Player Watch #34: Jack Graham - Part 2

Oct 7, 2001
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Heart, Furies
I'm not. Why not play Cotchin forward more. He puts more heat on than anyone, can mark a ball. Imagine a forward line with Cotchin, Martin, Jack, Lynch etc.
I think he probably will.

Play Cotchin forward..
I'm not. Why not play Cotchin forward more. He puts more heat on than anyone, can mark a ball. Imagine a forward line with Cotchin, Martin, Jack, Lynch etc.

If vlossy misses I wouldn’t mind him playing that role at half back either
He’s a great mark, and reads the play as good as anyone in the side and can push into the contest when needed to win his own ball

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
If vlossy misses I wouldn’t mind him playing that role at half back either
He’s a great mark, and reads the play as good as anyone in the side and can push into the contest when needed to win his own ball
This. He's too slow to play the role of a small forward in our setup and Caddy would be getting a game as a medium marking forward if anyone was going to.

Let him ease into retirement as a half backer like Matthew Boyd did.

This. He's too slow to play the role of a small forward in our setup and Caddy would be getting a game as a medium marking forward if anyone was going to.

We are also seeing Pendles and Selwood make similar moves to the half backline and making the most of that footy iq

Too much running in the backline. Chimps hammys won't enjoy it
Pretty much running in all positions these days
But forwards tend to have more high speed spiriting compared to the backline

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond

Cotchin is easily faster than Aarts, still has great pace over a short distance and if the ball is in his vicinity you could almost guarantee he will either get it or bury the bloke with it. Probably the best pressure player I have seen at Richmond. Could play half back, but I think he would be a weapon in the forward line and perhaps even extend his career.

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Cotchin is easily faster than Aarts, still has great pace over a short distance and if the ball is in his vicinity you could almost guarantee he will either get it or bury the bloke with it. Probably the best pressure player I have seen at Richmond. Could play half back, but I think he would be a weapon in the forward line and perhaps even extend his career.
As mentioned earlier I don't think he has the repeat sprint efforts required in him anymore...

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
As mentioned earlier I don't think he has the repeat sprint efforts required in him anymore...
Would think playing midfield would need more of that than forward but perhaps as a mainly defensive forward as Rioli is playing you may be right. But I think he could be a bit more in the Dusty mould, one-on-one he would be very hard to beat, and he would hit harder than any small forward playing the game. Less repeated stuff, more impact stuff.

Feb 25, 2007
FNQ
AFL Club
Richmond

My major concern with Cotch spending serious time forward is that he makes Chaos King look like a reliable set shot. ;)

I guess it's possible that less lactic acid in the legs improves his conversion rate enough to get by there, but I wouldn't be holding my breath.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond

I thought chimp looked dangerous playing fwd in the practice games too

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
My major concern with Cotch spending serious time forward is that he makes Chaos King look like a reliable set shot. ;)

I guess it's possible that less lactic acid in the legs improves his conversion rate enough to get by there, but I wouldn't be holding my breath.

With the new rules he will snap everything straight :)

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond

When was the last time George had a set shot, round the corner, everyone's doing it.

Feb 25, 2007
FNQ
AFL Club
Richmond
With the new rules he will snap everything straight :)

Hehe, stranger things have happened. ;)

I remember well the debate pre-drafting Cotch and in his first couple of seasons, where many insisted he would never make a full-time mid because he didn't have the frame, tank or hardness, but that we should play him off the HFF because he was a 50-60 goal a season forward and a sublime kick of the footy.

Which he was, I remember saying in his first few games that he was the most skilled player we'd drafted in the modern era.

Not many things in football would give me more pleasure than to see things turn full circle for Cotch and to see him play deep into his 30's as a dangerous forward who could occasionally run through the middle and lift the side as he has done so magnificently. :thumbsu:

Feb 25, 2007
FNQ
AFL Club
Richmond
When was the last time George had a set shot, round the corner, everyone's doing it.

Yeah, I totally understand it, I kicked the footy better myself around the corner. Felt more natural, felt like you had better control, less margin for error. In Rugby and Gaelic nobody runs straight at the footy, always with a hook.

The older you got - in my era at least - the more coaches would get right up you for doing so until you were forced to kick standard drop punts for goal.

How times have changed - for the better I reckon. Let players do what feels natural and judge by results, not dogma. :thumbsu:

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Hehe, stranger things have happened. ;)

I remember well the debate pre-drafting Cotch and in his first couple of seasons, where many insisted he would never make a full-time mid because he didn't have the frame, tank or hardness, but that we should play him off the HFF because he was a 50-60 goal a season forward and a sublime kick of the footy.

Which he was, I remember saying in his first few games that he was the most skilled player we'd drafted in the modern era.

Not many things in football would give me more pleasure than to see things turn full circle for Cotch and to see him play deep into his 30's as a dangerous forward who could occasionally run through the middle and lift the side as he has done so magnificently. :thumbsu:

What an extremely lovable campaigner cotch is.

Thank God Carlton won the kreuzer kup

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah, I totally understand it, I kicked the footy better myself around the corner. Felt more natural, felt like you had better control, less margin for error. In Rugby and Gaelic nobody runs straight at the footy, always with a hook.

The older you got - in my era at least - the more coaches would get right up you for doing so until you were forced to kick standard drop punts for goal.

How times have changed - for the better I reckon. Let players do what feels natural and judge by results, not dogma. :thumbsu:
I was more Peter Hudson, mongrel floater. A bit how I played really.

Feb 25, 2007
FNQ
AFL Club
Richmond
I was more Peter Hudson, mongrel floater. A bit how I played really.

Hehe, mongrel floaters are always a highlight! :cool:

I grew up kicking drop-kicks in my youngest footy years, was a brilliant way to drill a pass that never went above chest/shoulder height in flight, especially on a windy day. Torp's were practiced regularly - I think it's a real shame the drop punt has almost taken over completely. Practicing all the styles of kicking made you a better kick overall, IMO. You can't begin to kick a proper drop-kick without getting your head fully over the ball and kicking right through it, which is the best technique for drop-punts too.

Back