there. PJ is shorter and can not get over a pack. Spencer can do this and as much as he is underdeveloped atm he at least shows more signs of being an effective taller player than PJ ever will (this is why he is in the team). Jamar keeps it simple and passes to the runners, Spencer needs to learn to do this over time. PJ thinks he is a midfielder when he isn't and as such has no prime role.

The coaching staff obviously see something in him that most of us don't!:confused:

He exhales Carbon Dioxide, and that is good for the grass at Casey Fields.

Im happy with persisting with Spence until PJ or Meeson are back fit, so long as he plays in the ruck then goes to the bench. Jamar is a genuine option up forward the Spence is not.

I still favour the Spence over Stef because he actually has balls and tries hard. Will always have more hit outs than Stef in matches and thats his main roll as a ruckman. Does need to start improving though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back