Past #34: Charlie Ham - picked at #16 in '21 MSD - delisted end '21 - thanks Charlie

Remove this Banner Ad

He hasnt had a chance yet with the covid impacted season. Hopefully we can keep him on and give him a fair go next season

Would be a bit ruthless to delist the kid after 2 games in 6 months.

Surely he was taken with a bit of a longer term view.
Football is a ruthless industry, and MSD picks have classily had a terrible retention rate if I recall the stats bandied about mid year.

Minor injury and a COVID ****ed season have done Ham absolutely zero favours.

He hasnt had a chance yet with the covid impacted season. Hopefully we can keep him on and give him a fair go next season
Well should be giving a chance but I think his gone with Hayden staying on will be the downfall fall of him unfortunately plus with talk of Atley could be staying won’t help either
I think Hayden and Atley should be both gone.

Geelong Falcons product Charlie Ham stuck waiting on North Melbourne deal
He was plucked from the Geelong Falcons in June to join the AFL but now Charlie Ham faces a wait on whether he will be back at the level next year.

Josh Barnes

less than 2 min read
October 13, 2021 - 3:02PM
Geelong Advertiser

MID-SEASON draftee Charlie Ham is training hard as he keeps his fingers crossed he will be back at North Melbourne next year.

The Torquay and St Mary’s junior was plucked by the Kangaroos from the Geelong Falcons in June, taken with the 16th pick in the mid-season draft.

The classy left-footer didn’t crack the senior side in his few months on the list and is in limbo waiting for the Roos to reassess their list after the trade period, which ends today.

Ham’s manager Tom Seccull confirmed the teen, who turns 19 next month, was in a holding pattern.

“He’s training and doing everything he can so we’re hopeful (North Melbourne will) give him another year,” Seccull said.

Ham played four VFL matches for the Roos, averaging 11 disposals.

In the days after he was drafted, Ham told the Geelong Addy that North Melbourne coach David Noble saw him as a development project.
“We had a good chat … (Noble) gave me an indication that he wants me as a future prospect,” Ham said in June.

“There is probably a bit more expectation to try and get a game a bit sooner but I am just going to do what I normally do at training, I always give it my all.”

Seriously... why even pick an 18 year old kid up in the mid season draft if you aren't going to give him an actual crack at it? We gave Lachie Hosie 18 months FFS.

IMO if this happens again to another sub 20 y.o kid like it did to Cody Hirst, then I reckon they need to make the mid season draft for 21 and over players.

I understand that footy is a ruthless industry, but destroying an 18 year old's dream in 6 months is a bit much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously... why even pick an 18 year old kid up in the mid season draft if you aren't going to give him an actual crack at it? We gave Lachie Hosie 18 months FFS.

IMO if this happens again to another sub 20 y.o kid like it did to Cody Hirst, then I reckon they need to make the mid season draft for 21 and over players.

I understand that footy is a ruthless industry, but destroying an 18 year old's dream in 6 months is a bit much.
Laying it on thick here RF08. We're talking about 19 year olds here. Actual 18 year olds like Mitch O'Neill get drafted in the rookie and cut 10 months later. Where are the tears for them? Ham should be happy to get a shot, most kids never step in to an AFL club.

Laying it on thick here RF08. We're talking about 19 year olds here. Actual 18 year olds like Mitch O'Neill get drafted in the rookie and cut 10 months later. Where are the tears for them? Ham should be happy to get a shot, most kids never step in to an AFL club.

As Dennis would say..."Gee, AFL football is a jungle"....

To be fair, I probably am a bit....but I just don't like that a kids dream can be taken away from them with less than 6 months to prove themselves. Ham probably would've been better served staying in the NAB league (even though there wasn't any games) and hoping for a late ND or rookie contract. At least he would've got a bit more time to prove himself.

Having spoken to Cody about his experience at Sydney, it was heart breaking for the kid. I just think these younger guys should get a minimum 18 month contract in the mid season. Not 6 months.

100%.

To be fair, I probably am a bit....but I just don't like that a kids dream can be taken away from them with less than 6 months to prove themselves. Ham probably would've been better served staying in the NAB league (even though there wasn't any games) and hoping for a late ND or rookie contract. At least he would've got a bit more time to prove himself.

Having spoken to Cody about his experience at Sydney, it was heart breaking for the kid. I just think these younger guys should get a minimum 18 month contract in the mid season. Not 6 months.
There's probably something to lifting minimum draft contracts across the board. Getting delisted as a very young man is always going to sting a lot.

There's probably something to lifting minimum draft contracts across the board. Getting delisted as a very young man is always going to sting a lot.
When list sizes go back to normal that is a decent idea.
But I doubt MD rookies will ever get more than the 12 months RD picks do.

Last edited:

You could flip it both ways though. 6 months then delisted isn't nice but if the MSD wasn't in place they might've had 0 months on a list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back