Remove this Banner Ad

34 - phillips.jpg

Contract Status: Out of contract 2023
My Boy Draft 2023: Claim here

Last edited:

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
He got beaten. And in hindsight probably beaten more comprehensively then any of us realised.

But the effort. Very very good.

I think the main takeaway is that whilst Grundy played a good game, a standard Grundy game really, he didn’t dominate or take over the game.

Philips also was solid and offered us something in return.

Bellchambers likely would have meant offering us very little, and Grundy contributing much more.

I think the main takeaway is that whilst Grundy played a good game, a standard Grundy game really, he didn’t dominate or take over the game.

Philips also was solid and offered us something in return.

Bellchambers likely would have meant offering us very little, and Grundy contributing much more.
Oh I'm not taking anything away from Philips. As I said he was very very good.

Probably says more about Grundy that he lead the Pies in clearances, tackles and had 20 touches and killed the hit outs and yet as you said it only felt like a standard game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

freddy mercury

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Jacksonville
Was really good tonight. No shame in losing to Grundy. Premier ruck of the comp.

Best thing is he is going to keep bellchambers out of the side.

Looking at the stats he got smashed by Grundy in the ruck, but watching his game his performance was tenfold whatever dogshit Bellchambers dishes out winning the hithouts and struggling to run 20m in the match. Would be absolutely spewing if he got "managed" from here.

the PILL

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2007
VICTORIA
AFL Club
Essendon
Well done...

Not only are his second efforts so very refreshing, he's not too bad at them either.

Mongrel second efforts from a ruckman is a bit of an underrated craft i think. At a stoppage it gives you basicly free extra bonus pressure for your mids to work, while quite a few just jog off with the not my job mentality because they scored the prestigious palm. Grundy argubly has become a bit like this since his rise to fame and in a way Andrew exploited it enough being a competing pest and the second efforts helping the contest.

Really enjoyed his game tonight.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
He got beaten. And in hindsight probably beaten more comprehensively then any of us realised.

But the effort. Very very good.
I think expecting him to break even/beat Grundy is probably too much. Grundy dominates the 1v1 against just about every ruck in the comp bar Gawn and maybe Goldstein.

What was important was Phillips doing his bet in the ruck he could, but providing contributing around the ground and competing separate from the ruck duel.

He did that in spades and whilst Grundy played a standard Grundy game, Phillips provided plenty of physicality and effort around the ground.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
Talking on Crunch Time about Flip's game & Pickering noted that talk from clubs he's played at is that he's great first up - the challenge for him is to get more consistency in his game when given the chance.

So he did everything the team needed him to do this week, he doesnt have to win the hitouts each week but he must continue to follow up & contest once the ball hits the ground. Looking forward to watching him next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back