Player Watch #34: Jack Graham - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

It was obvious the week of the Port game - it was going to be a mistake dropping Graham IMO.

Grigg gets 2 hitouts to the opposition rucks 80

when playing in the middle he is often against a better player like Sidebottom, Whitfield, Gaff and gets smashed

Graham adds more value, his inside work is very important; obviously needs to improve

What do you think the coaches are playing Grigg to win ruck contests? What are you even counting them for? Last time I checked Graham was leading our pressure stats. What needs to improve is the disposals. Need to be the 20s.
So Sidebottom played on Grigg did he?

Grigg lines up in the center bounce pretty often in a non ruck capacity

Grigg is in the bottom 6 of the richmond22

Since we're talking about Graham, I don't think he is playing Rd 1; Conca has gone. We've lost midfield grunt. Sheds to play there? Aarts? Weller?

On Grigg, I certainly hope we uncover a player who takes his spot by the end of this season

Since we're talking about Graham, I don't think he is playing Rd 1; Conca has gone. We've lost midfield grunt. Sheds to play there? Aarts? Weller?
On Grigg, I certainly hope we uncover a player who takes his spot by the end of this season
a few in the know would suggest that with conca and loydy gone and with jackg in the rehab group that ellis will be the man given first crack at making that 2 way hard running mid spot his own who gets his hands dirty in a similar fashion that has seen lambert go from a bits n pieces mid to a star.

a few in the know would suggest that with conca and loydy gone and with jackg in the rehab group that ellis will be the man given first crack at making that 2 way hard running mid spot his own who gets his hands dirty in a similar fashion that has seen lambert go from a bits n pieces mid to a star.
:eek:

Who is this Ellis you speak of?

The mistake was made because Dusty didn't play. It was a real cockup, but I reckon if Dusty had played and we still lost I doubt Dimma would have made the statement

Absolutely entitled to your opinion mate however the fact is Dimma said what he said

I’m expecting mav Weller will be given a chance too while our draftees gather strength

Who do we compare Jack to. Averaged paced short in stature but big in frame INSIDE mid.
Off the top of the head M Crouch. Selwood, Lyons, Adams, Mitchell maybe , Anthony Miles, Nathan Jones, Mav Weller.

Like these blokes he needs to be dominant on the inside because imo he does not have enough tricks on the outside.Needs to double the contested ball he currently gets and that alone will get him up around 20 disposals a game. Needs to win a few more clearances than he does and i hope he is working on his pace and motor.

Who do we compare Jack to. Averaged paced short in stature but big in frame INSIDE mid.
Off the top of the head M Crouch. Selwood, Lyons, Adams, Mitchell maybe , Anthony Miles, Nathan Jones, Mav Weller.

Like these blokes he needs to be dominant on the inside because imo he does not have enough tricks on the outside.Needs to double the contested ball he currently gets and that alone will get him up around 20 disposals a game. Needs to win a few more clearances than he does and i hope he is working on his pace and motor.

Graham has the lowest 'time on ground' percentage at Richmond @ around 70%

Last edited:
Graham has the lowest 'time on ground' percentage at Richmond @ around 70%

hard to get the ball when your on the bench
And that means what Marcel.

Jack averages 71.7% game time for the yr.
The rest of the blokes who went thru midfield averaged between 71% and 84% game time. only 4 had more than 80% game time Martin 82%, Lambert 84%, Grigg 82% and Edwards 80%.

The rest were all within 5% game time.

It is only really the Kpp's who spend more than 90% of time on the ground.
Interesting to note Higgins only had 71.8% game time and Cotchin a paltry 76% game time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And that means what Marcel.

Jack averages 71.7% game time for the yr.
The rest of the blokes who went thru midfield averaged between 71% and 84% game time. only 4 had more than 80% game time Martin 82%, Lambert 84%, Grigg 82% and Edwards 80%.

The rest were all within 5% game time.

It is only really the Kpp's who spend more than 90% of time on the ground.
Interesting to note Higgins only had 71.8% game time and Cotchin a paltry 76% game time.
Graham supplies other stats like pressure and tackling that some of the other guys who get more possessions do not. So he compliments the team and is an intricate part of the jigsaw. If you don't understand that, you don't understand the game.

Graham supplies other stats like pressure and tackling that some of the other guys who get more possessions do not. So he compliments the team and is an intricate part of the jigsaw. If you don't understand that, you don't understand the game.
I understand the better players going around have well rounded games and provide both aspects of the game if you cant see that then you dont understand the game. Less than 14 possesions a game is not good enough even for an all out tagger how much better would our team be if we had players who provided both the defensive and the offensive aspects of the game.It really is not much to ask for you know getting your hands on the ball.

