Retired #34: Andrew Phillips - Retiring at the end of the 2023 season - 8/8

Remove this Banner Ad

He has really held the ruck together this year. Would have been dire without him this year.

Only knock on his game for me is contested marking (like most of our players) but been good on the whole.

Lets our recruiting team look for another ruck. Who is rucking in the VFL, or is the cupboard bare?
Is McBride still around?

Good on him.

He proved he is an AFL calibre ruck during his time with us.

I suspect his true quality would be better reflected as a 120 game player.

Problem was that for a journeyman back up, his body just could not stay together consistently enough for long enough.

Didn’t you call him diabolical last year?

Thanks for the footy memories Flip!

Honestly thought he could easily go another year.
We've had rucks like Hille, Clarke, Bellchambers that hobbled from game after game. Seems odd seeing one go out like this.

078EB08F-6810-4BED-AC1D-ECD151778150.jpeg

Josh Growden (Kicking Consultant YouTuber/former Giant/Former College Punter, Essendon legend Kurt Aylett and young Flipper

death note dolphin GIF
Sad as * @ this news.

Good on him for going out on his terms and following a career best season. Reading between the lines of his farewell speech and Brad Scott's comments in his presser I reckon he's been told he'd be behind Bryan next year; this is the right thing for the club, but understandably Flip has had about enough of being playing 90% of his footy in the seconds. Fare thee well big red.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back