Player Watch #34: Jack Graham

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I heard Sloane's hero is Jack Graham
Got this poster on his wall.

c63a17231226972cd5f22c211a04d6d9.jpg

Whats the least amoumt of games someone has played with a premiership medallion around their neck?
Players have done it in their first games. Billy James for Richmond debuted in Richmond's first premiership (1920) and never played again. In the modern game Aaron Keating won the 97 flag in his third game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond grand final hero Jack Graham lives teenage dream

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/afl-n...aham-lives-teenage-dream-20171001-gysb9r.html

They say you should never meet your heroes. Jack Graham not only met his hero, he played on him in a grand final, and stopped him in his tracks.

Graham, 19, hadn't played an AFL game until six weeks ago. He still hasn't played in a Richmond defeat, and is now part of yellow and black legend, having kicked three goals and curbed the influence of Adelaide star Rory Sloane in Saturday's grand final win against the Crows.

1506846281500.jpg

Graham's story is one of snakes and ladders. South Australia's under-18 captain, he won the Larke medal for the best player in division one at last year's national championships, but slipped to pick 53 in last year's draft amid concerns with his fitness and his disposal. Then there was the ankle injury that kept him out of the first half of this season. But like so much of Richmond's rise this season, Graham defied the odds, and those draft-day doubters looked a bit silly after he kept Sloane – who had 15 disposals and two goals to half-time – to just six second-half disposals.

"I definitely did look up to him. In your draft year you have to look up to someone, and that's who I picked, Rory," Graham said on Sunday. "[It was] pretty surreal to come up next to him in the middle on grand final day. When Dimma [coach Damien Hardwick] first told me that I was going to have to go to him I was thinking, 'oh hell, what's going to happen here?' [I was] just playing my role for the team. Just get it done. I didn't want to bash him or anything but just push him under a little bit and annoy him. But I respect Rory a lot. Model my game on him. Whatever Dimma told me I had to do."

Graham did lose track of Sloane at one stage on Saturday afternoon – after the game – forgetting to shake the Crow's hand amid the euphoria in the middle of the MCG.

Darryl Wintle – who played three games for Adelaide in 1999 – watched Graham come through the junior ranks as North Adelaide's football manager. Wintle said it shouldn't have been entirely surprising that Graham would make such a big impression so early in his career. "The thing that stands out was just his drive to compete was a major asset he had from an early age. I think we've seen that yesterday," Wintle said.

"He adjusted to playing against men very quickly, mainly due to his body size and his competitiveness.

"We were very surprised [he fell to pick 53]. A lot of the people we spoke to thought he'd go early or mid-second round."

Graham thrilled the long-suffering Tiger Army on Saturday, and his friends and family – of whom he says 80 per cent are Crows fans – also got on board.

"They've all had to jump on the 'Tiger Train' this year which is good," Graham – himself an Adelaide fan growing up – said.

"I haven't even been able to get back to everyone. So much support and love from everyone.

"It still hasn't sunk in. It's an amazing feeling. To see everyone turn up today. It's unreal. My phone's been going crazy."

Was pretty surprised we played him in the QF, not because he wasn't playing well, but just so inexperienced.

Now I'm like... kick me a goal to save my life please, Jack.

Legend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back