Retired #34: Andrew Phillips - Retiring at the end of the 2023 season - 8/8

34 - phillips.jpg

Contract Status: Out of contract 2023
My Boy Draft 2023: Claim here

Last edited:
Hope he’s self aware enough to know that this is purely a pecking order thing, I think he’s been very impressive and he’s done exactly what we needed him to do if called upon.

MiguelM

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Hope he’s self aware enough to know that this is purely a pecking order thing, I think he’s been very impressive and he’s done exactly what we needed him to do if called upon.
He has been good in patches but was destroyed by Chol IMO. His marking has been good

Just can't go to the next level. Agreed, 3rd in pecking order.

Was easily our best in the VFL today

Cam Roberts arguably agrees with you:
Andrew Phillips
Stats: 20 disposals, 11 marks, 19 hitouts, two tackles

“'Flip' was arguably our best player. He took 11 marks for the day, playing in the ruck and forward. He took a lot of contested marks and just competed really strongly in the ruck for us, so he played a great game.”

Any news on this? Commentators had no clue, they thought he was being held back for our game against the Cats. Lol.
Someone near me asked the trainer and he indicated a hammy but nothing more

Might cause controversy but feel he currently offers more than Draper in the seniors. I also understand getting games into Draper is the priority.

Real pity about the hammy.

Could he play Hookers role next year if needed?

Might cause controversy but feel he currently offers more than Draper in the seniors. I also understand getting games into Draper is the priority.

I believe this to be very controversial

cAsEy_18

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Apr 13, 2007
Frankston
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Yankees, Chelseas, YCW.

You're basing this on Draper's game against Hawthorn I take it?

cAsEy_18

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Apr 13, 2007
Frankston
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Yankees, Chelseas, YCW.
Or Melbourne?

Bit of sarcasm.

Draper dominated in his first game back against Hawthorn, to a level Phillips never has.

Literally one week later, Draper is beaten by the best ruckman in the league. And based off that, we're claiming Phillips might provide more than Draper? C'mon now.

Respect the effort to make a controversial call...but that's too controversial haha.

Hamstring injury confirmed, will miss a few or several weeks

Essendon’s ruck stocks have taken a hit with reliable tall Andrew Phillips suffering a hamstring injury in the VFL Bombers’ loss to Casey on Sunday.

The 29-year-old, who has featured six times for the Bombers in 2021, will miss several weeks.

“Unfortunately, Phillips injured his hamstring early in our VFL game against Casey,” Murphy said.

“He’ll now go into a rehab process and miss a few weeks.”

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Bit of sarcasm.

Draper dominated in his first game back against Hawthorn, to a level Phillips never has.

Literally one week later, Draper is beaten by the best ruckman in the league. And based off that, we're claiming Phillips might provide more than Draper? C'mon now.

Respect the effort to make a controversial call...but that's too controversial haha.
I’ll finish by saying I love what Draper is about. As I’ve mentioned elsewhere he and Bryan will be the best ruck combo in 40 years (Madden brothers).

Random point of interest... he was injured at the start of the year, missed the intra club and both pre-season practice matches, only played two VFL games coming back from injury (and was named emergency in the senior side in the second one). Then straight into the AFL after Draper got hurt, and now that Draper's back Phillips has hurt his hamstring again.

So he's been injured for 4 rounds of the season, and played 3 VFL and 6 AFL games so far. So even though Draper is clearly the #1 ruck, Phillips hasn't actually missed out much due to it, as he's been injured almost whenever Drapes is available... (it's also the reason why Wright was solo ruck for 3 games and even Bryan tried a hand at it).

Back