Player Watch #34: Jackson Archer

czero

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wrapt for the kid, but tbh I’m almost slightly shocked at this.

We’ve committed a main list spot to him which is pretty increadible. I think he would have been easily selectable in the rookie draft.

Remembering he wasn’t selected in the Vic Metro trial games. I.e the top 40 or so Vic Metro prospects, let alone draft wide prospects.

He wasnt really involved in underage rep sides either.

Brady must have liked what he saw at the Oak Park u/17’s.
Yeah, all of that is true. My only suggestion is that with the lack of game time, the intangibles play a big role in these these covid effected drafts, and those signs are good for where we will play him.

Also, he has a good last name to yell at the footy. :)

Yeah, all of that is true. My only suggestion is that with the lack of game time, the intangibles play a big role in these these covid effected drafts, and those signs are good for where we will play him.

Also, he has a good last name to yell at the footy. :)

Correct and People have to remember he’s been in the father son academy for nearly a decade, played VFL for us a couple of times iirc and is a known quantity so it’s very low risk.

add to that he’s an Archer, a marketing opportunity, a cultural opportunity and a lot of fun.

Mim looking forward towatching VFL next year to watch him develop.

Nov 17, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
To me this latest development with Jared Polec reads that Jackson Archer is rated higher by AFL recruiters than he is on BigFooty.

It seemed like an absolute no-brainer to us commoners to let him slip through to the rookie draft, or alternatively retain his F/S rights and add him to our VFL list with the intention to take him next year, but our commitment to him makes it seem like we think he is a chance to attract a bid.

While this could just mean we view him as a 50-75 prospect, as opposed to the 75+ perception he gets on this site, it's still a positive sign overall. Either way it's hard not to get excited about having another Archer back at the club.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
To me this latest development with Jared Polec reads that Jackson Archer is rated higher by AFL recruiters than he is on BigFooty.

It seemed like an absolute no-brainer to us commoners to let him slip through to the rookie draft, or alternatively retain his F/S rights and add him to our VFL list with the intention to take him next year, but our commitment to him makes it seem like we think he is a chance to attract a bid.

While this could just mean we view him as a 50-75 prospect, as opposed to the 75+ perception he gets on this site, it's still a positive sign overall. Either way it's hard not to get excited about having another Archer back at the club.
He’s Glenns boy, no flashy s**t just get the job done

Sep 11, 2003
Slovenia
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Getting JHF and archer into the team and add them to the hard muthfkers we already have - we’re going to be good and hardasses again
From what I’ve read about Archer (on here from fans who are biased at the best of times, like all supporters) is that his issue will be getting into the team in the first place. If not for his surname he wouldn’t have been picked up (open draft), so he has a long road ahead.

I’m as nostalgic as the next guy and I hope he makes it. I also have no issue with the club taking him on either as it’s likely to cost an insignificant pick which would’ve been speculative anyway.

WesternRoo

Club Legend
Apr 4, 2007
Wattleup Stadium
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Club Oz Cougars
From what I’ve read about Archer (on here from fans who are biased at the best of times, like all supporters) is that his issue will be getting into the team in the first place. If not for his surname he wouldn’t have been picked up (open draft), so he has a long road ahead.

I’m as nostalgic as the next guy and I hope he makes it. I also have no issue with the club taking him on either as it’s likely to cost an insignificant pick which would’ve been speculative anyway.

It's very possible that he has progressed further than what is perceived more broadly due to lack of exposure.

Id almost guarantee it was something that was seen in his VFL outings that has lead our footy department to the conclusion he may make it.

To say he is only getting a look in for his name is a bit of a cheap shot. I'd also suggest quite ignorant, unless you can bring some credible facts on the subject and analysis of Jackson to the table.

Sep 11, 2003
Slovenia
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
It's very possible that he has progressed further than what is perceived more broadly due to lack of exposure.

Id almost guarantee it was something that was seen in his VFL outings that has lead our footy department to the conclusion he may make it.

To say he is only getting a look in for his name is a bit of a cheap shot. I'd also suggest quite ignorant, unless you can bring some credible facts on the subject and analysis of Jackson to the table.
Not a cheap shot at all and I have no idea but if he’s projected to go at 60 (for example) what percentage of players picked up in that range go on to play 100 games? Id imagine less than 10 percent. I’m just trying to be realistic about it and temper expectations. The post I responded to was grouping him with a clear 1# pick.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not a cheap shot at all and I have no idea but if he’s projected to go at 60 (for example) what percentage of players picked up in that range go on to play 100 games? Id imagine less than 10 percent. I’m just trying to be realistic about it and temper expectations. The post I responded to was grouping him with a clear 1# pick.
Yup he's up against it and I think we mostly all recognize that. But he does have a good pedigree and all signs indicate he is potentially as ruthless as his father so I would be expecting him to get more out of himself than most others once he's in an elite AFL environment.

I think he just considers it his responsibility to hold people to account, and probably overcompensates with North because he's known to be a North supporter. Maybe we've been too hard on him, I find a lot of his writing really inane and stupid but I don't think it does as much damage as others seem to believe.
Would be up there with one of the worst posts of the year.

Barrett is scum of the earth.
He perpetuates lies and mistruths and sits front and square at the forefront of those who wish to maintain the most dangerous stereotypes around our club. He is unable to say a nice word about the club he reputedly supports.
Ars*hole (him not you).

Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Would be up there with one of the worst posts of the year.

Barrett is scum of the earth.
He perpetuates lies and mistruths and sits front and square at the forefront of those who wish to maintain the most dangerous stereotypes around our club. He is unable to say a nice word about the club he reputedly supports.
Ars*hole (him not you).

look, if you've met people who work in clubland you'd know that while sometimes the things that get reported about clubs by figures like him or caroline wilson seem unfair to us, they're often true. remember how angry we all were when it was suggested the club hadn't put enough thought into the decision to give the coaching job to rhyce shaw? that one's pretty much been vindicated by history.

i don't think damian barrett should be in charge of putting out a weekly "if x then y" piece during the season because he's not a great analyst of football, but that doesn't mean the things he reports about the behind the scenes machinations of footy clubs are all false. it's perfectly fine to say his writing sucks but that none of us know the man, maybe he thinks he's making the club stronger by holding it to account.

WesternRoo

Club Legend
Apr 4, 2007
Wattleup Stadium
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Club Oz Cougars
look, if you've met people who work in clubland you'd know that while sometimes the things that get reported about clubs by figures like him or caroline wilson seem unfair to us, they're often true. remember how angry we all were when it was suggested the club hadn't put enough thought into the decision to give the coaching job to rhyce shaw? that one's pretty much been vindicated by history.

i don't think damian barrett should be in charge of putting out a weekly "if x then y" piece during the season because he's not a great analyst of football, but that doesn't mean the things he reports about the behind the scenes machinations of footy clubs are all false. it's perfectly fine to say his writing sucks but that none of us know the man, maybe he thinks he's making the club stronger by holding it to account.

I think you are off the mark Liam.

I wouldn't claim to know why, but it's obvious to anyone who reads or listens to his media, that he has a very negative view on the club and many of its stakeholders.

You wouldn't be out of line to accuse him of running and agenda for his own personal gripes for higher powers.

To suggest he has good intentions with the constant torrent of criticism he propagates against the club is quite a stretch.

Last edited:
Back