Past #34: Charlie Ham - picked at #16 in '21 MSD - delisted end '21 - thanks Charlie

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
1623039636073.png
1623039711823.png

I wonder where would he sit in terms of 2021 ND draft order if we didn’t pick him up or if he hasn’t nominated?

The pick we’ve used on him was basically the extra list spot from Perez moving onto the LTI if I understand it correctly. If we retain him into the next season, which we most likely will, that just gives us one less ND selection, so it’s only worth doing, obviously, if we think that he would command a pick within the third round or better.

Like Edwards being a steal, given that he would most likely be worth a first round pick in the ND.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

disco_cowboy

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I wonder where would he sit in terms of 2021 ND draft order if we didn’t pick him up or if he hasn’t nominated?

The pick we’ve used on him was basically the extra list spot from Perez moving onto the LTI if I understand it correctly. If we retain him into the next season, which we most likely will, that just gives us one less ND selection, so it’s only worth doing, obviously, if we think that he would command a pick within the third round or better.

Like Edwards being a steal, given that he would most likely be worth a first round pick in the ND.

great question

remfan101

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne

He's rookie listed, so is essentially replacing one of Walker/Menadue at the end of the year. Won't have any impact on our ND selections.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne

We are the worst team in the comp - there will be plenty of places at year end for young players that have talent.

Mar 19, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
S.A Spurs, Liverpool
I like this kid, something about it him. I'm driving the bandwagon.

I hear you. When he spoke, I heard someone who's genuinely process driven and understands that he just needs to do simple things well.

Those people normally do well in life.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I hear you. When he spoke, I heard someone who's genuinely process driven and understands that he just needs to do simple things well.

Those people normally do well in life.

Agree, He seems like a very no bullshit, centered kid.

Don't die wondering Charlie. Spud Firrito was a rookie and played 275 games. The ball's in your court now.

Mar 19, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
S.A Spurs, Liverpool
Agree, He seems like a very no bullshit, centered kid.

Don't die wondering Charlie. Spud Firrito was a rookie and played 275 games. The ball's in your court now.

Amen. This is exactly the sort of team a rookie can forge a good 200 game career in.

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Dan Woods - North Media

After taking Jacob Edwards and Charlie Ham in the mid-season draft, there’s plenty of excitement surrounding North Melbourne and just how high the club’s new pair can fly, and arguably none are more excited than senior assistant coach John Blakey.

A smart footballer with a raking left book, Ham’s physical and mental attributes tick a lot of the boxes for how North is trying to play in 2021.

“He’s (Ham’s) got beautiful skills and really catches your eye with the way he’s able to break the game open with that left foot of his,” Blakey said during the latest Member Q&A, presented by AIA.

“[We’re] very excited to have him. He’ll be terrific to help us exit that ball out of defence. He’s able to take a good interest mark as well.

“The beauty of him [is] he really knows how to find the footy and use the footy. He sees options that others don’t.

“We’re excited to get someone with that ability to kick the ball and find those hard to see options in our side.”

Still at school?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Dan Woods - North Media

After taking Jacob Edwards and Charlie Ham in the mid-season draft, there’s plenty of excitement surrounding North Melbourne and just how high the club’s new pair can fly, and arguably none are more excited than senior assistant coach John Blakey.

A smart footballer with a raking left book, Ham’s physical and mental attributes tick a lot of the boxes for how North is trying to play in 2021.

“He’s (Ham’s) got beautiful skills and really catches your eye with the way he’s able to break the game open with that left foot of his,” Blakey said during the latest Member Q&A, presented by AIA.

“[We’re] very excited to have him. He’ll be terrific to help us exit that ball out of defence. He’s able to take a good interest mark as well.

“The beauty of him [is] he really knows how to find the footy and use the footy. He sees options that others don’t.

“We’re excited to get someone with that ability to kick the ball and find those hard to see options in our side.”

Still at school?

It reads like they do not see him as a "prospect" at all, and they have him definitely earmarked for the AFL.

Makes you ponder how highly the rate Edwards too.

Back