I understand the better players going around have well rounded games and provide both aspects of the game if you cant see that then you dont understand the game. Less than 14 possesions a game is not good enough even for an all out tagger how much better would our team be if we had players who provided both the defensive and the offensive aspects of the game.It really is not much to ask for you know getting your hands on the ball.
When and if we have players that can do all the defensive things that Graham does AND have better offensive aspects, then he will obviously struggle to get a game. The thing is, we do not have such a player as yet. So Graham will continue to get games based on the traits he gives the team for team balance purposes. I would have thought that was obvious.

When and if we have players that can do all the defensive things that Graham does AND have better offensive aspects, then he will obviously struggle to get a game. The thing is, we do not have such a player as yet. So Graham will continue to get games based on the traits he gives the team for team balance purposes. I would have thought that was obvious.
How hard is it to do nothing but chase tackle harass even you could do it.
If the only expectation for our players is to do this then we will have a team of glass half fulls capable of only doing one half of the game.

Simply put the bloke has to round his game out at the level and until he does his worth will continue to be questioned im not sure why people look to defend players deficiencies.

How hard is it to do nothing but chase tackle harass even you could do it.
If the only expectation for our players is to do this then we will have a team of glass half fulls capable of only doing one half of the game.

Simply put the bloke has to round his game out at the level and until he does his worth will continue to be questioned im not sure why people look to defend players deficiencies.
You obviously don't actually bother understanding what other people post or how teams work. The only expectation of our players is 100% clear. Each is to carry out the orders their line coaches and head coach give them. If Graham is told that his primary role is to defend, then he is doing what he is told. If he is being told to get more of the ball then he is failing. He keeps getting games and so I assume he is carrying out the former to the satisfaction of his coaches. So the expectation of all players is different depending on who you are and where you are playing. A team is like a living entity. You cannot have a body with 5 livers and no heart or brain.... FFS it's pretty basic.

You obviously don't actually bother understanding what other people post or how teams work. The only expectation of our players is 100% clear. Each is to carry out the orders their line coaches and head coach give them. If Graham is told that his primary role is to defend, then he is doing what he is told. If he is being told to get more of the ball then he is failing. He keeps getting games and so I assume he is carrying out the former to the satisfaction of his coaches. So the expectation of all players is different depending on who you are and where you are playing. A team is like a living entity. You cannot have a body with 5 livers and no heart or brain.... FFS it's pretty basic.
Your right its pretty basic and very obvious your making excuses for a bloke who is clearly failing in one half of the game.
An inside mid who doesnt get the ball is about as useful as an ashtray on a motor bike.

Dont tell me the coaches dont want him getting more ball ive heard it all now the lengths posters go to defend players weaknesses.

Your right its pretty basic and very obvious your making excuses for a bloke who is clearly failing in one half of the game.
An inside mid who doesnt get the ball is about as useful as an ashtray on a motor bike.

Dont tell me the coaches dont want him getting more ball ive heard it all now the lengths posters go to defend players weaknesses.
Life isn't black and white. It's full of shades of grey. Nobody has said that the coaches don't want him to get more of the ball but they probably do not want him to drop off in the defensive part of the game to get more ball. Get with it man.

Life isn't black and white. It's full of shades of grey. Nobody has said that the coaches don't want him to get more of the ball but they probably do not want him to drop off in the defensive part of the game to get more ball. Get with it man.
Reckon the truth is somewhere in between. Even though he does his job, he needs to up his ball getting. A bit like Grimes, for years he did his job, then all of a sudden he started marking the ball and getting more rebound and he is an AA.
Plenty of time for Graham to improve his game.

Any fool can see theres more to the game than just running chasing and tackling thats not being black or white its plain old common sense get with it bud.
Ever stop to think he lays so many tackles because hes second to the ball.

Last edited:
Reckon the truth is somewhere in between. Even though he does his job, he needs to up his ball getting. A bit like Grimes, for years he did his job, then all of a sudden he started marking the ball and getting more rebound and he is an AA.
Plenty of time for Graham to improve his game.
I want this kid to succeed as much as the next bloke but what i dont get is why we sugar coat his game. He has areas he must improve in the same goes for most of the second 22 and some getting a regular game.

We dont know what the coaches instruct unless your in the inner sanctum. my money says they want him to win more contested ball win more clearances and round his game out so he becomes a very good well rounded player. To suggest they only want half a player who only does the defensive well is ludicrous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back