Player Watch #34: Jackson Archer

Remove this Banner Ad

ANOTHER Archer is set to land at Arden Street with North Melbourne to nominate prospect Jackson Archer as a father-son for next month's NAB AFL Draft.

The Roos will lodge paperwork that will see them have matching rights to Archer, the son of club great and 'Shinboner of the century' Glenn.

It is set to give the club the option to match a bid if it comes for Archer or, if none come, he can automatically be added to the Roos' list with their last live pick at the national draft.

That is the way it is expected to pan out given the lack of games the 183cm tough and tenacious teenager has played over the past two years in the COVID-19 hit Victorian talent pathway.

Archer, 18, played nine games for the Northern Knights this season in the NAB League largely as a wiry defender who attacks the contest. He wore the No.11 guernsey number worn by his father throughout his 311-game career with the Kangaroos between 1992-2007.

His father is considered one of North's greatest players, being a key player in its 1996 and 1999 premiership triumphs and winning the 1996 Norm Smith Medal. He is viewed as one of the most courageous players to take the field and was a three-time All-Australian backman before then being a director of the club.

Jackson will join Luke McDonald and Bailey Scott as father-sons currently on North Melbourne's list, with the club only ever having four father-son picks in its history – McDonald, Scott, Jesse Smith and Joel Crocker.

The Roos are expected to use five picks at November's draft, including the club's first ever No.1 pick where they are set to take South Adelaide gun Jason Horne-Francis

Last edited:

I am very surprised by this but I guess this means we're taking five picks in the ND.

Welcome aboard Jackson, fantastic news to have another Archer in our ranks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO he will definitely take some time to develop and flourish but he has all the characteristics to be an amazing player like his dad. So committed to the ball, always going 100% into a chase, 100% into tackles, no half arse.

IMO he will definitely take some time to develop and flourish but he has all the characteristics to be an amazing player like his dad. So committed to the ball, always going 100% into a chase, 100% into tackles, no half arse.
I agree , I think he’s a little under rated IMO showed a bit this year . Rachele got hold of him a bit but apart from that he was more than serviceable. An AFL environment will do wonders for him . Hard work & commitment can take you places in this game.

I agree , I think he’s a little under rated IMO showed a bit this year . Rachele got hold of him a bit but apart from that he was more than serviceable. An AFL environment will do wonders for him . Hard work & commitment can take you places in this game.
I was watching that game and he blanketed Rachele in the first half and a bit after he was moved on him. Rachele came back on and just turned it on from the middle of the 3rd quarter and kicked 4.

I was watching that game and he blanketed Rachele in the first half and a bit after he was moved on him. Rachele came back on and just turned it on from the middle of the 3rd quarter and kicked 4.
Yeah you are probably right GR , my recollection was that Rachele had 2 before Jackson was moved onto him ?

Yeah you are probably right GR , my recollection was that Rachele had 2 before Jackson was moved onto him ?
Yeah, he kicked two quick ones in the early minutes of the game before Arch was moved onto him.

Some comments made by Shifter and our own Souup

Listening to Shifter speak about young Jackson Archer in the game against Oakleigh:

'I love the way he moves ,I love the way he uses the ball , and I tell you what, no surprises he runs straight and hard at it, he is as tough as nails and there are promising signs with young Jackson, the way he's unfolding'

Watched the Knights-Chargers game and kept an eye out for him. Wearing the number 11 with blonde hair, spitting image of his dad both in terms of physical appearance and style of play.

I really like his aggression - he really tackles to hurt, and his ability to defend 1-on-1 is solid - kills the high ball really well. His hands really stood out too under pressure - he's really smart with his hands and can release teammates in congestion with nicely weighted handballs. My view over watching him over the course of the season(rather than commenting on anything specific from his game this weekend) is that he's actually super composed. There have been a number of situations in which most players at this level would kick a high ball forward or rush a kick to a general area of the ground whereas Jackson has taken the time to stop, and handball to a teammate in space who will have more time to evaluate what's ahead or kick sideways to retain possession for his side. It shows a lot of maturity and is my main criticism of a large number of kids at under 19's level. The fact Archer already seems quite cool and composed under pressure is a great sign for him moving forward.

My main concern is that he lacks a little bit of pace to the naked eye (not severely) and struggles to find much of the footy throughout the game. His skills are tidy but he generally plays it safe with his kicking which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I'd have no issue with picking him up using a late pick. I think we'd be hoping (and I think it's likely) that we won't need to match any bids for him.

Hard to not be stoked with this.

Would really appreciate anyone that has seen a bit of him to share their thoughts. All I really know is that he’s a good lockdown defender, a fierce competitor & that his kicking is a bit inconsistent.

I would be very surprised if Brady & Luff selected him if it wasn’t warranted (especially with Arch leaving the club recently).

No inside knowledge, but I assume the fact we need young defenders & our future back 6 is an open canvas (bar McKay), only works in his favour.

Hard to not be stoked with this.

Would really appreciate anyone that has seen a bit of him to share their thoughts. All I really know is that he’s a good lockdown defender, a fierce competitor & that his kicking is a bit inconsistent.

I would be very surprised if Brady & Luff selected him if it wasn’t warranted (especially with Arch leaving the club recently).

No inside knowledge, but I assume the fact we need young defenders & our future back 6 is an open canvas (bar McKay), only works in his favour.
See above.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back